Removing offer from eBay listing

Is there a way of stopping the 'make an offer' from eBay listings. I am realistic with my starting bid but then I get stupid offers.

Comments

• messia07
    messia07 Posts: 212 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 23 August 2019 at 10:37PM
    Is there a way of stopping the 'make an offer' from eBay listings. I am realistic with my starting bid but then I get stupid offers.

yes. if you edit the auction listing, there is a tick box under your asking price.

ive also started receiving silly offers from big time ebay members, who i imagine want to resell my items at profit .

maybe its a new trend?
  • charlies_mum
    charlies_mum Posts: 8,118 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    I find when I have the Best offer ticked, I get offers of about 4O% of the price. I work in an Antiques centre and am seeing the same thing there.

It's the fault of the TV programmes where they show people being given massive discounts,
    You're only young once, but you can be immature forever :D
  • Thanks for the responses it's been a while since I'd listed on eBay but I don't remember that being the default option.
  • POPPYOSCAR
    POPPYOSCAR Posts: 14,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I find when I have the Best offer ticked, I get offers of about 4O% of the price. I work in an Antiques centre and am seeing the same thing there.

It's the fault of the TV programmes where they show people being given massive discounts,

I have always thought how ridiculous that is.

They only do it for the TV show which is so fake.
  • charlies_mum
    charlies_mum Posts: 8,118 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    POPPYOSCAR wrote: »
    I have always thought how ridiculous that is.

They only do it for the TV show which is so fake.

I have encountered the Antiques Road Trip crew several times, and the discounts given were not fake, but some dealers were ridiculously generous.
    You're only young once, but you can be immature forever :D
  • lindens
    lindens Posts: 2,870 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    you can also leave best offer on but set up automated declines so you are not bothered by stupid low ball offers
    You're not your * could have not of * Debt not dept *
  • Fortunately I received a bid for my starting price so didn't need to respond. Thanks everyone for your help.
  • vacheron
    vacheron Posts: 1,603 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    I have best offer set on the majority of my auctions.

I tend to get starting offers of between 75-90% of the list price, and after a bit of to and fro we normally end up meeting around the middle somewhere.

I generally set an "automatically reject offers" price of between 30-60% of the list price so I don't have to deal with the deluded.

However, as I have mentioned previously, around 50% of my items sell at the list price without the buyer even having a punt at throwing me an initial offer which I still think is a bit odd.
    • The rich buy assets.
    • The poor only have expenses.
    • The middle class buy liabilities they think are assets.
    Robert T. Kiyosaki
  • The item has now sold for more than the starting price.
  • mimi1234
    mimi1234 Posts: 7,949 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Sorry to leap in OP.

If I list off my mobile, it automatically adds the "make an offer" option even when I have specifically unticked it. It's so annoying especially when the offer price eBay have shoved on is like 35% of the price I have listed it for. I've had this numerous times even when I have unticked the box.

I now list off my laptop, saves the hassle of getting random offers of people with me thinking "why are they able to make me an offer when I unticked that box?".
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure