Striving to save and stay solvent!

Comments

• MeandO
    MeandO Posts: 2,899
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    I had a box of washing powder delivered last night to test for a survey, so that is a little added bonus and will save some pennies. :)

Had a NSD yesterday, today won't be as I need to pick up some fruit, hair dye and a few toiletries I've run out of. Planning on a quick home bargains visit to keep the cost of these down though.

Didn't get the ebay stuff listed or orders made last night, OH popped over with his little one and by the time they'd left and DS was in bed it was too late to get anything other than a shower and hair wash done.
    I really need to get those orders done tonight, ebay can wait now.

Not much else to add today. My parents are both in really bad health and times are worrying at the moment, work is awful and I'm feeling glum about things presently, hope I can shake it off soon. :(
    Mortgage @ 03/2019: £125K, Now: £67,390
    Mortgage OP's 2024: £612.94/£2000 Total OP’s: £8823.50
    SAVINGS: EF: £6423.55/£15,000
  • Hiddenidenity
    Hiddenidenity Posts: 5,423 Forumite
    Keep your chin up, you're doing fab :D x
  • MeandO
    Forumite
    Thank you HiddenIdentity, that was much needed. xx
  • MeandO
    Forumite
    Just over £6 spent yesterday in Home Bargains and everything that I needed was bought, plus a little chocolatey treat for DS. :)

Two extra portions of tarka daal leftovers went into the freezer last night for another day. One portion of mince & sauce taken out to make spaghetti bolognaise for DS today.

Really disappointed to see that some little problem damp patches are coming through the brand new wallpaper I put up throughout the hall areas a few months ago. I guess that's the 'joys' of an old house. :(

Should be getting a quote for the bathroom work today, but won't hold my breath as it's been promised for months now.

I've decided to return a couple of purchases I bought last month which I'd really like to keep and would be helpful, but the balance on the credit card is bothering me more, so that will be another £126 paid off when it's refunded.

Should be another NSD today. I'm planning on tomorrow being the same too, apart from possibly some business postage which will come out of the business account. I have promised to take DS to the cinema at the weekend, so I'm going to try to not spend anything else until then.

Have a good day all
    x
  • MeandO
    Forumite
    edited 30 June 2017 at 10:20AM
    Bathroom quote came through this morning - £1000, which I just don't have. I was hoping it would be nearer the £500 mark but guess I was being optimistic. :(
    I'm not sure what to do as it has to be done, and this guy is trustworthy, recommended and doesn't overcharge like many others, but I have a huge £2k building bill to pay soon and there's only £2,800 in my ISA at the moment. Do I quickly try and save the extra £200 to cover it and then leave myself with no savings at all and then save as much as possible after then to build that pot back up again, or do I just carry on with the building site bathroom. The shower's given up now and is just permanently scalding so DS can't use it, amongst other problems in there.

I could ask my parents to lend me some money, but they never want me to pay it back and, tbh, they've helped me out so much that I feel awful.

Just this presently >>> :(.
  • MeandO
    Forumite
    edited 30 June 2017 at 10:20AM
    Oh, and DS came home with a huge (unfixable) rip to his coat yesterday too so will need a new one. :(

On a plus, I've sorted a couple of items of clothing to return which will bring £21 back into the account. Guess it will have to go straight in the savings pot.
  • MeandO
    Forumite
    I've been thinking about how to make the extra cash all morning, I absolutely have to get that work done so I'm doing what I can to scrape every little bit of cash together.

I've checked my surveys accounts and I currently have about £25, need to get to £35 for payout so will be doing any of those as soon as they come in.

£21 pending to the debit card can go towards it when they items are refunded. Need to post/return to the shop tomorrow.

Ebay - I don't have much to ebay presently, but will list the few bits I do have this weekend. There is nothing of major value but every little will help.

I've promoted my small business this morning in the hope of bringing in a few more orders. July was notoriously a really good month for me and I could earn up to around £700 in a month, but due to plaguerism, unfortunately the last few years it has dwindled to a tiny percentage of that. :( Still, I am grateful for any orders these days.

I'm doing really well with the budgets presently, so I need to keep that up. I've only spent around £25 of the food budget so, if I can come under budget this month (which will be a first!) then I can add any leftover cash to the building fund.

I've meal planned evening meals for the next week now and I have everything in the freezer I need to cover this. I may need to pick up , some milk for DS, a couple of bits to cover packed lunches and some squash but that will be all.

I have forgotten about a birthday that I will need to buy for within the next two weeks but I have a £10 love to shop voucher I was given for my birthday which I could use to buy something.

I will do this! I may not have any money left at the end of it, but I will cover it and start the savings from scratch again!
  • MeandO
    Forumite
    today wasn't a NSD unfortunately, I had to pop out to a shop earlier as there were a few diy bits I needed for the house, but I went to the range and managed to pick up two lovely birthday presents - one for next week's birthday and one is a while off in November, but it was perfect for the recipient. Both only cost me £13.48 combined! :)
    I also picked up some bits for ds's lunchbox next week and a couple of household bits I needed.

Today my lovely parents sent me £20 in the post in payment for a few bits I ordered for them. These only cost under a tenner but they won't take the change despite me telling them they'd overpaid.
    I've transferred the £20 straight into the building savings pot. :)

Finally got the orders done, ready for posting tomorrow, along with a return worth £8.

The high value item was refunded today, so that should be £126 back to the cc now. I will check the balance in a few days.

I've also sorted 3 bags of charity shop stuff which I will also drop off tomorrow as I'm fed up with it taking over my spare room.

Tomorrow is hopefully a day of getting things done and ticking a few off the list!

Have a great weekend all.
  • You have my utmost sympathy...it is a balancing act trying to juggle costs and savings. Hope the promotion of your small business yields some sales.
    paydbx2024 #2 £480/£5000 . Mortgage £144k start ~ £148k Jun 23 -
    2024 savings challenge £5/£2000
    EF £140. Savings 2 £30.00. Weekly savings envelope #17
  • MeandO
    Forumite
    edited 3 July 2017 at 9:05AM
    Thank you Honeysuckle Lou, you're right about the balancing act.

We've had quite a productive morning, all orders were made last night and posted this morning along with the postal return. We took over 3 bags to the charity shop and cleared a big space in my 'office' room. We returned the £14 item and picked up a few bits we'd run out of whilst we were at the supermarket, although I forgot squash, so we'll have to pop back later or tomorrow.

I've washed 3 loads of washing and put it all on the line to dry whilst it is a lovely drying day. I have actually been saving the washing until today as I knew it was going to be a good drying day, thus avoiding the tumble dryer.
    DS's bed has been stripped and changed and the sheets and duvet are billowing nicely on the line.

I've also been researching showers and shower trays and looking for good buys. Not thrilling stuff, but necessary. Have decided I can reuse some of what is already in place to save money, will just give it a good clean up.

We're off to a BBQ shortly. Absolutely not feeling in the mood and am just exhausted for some reason. Every muscle in my body is aching and sore, but I know it won't go down well if we don't go, so we shall show our faces.

Hope the sun is shining for you all.
    x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts