We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Keeping hens and ducks chat.

Options

Comments

• edwink
    edwink Posts: 2,968 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 15 April 2018 at 1:30PM
    Options
    Don't know about anyone else but I do think this Bird Flu problem we have here is stressing their girls out by having to be kept in and away from wild birds. Mine have a fair amount of space thankfully in their coop but on a day like yesterday they hardly got any warm sun in there. It was a beautiful day but because they are covered by a tarpaulin roof and the coop is massively shaded by neighbouring trees they only got a little sun in the coop when the sun shone down from the South. I suppose we must not grumble because hopefully it is keeping them all safe :)

Anyway have done a bit of digging this morning and this is the latest update which is under the heading "documents" from 10th April 2018. It opens a PDF file which has all the latest information.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/avian-influenza-bird-flu-in-europe#history

My intention was to pull out the most important bits to put on here but some of it doesn't make sense to me today :o Maybe I have done too much reading this morning of it all :D

If anyone hears anything further on the outbreak please post on here. Thank you.

Edwink

ETA..... Just found this too which was updated on 13th April 2018. Basically it is a long list showing what has been found week by week. https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/699733/ai-findings-2018.csv/preview
    **3.36 kWp solar panel system, 10 x Ultima & 4 x Panasonic solar panels, Solaredge Inverter **Biomass boiler stove for cooking, hot water & heating **2000ltr Rainwater harvesting system for loo flushing - **Hybrid Toyota Auris car **1 ex-battery hen - RIP Pingu, Hoppy & Ginger ****Hens & Ducks**** chat thread. http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5282209
  • edwink
    edited 17 April 2018 at 6:56PM
    Options
    Aww bless them. Got this short video today sent in an email from The British Hen Welfare Trust. You must watch the little ones dust bathing awwww!!. And all off to a new home. * Warning though* it does show them in their previous cramped battery hen conditions first.

Sorry had to remove the link as was showing personal details from my email account. Will try and put the link on again..... Have tried without my details but it keeps adding them back on again. Oh well. If any of you got the email today from The British Hen Welfare trust maybe you would have more luck than I have getting the link on the thread.

Anyway much nicer weather here now so the girls have been doing a little bit of sunbathing on the South side of their coop today when the sun came round that way this afternoon. We had a few stretched out wings taking in the warm rays which was nice to see for a change. Just can't wait until they will be allowed out again.

Edwink
    **3.36 kWp solar panel system, 10 x Ultima & 4 x Panasonic solar panels, Solaredge Inverter **Biomass boiler stove for cooking, hot water & heating **2000ltr Rainwater harvesting system for loo flushing - **Hybrid Toyota Auris car **1 ex-battery hen - RIP Pingu, Hoppy & Ginger ****Hens & Ducks**** chat thread. http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5282209
  • Cheery_Daff
    Cheery_Daff Posts: 15,710 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Gosh, I hadn't realised they were all still cooped up! I've seen several wandering free round here so assumed they weren't...is it about keeping the hens away from wild birds or just their food? Quite glad we haven't got ours yet! :eek: I'm such a softie I might have to build some kind of giant aviary the size of a field, like the ones they keep vultures in at the zoo :rotfl:
  • edwink
    edited 17 April 2018 at 8:54PM
    Options
    Gosh, I hadn't realised they were all still cooped up! I've seen several wandering free round here so assumed they weren't...is it about keeping the hens away from wild birds or just their food?

Hi Cheery

Its about keeping the wild birds away from the hens and their food. It is only the second time in the past ten years that keeping them undercover has been required AFAIK. Basically last year this happened for around 3 months and this year for around 2 months so far.

Basically they must be undercover where no wild birds have access to them or their feed. So covered over somehow to stop any wild bird droppings or the birds themselves entering the hens coop/enclosure.

Ours have a very large coop so have plenty of space which is great but covering the roof of a large coop has not been without its problems. Although we have a metal bar that goes across our coop both ways and the roof is covered with chicken wire we are getting huge puddles of rain collecting in the four main sections. Its fairy easy to push it off but we have found it a little worrying when the rain has gone on and on. Hubby has had to go out and push all the rain off before we go to bed and then again first thing in the morning. I am sure the roofing bars can cope with the extra weight but there is always an off chance I suppose that it could collapse :(. Hubby says I worry too much and as long as we keep clearing it, it will be fine.

my brother kept hens for over 14 years and I don't remember there ever being a ban on letting them free range when he had his.

Just one of those things I suppose that hen keepers need to make provisions for should the ban on free ranging hens happen again in the future. We planned on putting a permanent roof on the hens coop this year which would solve the problems we are having with tarpaulin on the roof. But, sadly this round of Bird Flu beat us to it. As soon as we are permitted to let them all out again that new roof is going straight on. We are looking to build a roof that can be opened up and closed again if needed. Still in the planning stage but hubby has assured me he is working on it ;)

So when you do get yourself ready for your new hens it maybe worth keeping in mind that they may be required to stay undercover for a while at some stage although it may not happen again. If you factor that in when building their coop you will be well prepared if the free range ban comes in to force again in the future.

Edwink
  • Pyxis
    Pyxis Posts: 46,077 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    edwink wrote: »
    Aww bless them. Got this short video today sent in an email from The British Hen Welfare Trust. You must watch the little ones dust bathing awwww!!. And all off to a new home. * Warning though* it does show them in their previous cramped battery hen conditions first.

Sorry had to remove the link as was showing personal details from my email account. Will try and put the link on again..... Have tried without my details but it keeps adding them back on again. Oh well. If any of you got the email today from The British Hen Welfare trust maybe you would have more luck than I have getting the link on the thread.

Anyway much nicer weather here now so the girls have been doing a little bit of sunbathing on the South side of their coop today when the sun came round that way this afternoon. We had a few stretched out wings taking in the warm rays which was nice to see for a change. Just can't wait until they will be allowed out again.

Edwink

Edwink, regarding the link......... I'm no techhead, but what about if you go to the link's page on the web, and then copy its address from the address bar, and then paste that on here?

That should get round the personal details thing.
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox
    Founder Member: 'WIMPS ANONYMOUS' and 'VICTIMS of the RANDOM HEDGEHOG'
    I'm in a clique! It's a clique of one! It's a unique clique!
    I love :eek:

• edwink
    edited 18 April 2018 at 3:17PM
    Options
    Pyxis wrote: »
    Edwink, regarding the link......... I'm no techhead, but what about if you go to the link's page on the web, and then copy its address from the address bar, and then paste that on here?

That should get round the personal details thing.

No sooner said than done Pyxis thank you. Now why didn't I think of that???

Deleted AGAIN

Mmmm!!! I was confident that that was going to work but again it included my details. Mmmmm!!! Back to the drawing board me thinks

Ok so tried another way by copying and pasting from the address line at the top and that does exactly the same.

Answers on a postcard please!:D

Edwink
  • Pyxis
    Options
    edwink wrote: »
    No sooner said than done Pyxis thank you. Now why didn't I think of that???

Deleted AGAIN

Mmmm!!! I was confident that that was going to work but again it included my details. Mmmmm!!! Back to the drawing board me thinks

Ok so tried another way by copying and pasting from the address line at the top and that does exactly the same.

Answers on a postcard please!:D

Edwink
    How very, very strange!

Right, try this.........google the website of whoever it is you're trying to link to, and get to them that way, then find the page you want, and copy the address bar from that.

I defy it to have your details on it, doing it that way!
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox

• edwink
    edited 18 April 2018 at 4:22PM
    Options
    How very, very strange!

Right, try this.........google the website of whoever it is you're trying to link to, and get to them that way, then find the page you want, and copy the address bar from that.

I defy it to have your details on it, doing it that way!

Ok will do. So ok here is a good start. Just saw this soppy face not to mention that floppy comb on their site so just had to post that first. icon10.gif Come on Edwink concentrate, concentrate.

http://www.bhwt.org.uk/information/spoilt-hens-february-2017/

Right now off to find what I am looking for to post on here. Will be back.

Sorry just couldn't resist posting this one too.

http://www.bhwt.org.uk/information/spoilt-hens-september-2016/

And another

http://www.bhwt.org.uk/information/spoilt-hens-january-2018/

And another

http://www.bhwt.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/14.-Barbara-Hammer-Frieda-1.jpg

Ok so I can managed to copy and paste those but I can not find the article they have sent me. Will keep on looking. Meanwhile I found this little girl. Meet Doris. Awww bless her.

February-2017-Alison-Vaughan-Doris.jpg

Edwink
  • Pyxis
    Options
    Aw!!

Looking at the February one, why is its beak like that?
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• edwink
    edited 18 April 2018 at 7:27PM
    Options
    Aw!!

Looking at the February one, why is its beak like that?

Looks as though she had her lower beak trimmed bless her. They do that when they are really tiny actually a few days old. It is done by infra red and then about 10 days later the end section will just drop off. So called "farmers" of huge flocks do this to them stop the hens from pecking each other. They will still peck but do not draw blood so much. These hens in huge flocks are never kept occupied properly so get rather bored with their surroundings and each other so quite a bit of bullying goes on.

Some are very against this happening to hens but others feel it is safer for the hens in the long run if they are be kept in huge numbers. This is because if they are to be kept together in huge and I mean huge flocks they are not able to peck each other so much therefore there are less injuries and less die from these injuries.

The trouble is hens will go after anything that is RED. So if a hen is bullied and gets frequently pecked at she will obviously be showing a fair amount of blood on her skin. With blood being red she is pecked at even more sometimes until she becomes badly injured. Hens can and do bully each other but in the correct environment they will all live happily besides each other with no problems at all. This sort of problem is most often seen in huge flocks and I am talking in their 1000's.

When hens are first introduced to each other there will always be a little arguing and fighting until the pecking order has been established. Once the pecking order has been established they should lively happily together and make friends with each other. There will always be a top dog when it come to hens and when she ages and realises she is no longer strong enough for the top dog position she will start to take a back seat and another hen with soon replace her.

My little Bluebell hen was top dog for about 4 years until recently. She is 6 this year bless her and she has really slowed down now. She just lets the others get on with it now and spends most of her time sunbathing when the sun is out or sitting somewhere having a mid day nap. They don't bother her and she doesn't bother them. I do like it when there is harmony in the camp I really do.

Edwink
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback