And now the fuse is lit...

Comments

• A bit late with the simplehuman bins. I came across them last year, looking for a compartment bin, and couldn't believe just how expensive they were! We ended up with 2 separate bins from Ikea, I think they were £5 each, but they are angular so fitted together in the space we had.
  • ZTD
    ZTD Posts: 24,327 Forumite
    Butti wrote: »
    We bought 3 £5 kettles for a business centre and they were good.

Well to be fair, my previous kettle which cost about £3.60 about 10 years ago is still going strong. I just fancied a change. The new £5.60 kettle (60% more expensive... :eek: :rotfl:) seems quite good too. Boils water relatively quickly, and is quite a nice pourer.
    In other news.....I've found your diary :money::money::money:

It's not that exciting. Just full of tales of woe about how drives through dark roads in the country nearly end in cowtastrophe.

Having said that, tonight I met a couple of people who'd decided to walk their dogs down an unlit country lane. Didn't see them all that well either - probably due to the long dark clothing they were wearing. They were, quite literally, not the brightest of people...
    A friend steered me away from memory foam because I am a woman of a certain age. Said her teenage son loves it though!!

Well I am fairly warm anyway, so probably not the best for me either.
    What I learnt was never to put your bed in storage because 'things' live in storage!

Keep you company at nights...
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "We were born and raised in a summer haze." Adele 'Someone like you.'
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • ZTD
    Silence101 wrote: »
    A bit late with the simplehuman bins. I came across them last year, looking for a compartment bin, and couldn't believe just how expensive they were! We ended up with 2 separate bins from Ikea, I think they were £5 each, but they are angular so fitted together in the space we had.

Yes, that's pretty much the way I'm heading. Something cheap from Ikea or Asda. Ultimately it's a plastic bucket to hold rubbish without looking too plastic bucketish...
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,360 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    ZTD wrote: »

Did you find the memory foam ones hot?

Yes! This was one of the first things that put me off! we slept on one at a holiday place we rented and it certainly didn't give the best nights sleep - and that was in the winter! :eek:
    Came back to this house in the dark last night. Met a cow. For such a large creature, they're damn near invisible as matt black against an unlit hedge. Fortunately - very fortunately - not standing in the middle of the road, as that would have been excitement I could well have done without.

The only thing that gave it away even up pretty close was that it's eyes light up like cats' eyes.

Which I didn't know until last night...

I like cows, but I don't want to meet one in those circumstances.

I *think* that all mammals eyes do that if hit by light at the right angle - think about "red eye" in photos taken with flash - that's something similar.
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • ZTD
    I like cows, but I don't want to meet one in those circumstances.

I *think* that all mammals eyes do that if hit by light at the right angle - think about "red eye" in photos taken with flash - that's something similar.

Humans just have capillaries in the back of their eyes, when a flash bounces off it, it shows up vampire red. Cats and dogs on the other hand, have this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tapetum_lucidum reflective coating in the back of their eyes - the high reflectivity is what "cats eyes" road markings are named after.

I thought cows didn't and were like people - red eye only. But they're not. Though to be fair, I've not been that close to a cow with headlights before...
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • ZTD
    One of the light switches has developed a fault and let the magic smoke out. I shall get that replaced...
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • ZTD
    Woo...isn't it windy?

Fortunately, the house hides behind a much larger house, so doesn't get much wind when it blows from this direction. However, probably still need to get the roof tightened up in the next couple of years.
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • ZTD
    You know you're rural when a couple of cows are craning their necks from behind their fence, trying to see what you're up to in your dining room...
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,186 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    And in more financy type news. Bought diesel and went to a garage which was 2p cheaper than other local garages - according to petrolprices that is.

Nope...

Still bought some as the warning had come on and was displaying a petrol pump on my dash with pleading little pixels...

Mine does that too:rotfl:
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,186 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    You know you're rural when a couple of cows are craning their necks from behind their fence, trying to see what you're up to in your dining room...

Dining room~~posh.
    I sit at my kitchen table:rotfl:
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure