MSE News: Virgin Atlantic launches two credit cards - but how do they compare to BA cards?

Former_MSE_Callum
Former_MSE_Callum Posts: 696 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! Newshound!
edited 6 April 2018 at 4:56PM in Credit cards
Virgin Atlantic has relaunched two airline credit cards allowing customers to earn a free flight upgrade or companion ticket. They're good for Virgin collectors but don't have the 'wow' factor of the longstanding British Airways cards...
Read the full story:
'Virgin Atlantic launches two credit cards - but how do they compare to BA cards?'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven't already, join the forum to reply.

Comments

• femster82
    femster82 Posts: 74 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Will the MBNA cards still work or are they getting rid of them?

This is a much worse deal. I might just get rid of it.
  • stevenhp1987
    stevenhp1987 Posts: 907 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    femster82 wrote: »
    Will the MBNA cards still work or are they getting rid of them?

This is a much worse deal. I might just get rid of it.

They will continue to work for now, but they'll go at some point, the same as all non-amex issued amex cards will (are there any left now that you can apply for?!).
  • glider3560
    glider3560 Posts: 4,115 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I've collected a large number of Virgin Atlantic points from work trips. Annoying thing, compared to BA, is the very limited selection of destinations. Also, since their flights are long haul, you're looking at higher "taxes and charges" on most flights compared to redeeming on a short haul flight.
  • PeacefulWaters
    PeacefulWaters Posts: 8,495 Forumite
    glider3560 wrote: »
    I've collected a large number of Virgin Atlantic points from work trips. Annoying thing, compared to BA, is the very limited selection of destinations. Also, since their flights are long haul, you're looking at higher "taxes and charges" on most flights compared to redeeming on a short haul flight.

Apparently KLM and Air France will become options at some point.
  • I am a MBNA 'white card' user - I have been considering ditching for some time. I have around 90,000 miles but whenever I go to select Virgin flights - it ends up costing more than if I went with another airline without using miles....

Started collecting them as I flew to USA 4 years in a row and at the time Virgin were competitively priced...now I feel a bit trapped....
  • PeacefulWaters
    PeacefulWaters Posts: 8,495 Forumite
    I am a MBNA 'white card' user - I have been considering ditching for some time. I have around 90,000 miles but whenever I go to select Virgin flights - it ends up costing more than if I went with another airline without using miles....

Started collecting them as I flew to USA 4 years in a row and at the time Virgin were competitively priced...now I feel a bit trapped....

I'm no Virgin expert, but if you're focusing on economy flights you'll find things tough.

Perhaps switching miles to Hilton or other hotel groups will help you establish value. Or seek out Upper Class redemptions.
  • I am a MBNA 'white card' user - I have been considering ditching for some time. I have around 90,000 miles but whenever I go to select Virgin flights - it ends up costing more than if I went with another airline without using miles....

95k miles for an upper class redemption, or 35k for premium to some locations.

95k for upper class is good value. I booked 2x using 190k points to Cancun for around £1.1k in taxes and surcharges.

There's a good article on HeadForPoints recently about Virgin redemptions.

A good one is 75k First Class (not business!) return to Beijing.

Give it a year or so and KLM/Air France should be redeemable.
  • Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    A good one is 75k First Class (not business!) return to Beijing.
    With which airline? Virgin don't fly to Beijing and certainly don't and never have offered First Class on any flight.
  • glider3560
    glider3560 Posts: 4,115 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Ben8282 wrote: »
    With which airline? Virgin don't fly to Beijing and certainly don't and never have offered First Class on any flight.
    Air China: https://www.virginatlantic.com/gb/en/flying-club/partners/airlines/air-china.html

Who knows what the taxes and charges will be, since you have to phone to book.

I'm sort of miffed with all these airline frequent flyer schemes. The taxes and charges are almost always as much as booking another flight with another airline. The only Virgin redemption which doesn't seem to be like that, would be Hong Kong.
  • I have just emailed Virgins Flying Club to find out if the old Black Amex card is being discontinued.
    As I pay an annual fee I suspect that the old cards will be cancelled on the renewal date.
    I fly Virgin frequently to the USA and have had many free Upper Class trips with them. I'm not convinced that the new cards are in fact a better deal. I hope I'm proved wrong. By the way had a B.A. card before and found it useless to book seats with points.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure