Post Office* Online Saver account - useless

Comments

• Peelerfart
    Peelerfart Posts: 2,177 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    And I had no trouble with atom! Just put me right off opening an account with these guy's.
    Space available for rent
  • LHZ
    LHZ Posts: 54 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    WHAT a fiasco. I opened a Post Office online saver account on Tuesday then I tried to transfer a large opening balance from my 123 Santander account using the 'transfer via nominated account' function on the PO website. I then realised that it said it would take 3 - 5 working days to transfer. Sod that I thought, I'll cancel the transfer and do it via BACS so I contacted Post Office and spoke to someone in their Belfast offices. Their systems were down so they couldn't help. I rang again the next day and I managed to speak to someone who said that I needed to talk to the nominated account (Santander) to get the transfer stopped.

I spoke to Santander and they said they couldn't see any reference to a pending payment or a direct bank transfer. So back to Post Office again and today it became apparent that the 'transfer from nominated account' facility involves Post Office setting up a one off direct debit mandate that wouldn't reach my PO savings account until 23rd October - that would be over 10 days since I made the transfer!!!! I asked the Post Office representative for his name and he HUNG UP on me.

I then contacted Santander with the knowledge that we were looking for a direct debit mandate and they were then able to find it and cancel it for me. I then transferred the initial funds across. I've made three transfers into the PO saving account now and every one of those has been delayed. It seems to take up to 2 hours for the payment transfer to show which when you are transferring relatively large sums can be somewhat disconcerting. Poor show so far.
  • Xenon
    Xenon Posts: 233 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I was looking at this account but now having second thoughts.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 30,920 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    LHZ wrote: »
    I've made three transfers into the PO saving account now and every one of those has been delayed. It seems to take up to 2 hours for the payment transfer to show which when you are transferring relatively large sums can be somewhat disconcerting.
    I'd see your other complaints as justified but not this one - the mandated service level for inter-bank Faster Payments (it's not BACS for this btw) is receipt by the end of the next working day! Yes, it's often quicker and in some cases can be practically instantaneous (especially between institutions who are direct participants, see http://www.fasterpayments.org.uk/about-us/current-participants), but if you feel that two hours is unacceptable then you probably ought to lower your expectations....
  • My own fault as it is in the T&C's, but just a heads up that you have to wait 8 working days after the account is opened to withdraw anything.
  • Been trying for a week to set up new account as want to transfer from existing account. It's such an archaic system, that it logs me out of my account and I have to enter all my personal details again, only to be told every time that the system is down and to try again in a few hours. Called them and they told me the system had beeen 'down' for a while, but no idea when it would be 'up' again. Well the 'system' can't be down as others seem to be able to get the account and I can log in to my existing account - which by the way is 'clunky'. Not worth the hassle and I'll be looking elsewhere.
  • I've just opened an Online Saver with Post Office and was about to deposit a large lump sum. I'm glad I spotted this thread when I did.

My initial concern was in regard to what appears to be fairly lax login criteria compared to most banks these days,

User ID. (all numeric)
    Date of birth. (could potentially be found easily elsewhere)
    6 digit numeric security code.
  • although I can pay money in I can't take money out.
    I'm looking at potential replacements for Tesco and the Post Orifice is one possibility.
    From this comment i see they haven't changed since the last time i experienced them as this quote was the issue i had with them back then too. I say I but it was my sisters account. I can't remember the year but i'd say probably anywhere between 7-10 years ago. Could pay in but couldn't take out & this went on for months. Kept trying, kept trying but no joy.

In the end she just closed the account & said to hell with it.

If i do set it up then it'll only be a £1 per month thing so i'll only be missing out on interest on very small amounts, nothing to get excited about.

Still, i'd expected them to have pulled their finger out by now, it's been long enough.
  • if it's so useless why does anyone open an account?
  • I'm looking at potential replacements for Tesco and the Post Orifice is one possibility.
    capital0ne wrote: »
    if it's so useless why does anyone open an account?
    Hmmmmm.....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport