PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

A Simpler Life 2018

Comments

• Cottage_Economy
    Cottage_Economy Posts: 1,227 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 10 January 2018 at 2:06PM
    My sentiments exactly! Kids just don't need so much stuff. They don't cherish things if they have too much. One of my favourite presents as a kid was a small basket with fruit shaped soaps in, for some reason I have always remembered that pressie. I can honestly say I would prefer a nice bar of lavender soap than a designer handbag or [STRIKE]useless[/STRIKE] fancy chef kitchen accessory.

I agree. It's because people equate love with gifts. A small amount of gifts must mean you don't love them. There is also a trend for buying bigger and better gifts every year.

I see it with my family. They want to 'demonstrate their love' by ever larger and more expensive gifts every year. If they want to demonstrate their love, they can cook the flipping Christmas dinner to give me a rest! Go out and rake up the leaves so I can lie in the bath and read.

But no. Let's try and persuade her to have a TV in her bedroom as the poor thing doesn't have one (she doesn't have one because she goes to the bedroom to sleep, not watch TV, and doesn't want that monstrosity taking up space).

And they take offence when I say no, I don't want it! Arrrggghhhhhh.

And breathe.
  • bexster1975
    bexster1975 Posts: 1,576 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Due to a significant change in circumstances ( all good, and chosen) I asked for some unusual things too for Christmas. Instead of stuff I asked for my Amazon prime to be paid, national trust membership ( starting from March), local wildlife membership, a magazine subscription and otherwise Amazon vouchers. I don't need any stuff, but these things will be valuable all year, and make my new simpler life easier/cheaper every single month. I didn't have many things to open, but I also haven't needed to find homes for lots of stuff either.

Bexster :)
  • I would love the onion bhaji & chickpea pancake recipes, mentioned earlier.

My decluttering is going well, though has slowed down considerably in the last few days, been doing too many lunches and i'm rushing out to meet a friend now, but needed the chats. I have toiletries (today, today ....), Kitchen & pantry & papers left to do, that's it. I really am becoming very minimal. I have a few bits I want to buy, but when something enters the house, i'm gonna try and part with something. I also have a spare room that needs a quick makeover and to be let.

My lodger got a free month trial of Netflicks and gave me the password, bless - I think we might need to keep it. Yesterday watched 'The True Cost' & 'The Minimalists', I am going to watch 'Rotten' tonight, a documentary about food. Hopefully it will make me feel less begrudging on splashing out on organic.

Just a quickie, I went into Shoe Zone yesterday to get some boxes and they had a box for recycling old shoes. Really good if you have some that are at their end.
  • A quick comment re the 'whites' - in olden days :rotfl: those whites were likely to be cotton or linen. These days they're more likely to have polyester or man made fibres included, and it's usually not appropriate to wash them at 60 deg. The man made fibres can attract other colour from the water, and that's why white bras (for example) often end up looking dingy and why it makes sense to wash whites separately. I use Napisan in my white washes, and it keeps things looking nice and bright. For those washing everything at 30 deg, it's worth doing a hot wash occasionally for the sake of your machine, which can develop a bad smell. I do sheets and towels at 60, everything else at 40.
    Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.
  • wort
    wort Posts: 1,672 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    I use an eco egg for washing I've had no problems.
    I sort lights and darks clothing. But do separate wash for bedding and towels 60°.
    I have to say it's not just whites that look grubby, the uniform we have at work includes a cream blouse, and the number of women that are now sporting a grubby looking blouse is amazing!!! We know who sorts their laundry out!
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
  • One of my favourite 'presents' is a magazine subscription which usually involves some sort of 'offer' for the first 6 copies and getting a magazine through the post once a month feels like 12 presents rather than just one!
  • elmer
    elmer Posts: 901 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    putting her feet up and having a truffle or two.:rotfl:[/QUOTE]

GreyQueen are you talking about me? and do you want to share the truffles with our feet up?:rotfl:

elmer
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    :D Only if they're HM rum truffles with real cream, I wouldn't want you to think I was easy, or something........ :rotfl:

I must flit back to the tidying and simplification, things are at that state of disorder where it appears that my flat has been done over by a particularly vicious gang of noctoural light removal experts. :o
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • elmer
    elmer Posts: 901 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    They are v posh truffles from Costco, She had two bags,which I pointed out was too many for her to eat, so Ive blagged one for me, I too need to get on, Im supposed to be sorting the washing and making tea, not putting my feet up eating forbidden items and MSEing !!

elmer
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    :) I'm tidying, kondo-ing, waiting for the washer to finish, about to clean a bit of melted stuff off the sole plate of the oven and contemplating a YS run.......... busy busy busy.......
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills