Do you tip in restaurants?

Comments

• takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Kim_kim wrote: »
    I went for a meal last Thursday night, only the Harvester.

I left the obligatory 10% tip - as it's expected to make up wages.

But the service wasn't very good at all. I asked for a coffee with the puddings as we had to leave right after pudding. It never arrived & I couldn't catch her to remind her, so we just asked for it to be removed off the bill.

Why would you leave a 10% tip if the service was bad?

Why do you think you need to make up their wages when they get paid the same minimum wage as other people in the service industry that you don't leave a tip for?
  • Kim_kim
    Kim_kim Posts: 3,726 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    takman wrote: »
    Why would you leave a 10% tip if the service was bad?

Why do you think you need to make up their wages when they get paid the same minimum wage as other people in the service industry that you don't leave a tip for?

It wasn't "bad", it just wasn't good. Plus items were missed.
  • DarkShadow
    DarkShadow Posts: 180 Forumite
    If you think there's a tipping culture in UK, wait till you go US. Pay anything less 25% and you get bad looks.
    Bank accounts
    Santander : 17 year relationship, 0 problems to date.
  • ViolaLass
    ViolaLass Posts: 5,764 Forumite
    DarkShadow wrote: »
    If you think there's a tipping culture in UK, wait till you go US. Pay anything less 25% and you get bad looks.

Although if you're a tourist and unlikely to go back, do you care how they look at you?
  • dawyldthing
    dawyldthing Posts: 3,438 Forumite
    ViolaLass wrote: »
    Although if you're a tourist and unlikely to go back, do you care how they look at you?

I dread to think how expensive it all is now as I went in 2007 and 2008 where it was nearly $2 to the pound so it wasn't too bad. Now I dread to think what the cost of things like eating out are.

Eating out in the UK - I rarely tip. I don't eat out that often either but I don't always think tipping is necessary
    :T:T :beer: :beer::beer::beer: to the lil one :) :beer::beer::beer:
  • Kim_kim
    Kim_kim Posts: 3,726 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I ate out last weekend & this time the service was bad. The waiter made 3 overcharges on the bill.
    We ordered two child prawn cocktails - holding the Childs menu, telling him it was for the children. We were served tiny (7 tiny) prawns cocktail.
    We ordered a large Childs squash, was served a small child's squash & charged for a large adults one.
    It was a Toby carvery, under 3s are free. We had a 2 year old (she's tiny - barely looks 2), he charges for a full Childs meal.

We very politely pointed this out.
    He got quite shouty & said he'd brought the children adults prawn cocktails, well we asked for Childs portions off the Childs menu.
    He blamed the till for the squash, said the Childs drinks were impossible to find.
    He blamed us for the Childs meal because the chef gave us a paying plate. He said we should have got one from him, we said we asked him!!
    We actually waited quite a while to go up, he didn't bring one.

Needless to say we didn't tip him, because he raised his voice so much when we asked him to correct the bill that other diners turned around.
  • AubreyMac
    AubreyMac Posts: 1,723 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I personally think service charge being added to bills should be illegal.

Tipping and how much of it should be down to customers choice and decision. Decent service should be standard in any business.

Last night I had drinks at 'la pain quotidien', I went to the bar to order a wine and was quoted higher than the menu list, when I pointed this out the barman told me there's service charge added. Seriously, what service? I went up to the bar and ordered myself and took the wine there and then. I asked for this to be removed. Service charge being added to drinks in bars is becoming more common too (I do live in London).

I know someone who went on a European cruise and was told (even in itinerary) that £200-300 cash tips was expected per person during their 2 weeks cruise. Apparently this was asked for in the mornings. This ship can hold over 4k passengers and if each tipped £250 that's £1m in tips tax free.
  • bertiewhite
    bertiewhite Posts: 1,904 Forumite
    First Post
    Only if I think that exceptional service has been received, NEVER if it's expected.

Also, I give my tip to the server, I don't agree with sharing tips amongst everyone.
  • misimp
    misimp Posts: 51 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I generally leave a couple of quid - or round up

It shows willing, appreciates the service and , as others have pointed out, the waiter will usually have served 3 or 4 customers in an hour - an extra £6ph on top of their wage

I refuse to go along with the 10% 'rule'

As far as I'm concerned if I have had a decent meal for under £15 I'm happy to leave £2.......but if I have a meal for £50 I reckon the restaurant can
    afford to pay their staff, I'm not going to leave a fiver, the waiter has not worked any harder

AND what about the £5 bottle of wine you have just paid £15 for....then they expect you to add another 10% on top of the obscene profit they are already making just for opening it and bringing it to the table....ermm, I don't think so
  • Tiddlywinks
    Tiddlywinks Posts: 5,777 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Also, I give my tip to the server, I don't agree with sharing tips amongst everyone.

So the waiter gets all the credit for the great tasting, timely delivery of your meal? No thought for the back room kitchen staff?
    :hello:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure