French account in £s

Hi
Is it possible to open a deposit / savings account in France with the money held in pounds and not euros?
Thanks

Comments

• You need to ask the French banks.
    In theory it should be possible just like you can have an Euro account here (at a cost).
  • Sarastro
    Sarastro Posts: 400 Forumite
    I think you'd be clobbered by unfavourable exchange rates and fees every time you spent anything from the french account. What are you trying to achieve? There may be UK banks who offer better or why not one of the travel credit cards that allows you to spend overseas with tiny fees?
    Debt 1/1/17 - Credit Cards £17,280.23; overdrafts £3,777.24
    Debt 5/1/18 - Credit Cards £3,188; overdrafts £0
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,564 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    As Sarastro says, if such accounts exist they will be expensive and lack useful facility, the same as foreign currency accounts with UK banks. If you mention your purpose there are probably better solutions.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • Have you tried Revolut?
  • Notebook
    Notebook Posts: 285 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Will take a look. Thanks
  • Anthorn
    Anthorn Posts: 4,362 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Notebook wrote: »
    Hi
    Is it possible to open a deposit / savings account in France with the money held in pounds and not euros?
    Thanks

For a regular domestic bank account in France, deposits in pounds are automatically converted to Euros and vice versa automatically converted to pounds when you transfer to a UK bank from your French bank account. That's how I'm currently clobbered. Overall consider the exchange rate when considering a deposit/transfer. However French banks do currency and expatriate accounts just the same as UK banks and most other country's banks.
  • Hazzanet
    Hazzanet Posts: 1,713 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    https://www.britline.com/banking-currency-account.html
    Open a Sterling Currency Account

This account is available to Britline customers who hold a € current account. The minimum balance required to open the account is £1,000 (either by sterling cheque, sterling transfer or transfer from € account). The £ account allows you to hold your funds in sterling until the time is right for you to convert into euros.
  • CA_Britline
    CA_Britline Posts: 3 Organisation Representative
    Britline can propose instant access accounts in sterling (no means of payment) or short term fixed accounts - depending on interest rates available. They can also propose these in different currencies. As the rates are constantly changing it is best to contact them directly via britline.com or by tel 00.33.2.31.55.67.89
    Verified Company
    This is the verified forum account of Britline. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the Verified Companies list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • RPJOCTOBER wrote: »
    Britline can propose instant access accounts in sterling (no means of payment) or short term fixed accounts - depending on interest rates available. They can also propose these in different currencies. As the rates are constantly changing it is best to contact them directly via britline.com or by tel 00.33.2.31.55.67.89

Do you have anything to do with this company at all?
    First post and all that?
  • Do you know if you can get a card so that you can withdraw money in the uk?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure