PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

A Simpler Life 2018

Comments

• GQ, what is bramble stitch please?
    Fashion on the ration challenge 2023: 66 - 2 = 64 - 1.5 = 62.5
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    GQ, what is bramble stitch please?
    :) There you go, pet: https://www.thespruce.com/learn-about-the-trinity-stitch-2117150

A stitch of many aliases, it seems. Mum has made me several sweaters over the years in this stitch, she had a bit of thing for it at one point. It's attractive and interestingly organic, like berries. HTH.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • K.Mack
    K.Mack Posts: 31 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Just been catching up on the thread. There has been lots of chatter the last couple of days!
    Shoe size - I'm a size 4 - 5 depending. My poor mother is a size 2! She doesn't like kids shoes though so end up going into Pavers everytime she comes to visit me to see what there is. Most of the time she gets her shoes on holiday from the likes of Spain who have small shoe sizes.

-

Also I work in customer service of sorts and some of the attitudes of customers is terrible. I've grown quite a thick skin because of it but now and again one will really get to me and I have to take a break to recouperate. They are the ones where you can do everything in your power to help them but it's never good enough and then they start verbally attacking me personally. There's just no need, It stresses me out and it stresses 'you' out so just calm down dear :D

-

This weekend I'm going to have a bit of a clear out in the house,especially the spare room and my wardrobe.There's stuff in the wardrobe that is falling to bits :o I've even bought a new cage for the rats to downsize :rotfl:
    The cage I currently have is huge and has seen better days to be honest. It's getting more difficult to clean due to the wear and tear of it as well.

Also wonder if hubby would notice if his wardrobe was downsized? :A He's not my favourite person at the moment so might wait until I'm more objective about it, otherwise I won't be his favourite person for a while :rotfl:
  • Hi GreyQueen,

My current favourite is basket stitch. I am knitting a scarf for my brother. Only have 8 more rows & casting off to do. Then the bit I really dislike, weaving in all the ends as it is a fairly long 3 colour scarf - it seems to take forever.

My only trouble is usually once I start knitting everything else falls by the wayside. However all you lovely people are keeping me on track with decluttering, baking and my current pitiful attempts at Kondo-ing. Just baked a coconut & cherry loaf and a focaccia.

Goodnight everyone & talk to you tomorrow.
    Be Kind. Stay Safe. Break the Chain. Save Lives. 

2024 Savings Pot Challenge: As a monthly amount, running total = £116.85
    Jan £5; Feb £13; Mch £25; Apr £31:65; May £42.20; Jun £??; July £??; Aug £??; Sep £??; Oct £??; Nov £??; Dec £??.  Grand Total £??
  • Caterina
    Caterina Posts: 5,919 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    GreyQueen wrote: »
    :) There you go, pet: https://www.thespruce.com/learn-about-the-trinity-stitch-2117150

A stitch of many aliases, it seems. Mum has made me several sweaters over the years in this stitch, she had a bit of thing for it at one point. It's attractive and interestingly organic, like berries. HTH.

I don't understand the 4th row, does it start from K3tog before creating the extra stitches? Thank you!
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
  • Caterina wrote: »
    I don't understand the 4th row, does it start from K3tog before creating the extra stitches? Thank you!

Yes, that is correct you start row 4 by purling three stitches together. Only the pattern is purl 3 tog not knit

The P3tog and the k1, p1 and k1 are all done on the same stitch. This is the part of the pattern that causes the bobble effect. You purl 3 together so that you do not end up with too many stitches as you are adding extra stitches, plus it also adds bulk to the bobble.

- Start by placing the right hand needle into three stitches on the left hand needle purlwise.
    - Wrap the wool to make the purl 3 together, pull the right hand needle through the stitches however at the end of the purl 3 tog do not take the stitch of the left hand needle
    - The wool you are using to knit with will be in front of your needles. Take this and pass it over the needles between the left and right needle (the stitch on the right hand needle is the one created by the purl 3 tog and the one on the left needle is the one you have not yet slipped off the needle after doing the purl 3 tog)
    - Then knit into the stitch that is still on the left hand needle
    - Then bring the wool to the front again and purl a stitch and then wool to the back again and knit into the stitch and at this point finally slip the stitch of the left hand needle.

You might need to pull the stitch a bit tighter than normal to make sure the bobble is not too 'baggy'.

I hope this makes sense. :)
  • Thank you for all of those clear and comprehensive responses, especially to Grey Queen.
  • Aril
    Aril Posts: 1,877 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Hello. This thread sounds just right for me as a launch pad for 2018 and where I want to be heading. Thought I should introduce myself first! Will go back and read up on the thread from the beginning over the next few days and then hopefully I will be able to make some contributions.
    Arilx
    Aiming for a life of elegant frugality wearing a new-to-me silk shirt rather than one of hair!
  • Aril wrote: »
    Hello. This thread sounds just right for me as a launch pad for 2018 and where I want to be heading. Thought I should introduce myself first! Will go back and read up on the thread from the beginning over the next few days and then hopefully I will be able to make some contributions.
    Arilx

Love your tag line Aril and welcome from a fellow newbie!
    Be Kind. Stay Safe. Break the Chain. Save Lives. 

2024 Savings Pot Challenge: As a monthly amount, running total = £116.85
    Jan £5; Feb £13; Mch £25; Apr £31:65; May £42.20; Jun £??; July £??; Aug £??; Sep £??; Oct £??; Nov £??; Dec £??.  Grand Total £??
  • gran3
    gran3 Posts: 239 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Lessonlearned, I did the same 'divorce' with my brother 12 years ago after a succession of incidents which I could no longer ignore. My grandchildren don't know I have a brother and that's how it'll stay. He wont affect their lives the he did mine and my children. Sayschezza, my husband does what you do. It is by far and away the most aggravating thing he ever does. Not criticising but the to the recipient it feels like a lack of support. Not in the driving thing but in general, if I say anyone has been a problem or done something I didn't like,he will always argue their side and it feels like he doesn't have my back. At times it's been a real problem. It makes you wonder if you can rely on them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure