Do you tip in restaurants?

Comments

• scd3scd4
    scd3scd4 Posts: 1,180 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Kim_kim wrote: »
    It’s because I used to be a waitress back in the day that I’m against tipping & would rather see a fair set wage.

My mother also used to be a waitress, when she developed breast cancer & had to have a full mastectomy she faced 6 months on a wage she couldn’t live on without tips - as a single parent.

I don't think that's going to happen because you don't tip.
  • Kim_kim
    Kim_kim Posts: 3,726 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    scd3scd4 wrote: »
    I don't think that's going to happen because you don't tip.

If customers didn’t top up restaurants low pay then good staff would go elsewhere & earn minimum wage doing something much easier.
    Waitressing is physically hard & the hours are as unsociable as they come. You’ll always be working when people are celebrating.
  • Although I don't really agree with tipping in principle I still find myself doing it every now and again.

For me the restaurant should pay a fair wage and the tips shouldn't be needed to top up earnings.
  • adonis10
    adonis10 Posts: 1,810 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Although I don't really agree with tipping in principle I still find myself doing it every now and again.

For me the restaurant should pay a fair wage and the tips shouldn't be needed to top up earnings.

Agreed. I think they should also be far more transparent about where the service charge ends up - if they can spare the space to say on the menu they can find a little extra to say "all service charges will be paid directly to the waiting staff", "all service charges will be distributed amongst the staff at the manager's discretion" or words to that effect. I see the service charge as just another income stream in the absence of words to the contrary.
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,684 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    There are many workers on minimum wage who do not get tips.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Although I don't really agree with tipping in principle I still find myself doing it every now and again.

So how much exactly is a fair wage for someone who carries plates of food and writes down an order/enters it into a computer?. It's a low skilled job which requires little training.
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,457 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    takman wrote: »
    So how much exactly is a fair wage for someone who carries plates of food and writes down an order/enters it into a computer?. It's a low skilled job which requires little training.

You've obviously never worked in a restaurant. Or if you have I expect you didn't last long.
  • warehouse
    warehouse Posts: 3,362 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Tipping for bang average service is simply ridiculous. For me to tip it needs to have been an exceptional meal with exceptional waiting staff. Let me know where I can go to expect that.
    Pants
  • glider3560
    glider3560 Posts: 4,115 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Nick_C wrote: »
    You've obviously never worked in a restaurant. Or if you have I expect you didn't last long.
    You could say that about many minimum wage jobs, which are far more physically demanding than a waiter/waitress but don't get tips.
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post

Wait....what was that you said in another thread:
    Resorting to personal attacks does nothing to advance your argument.

So not only are you unable to explain why you don't agree with my comments your also a hypocrite :rotfl:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback