PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Advice on putting in an offer

Comments

• casson2006
    casson2006 Posts: 98 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    North west- we've been looking at areas in Cheshire/greater Manchester for last two years. The markets crazy around here, they are usually sold in a day or two!
  • bertiewhite
    bertiewhite Posts: 1,904 Forumite
    First Post
    My house was put back on the market after it fell through, at the same price - £145K. I cheekily asked what it ACTUALLY sold for and of course the EA wouldn't tell me. I asked if it was £140K and she said she couldn't tell me so I asked if it was £135K and she again told me that she couldn't say but she did crack a smile so that's the price I offered and it got accepted straight away :cool:
  • Lauralou79
    Lauralou79 Posts: 268 Forumite
    Can confirm that the north west/greater Manchester area housing market is speedy. Most decent houses under £200,000 seem to be selling within days. Including the one we are currently in the process of buying.... We viewed 2 days after it being put up and then offer accepted 2 days later! Was difficult in deciding offers as we knew it would go fast!
  • Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    casson2006 wrote: »
    Yeah we've got a plan, as we expect it will get rejected.
    We've gone through this quite a few times now so I'm sure a bidding war will commence! Just seems like a lot of people in this area will go over asking price! We've agreed a price we'll go up to.

Thought it had been on the market for two years?
  • Crashy_Time
    casson2006 wrote: »
    Me and my husband have been looking to buy a house for awhile now. We are due to view a property tomorrow that seems perfect for us. Its a property that has just come back onto the market because the chain has fallen through. The estate agent said the sellers are desperate to sell because of this.

We are first time buyers in no chain with an AIP and ready to move as quick as possible. The property was originally listed in October 2016 @ £279,950 and now its been listed @ £289,950. Does this seem like a reasonable amount to increase it by in that space of time?

The house itself is a 3 bed semi and not many have sold in the area over the last couple of years, so its hard to judge.[/QUOTE]

I would wait until the French elections and any UK General election are out of the way before making offers on a house.
  • Have patience, estate agents always play this game, more offers/viewings etc.

It's tough but that's the way it is. There's little point in offering too low, especially as the market's strong with rising prices.
  • Crashy_Time
    http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/billions-wiped-off-value-of-homes-1-8494169

...and it will be billions more if the French elections go the way pundits are now predicting.
  • juniordoc
    juniordoc Posts: 366 Forumite
    Yep all this political turmoil makes it a very risky time to be a first time buyer! Think we will very soon be seeing the back of 95% LTV mortgages.
    Credit crunch round 2!
  • Lauralou79
    Lauralou79 Posts: 268 Forumite
    Myself and my partner need a home. So we are buying a house. The mortgage is only twice our joint income. The house is suitable for our long term needs and is in a nice area. If we waited for political or financial stability we would be waiting forever and we ain't getting any younger!
  • Crashy_Time
    Lauralou79 wrote: »
    Myself and my partner need a home. So we are buying a house. The mortgage is only twice our joint income. The house is suitable for our long term needs and is in a nice area. If we waited for political or financial stability we would be waiting forever and we ain't getting any younger!

It is the people who bought at 6 or 7 times their income who need to worry, not you :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure