Quick questions on Consumer Rights

Options

Comments

• Rossifumi
    Rossifumi Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    I ordered an iMac from iStore and was given an arrival estimate of 14-21 days which will not now be meet. As it is costing build they are refusing a cancellation and refund. What is my rights?
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Rossifumi wrote: »
    I ordered an iMac from iStore and was given an arrival estimate of 14-21 days which will not now be meet. As it is costing build they are refusing a cancellation and refund. What is my rights?

By istore, do you mean apple.com or somewhere else?
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • LilElvis
    LilElvis Posts: 5,835 Forumite
    Options
    By istore, do you mean apple.com or somewhere else?

Google suggests it might be this site/store

https://www.albion.co.uk
  • Coco23
    Options
    Hi,

A few months ago my diamond came out of my platinum engagement ring (15 years old), luckily I found it but it had a small chip in it so wouldn't still fit the setting. The ring was made to order so I contacted the seller to source a new diamond for replacement as it is a very unusual triangular shape. For a couple of months now the jeweller has fobbed me off with " waiting for my diamond dealer to come back to me". She has acknowledged that this is her work.

I decided to proceed with my insurance claim and sent the ring and diamond to a very reputable jeweller recommended by the insurance company. They called me yesterday to tell me that the diamond is in fact Cubic Zirconia. The band is actually platinum and the jeweller said it was of the highest quality so I find it very confusing that someone would make this item but it seems that this is the case.

The jeweller has always maintained (even 15 years ago) that she uses the highest quality metal and natural gemstones yet CZ is manmade! My boyfriend paid a considerable amount of money for the ring and it was sold to him as a diamond and is obviously furious about this.

I am trying to keep my emotions out of this but it is very difficult and I would like it resolved asap so I can put this behind me and ideally I would like a diamond fitted to the ring that was sold to us 15 years ago. I have asked the insurance company jewellers to provide a quote for this.

What I would like to know is what are my rights?

Just to add as well, this ring has not been away from me in the 15 years so it has not been tampered with.
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,643 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 14 April 2018 at 5:12PM
    Options
    Coco23 wrote: »
    Hi,

A few months ago my diamond came out of my platinum engagement ring (15 years old), luckily I found it but it had a small chip in it so wouldn't still fit the setting. The ring was made to order so I contacted the seller to source a new diamond for replacement as it is a very unusual triangular shape. For a couple of months now the jeweller has fobbed me off with " waiting for my diamond dealer to come back to me". She has acknowledged that this is her work.

I decided to proceed with my insurance claim and sent the ring and diamond to a very reputable jeweller recommended by the insurance company. They called me yesterday to tell me that the diamond is in fact Cubic Zirconia. The band is actually platinum and the jeweller said it was of the highest quality so I find it very confusing that someone would make this item but it seems that this is the case.

The jeweller has always maintained (even 15 years ago) that she uses the highest quality metal and natural gemstones yet CZ is manmade! My boyfriend paid a considerable amount of money for the ring and it was sold to him as a diamond and is obviously furious about this.

I am trying to keep my emotions out of this but it is very difficult and I would like it resolved asap so I can put this behind me and ideally I would like a diamond fitted to the ring that was sold to us 15 years ago. I have asked the insurance company jewellers to provide a quote for this.

What I would like to know is what are my rights?

Just to add as well, this ring has not been away from me in the 15 years so it has not been tampered with.

Does your boyfriend (husband now?) still have the receipt? As he bought the ring, the contract is between him and the supplying jeweller. If the price he paid reflects CZ rather than a diamond, then I cannot see he has much of a case. If the jeweller did cheat him then at the very least he should ask for the difference between what he paid and what he should have paid for a CZ stone.

If he has the receipt he should approach the supplying jeweller and ask what she intends doing about it.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • sm1862
    sm1862 Posts: 8 Forumite
    edited 9 June 2018 at 9:34PM
    Options
    Hi
    Thank you to everyone who helps with this forum..

I purchased a Fiamma caravan awning (£279) online which we now realise is the wrong length. The goods were sent from the companies suppliers and not from their store. The returns policy states that goods sent from thier suppliers cannot be returned but I think this is not inline with the Consumer Contracts regulations, I understand that I will have to pay return delivery costs. Can you please confirm where I stand.

Many thanks.
  • bris
    bris Posts: 10,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    sm1862 wrote: »
    Hi

I purchased a Fiamma caravan awning (£279) online which we now realise is the wrong length. The goods were sent from the companies suppliers and not from their store. The returns policy states that goods sent from thier suppliers cannot be returned but I think this is not inline with the Consumer Contracts regulations, I understand that I will have to pay return delivery costs. Can you please confirm where I stand.

Many thanks.
    It make no difference where the goods were sent from, if it's an off the shelf product and not made to your measurements then distance selling rights according to the CCR's still apply.

You have 14 days to cancel.
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Options
    sm1862 wrote: »
    Hi

Many thanks.

Also to add, you're only liable for return postage costs if comply with their obligations and provide the necessary information prior to you being bound by the contract. Such as that you have the right to cancel, the time limit, conditions and that you'll be liable for return costs (also, if the the goods can't be returned by normal post because they're bulky for example, then how much it will cost to return them).

If they didn't advise you of all that then they are liable for return postage costs.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • LilElvis
    LilElvis Posts: 5,835 Forumite
    Options
    Also to add, you're only liable for return postage costs if comply with their obligations and provide the necessary information prior to you being bound by the contract. Such as that you have the right to cancel, the time limit, conditions and that you'll be liable for return costs (also, if the the goods can't be returned by normal post because they're bulky for example, then how much it will cost to return them).

If they didn't advise you of all that then they are liable for return postage costs.

If the store was this one: https://www.fiammastore.com/static/Deliveries_and_Returns, then it's highly unlikely they complied. Cancellations within 7 days, notification of faulty goods only accepted in first 48 hours following receipt, referring to legislation from 2000 ...... pretty much a joke from beginning to end.
  • sm1862
    sm1862 Posts: 8 Forumite
    Options
    LilElvis wrote: »
    If the store was this one: fiammastore.com, then it's highly unlikely they complied. Cancellations within 7 days, notification of faulty goods only accepted in first 48 hours following receipt, referring to legislation from 2000 ...... pretty much a joke from beginning to end.

It was World of Camping and the goods are despatched from Arleigh International (Unable to post links)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback