Buying gifts abroad?

Hi,

I want to buy some glass stuff from Prague when I'm there soon. Do I need to declare these?...I mean, are there any other taxes or payments at the airport I need to pay? Thanks.

Comments

• Presumably the duty free allowance is applicable ?

What is the likely value of the goods ?
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,275
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Forumite
    It's in the EU so no taxes, unless customs suspect you're intending to sell them when you get back, would probably only apply if you were buying a large amount of anything.
  • ipri
    ipri Posts: 649 Forumite
    A couple of glass objects...around £100 ish
  • phatbear
    phatbear Posts: 4,031
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    As previously stated the czech republic is a full member of the eu so there is not limit on the items you may wish to bring back to the uk
    Live each day like its your last because one day you'll be right
  • zagfles wrote: »
    It's in the EU so no taxes, unless customs suspect you're intending to sell them when you get back, would probably only apply if you were buying a large amount of anything.

Customs can suspect or prove whatever they like.
    If the Op wished, they could legally buy any amount of items in Prague and provided that the applicable taxes and duties were paid at the time of purchase, bring them back to the UK with the intention of selling them.
  • zagfles
    Forumite
    Customs can suspect or prove whatever they like.
    If the Op wished, they could legally buy any amount of items in Prague and provided that the applicable taxes and duties were paid at the time of purchase, bring them back to the UK with the intention of selling them.
    Try going to the EU and buying a vanload of cigarettes and booze and seeing what customs do. I'm sure our resident customs officer will tell you shortly...

Or you could just look at official government guidance:

https://www.gov.uk/duty-free-goods/arrivals-from-eu-countries
  • zagfles wrote: »
    Try going to the EU and buying a vanload of cigarettes and booze and seeing what customs do. I'm sure our resident customs officer will tell you shortly...

Or you could just look at official government guidance:

https://www.gov.uk/duty-free-goods/arrivals-from-eu-countries

I must have missed the bit where the OP mentioned bringing in tobacco or alcohol. I could have sworn they mentioned bringing in "glass stuff"
  • zagfles
    Forumite
    I must have missed the bit where the OP mentioned bringing in tobacco or alcohol. I could have sworn they mentioned bringing in "glass stuff"
    Err...and I could have sworn the OP said they were gifts. Oh yes, right there in the title of this thread. No mention of selling at all. You gave an example of something the OP isn't going to do. So did I.

You're wrong anyway, just admit it and move on instead of digging. The link above makes it clear it applies to "goods", not just cigarettes and booze. They're just the usual things people smuggle as the margin in the tax rate is highest.
  • ipri
    ipri Posts: 649 Forumite
    thanks to all...no fighting please!!
  • Doshwaster
    Doshwaster Posts: 6,130
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    If you are going shopping in Prague (or anywhere else in the EU) then make sure you do it this year as goodness knows what the rules will be in little over 12 months time.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure