MSE Poll: Do you pay cash in hand for any of these services?

Poll started 9 January 2018

Do you pay cash in hand for any of these services?

With an increased focus on tax collection, investigations have shown billions of extra revenues could be collected if there were more formal payments for casual work. Yet in many industries cash in hand is still commonplace.

Which of the following would you typically pay cash in hand for?

For services you use REGULARLY please select whether you pay cash in hand or in a traceable way (eg, cash with receipt/invoice or via cheque, card or bank transfer).

Did you vote? Are you surprised at the results so far? Have your say below. To see the results from last time, click here.

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.

Thanks! :)

[purplesignup][/purplesignup]

Comments

• pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    When paying a tenner to a window cleaner it seems daft to use anything other than cash.

It’s up to him to declare his income properly and honestly.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • borkid
    borkid Posts: 2,475 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Car Insurance Carver!
    pollypenny wrote: »
    When paying a tenner to a window cleaner it seems daft to use anything other than cash.

It’s up to him to declare his income properly and honestly.

Exactly there are some amounts where it isn't worth paying in a traceable way. Also with businesses having to pay to pay in cheques I'd rather give small payments in cash, at least they can be used directly for food etc. I don't really want to keep lots of bank details to pay relatively small amounts from people I know and trust.

If it were a new, to me, person and a large amount or work that might show problems later on then I'd pay by traceable means but that's to protect myself.
  • It`s difficult, this one. I`d pay cash unless it was a service that I might have a problem with at a later stage..eg. a builder. Plumbing, window cleaning etc, nobody has a facility for one to pay by credit/debit card. I would prefer to pay by this way as it`s traceable and more revenue would probably be collected. This would help pay for our schools and our hospitals .The culture of cash -in-hand is unsustainable if we want a better society. My friend`s husband is a plumber and he has a , "cash drawer" where he puts his cash(obviously). I know he gets paid for some of his jobs CIH. His wife uses this money to pay for dance /drama/ballet etc classes for their little girl. This is spreading the money around and other people benefit..like the dance teacher..but it does mean that PAYE people are at a disadvantage.
  • The amount of tax not collected for these limited services would surely be a drop in the ocean anyway compared to the avoidance schemes used by the big corporations... I would much rather that HMRC focused on that!
  • Trillions are lost deliberately by this government - the same party that passed all the tax loop hole laws so they and the people who donate to the conservative party can get away with paying no tax at all.

The prime ministers husband works for a company that promotes tax avoidance, this says it all.

I think we should all stop paying tax until the 1% start paying, especially the royal family who are the biggest takers of all, the queen who is the head of the church of england could afford to rehouse every single person who is homeless in the UK but she chooses not to, that says a lot to me about her religion and all the rest of the religions in the world that do nothing to help those who really need it.

People who are billionaires will never use all their money, it's wrong that they keep it in bank a/cs - there is so much more it could be spent on to help millions in the world who need help.
  • I pay my gardener and window cleaner in cash because that's the only form of payment they accept for domestic clients.
  • I always pay cash in hand as much as I can. Taxation is theft, so this allows them the opportunity (if they want) to keep more of the money they earned. When at a restaurant, I don't leave a tip. I give them money and tell them it is a "personal gift" and NOT a tip. I explain that tips are taxed but personal gifts are not. That way they are able to keep more of the money I give them. Anyone who takes money from you without consent is stealing.
  • Do you pay cash in hand for any of these services?

I pay for some services in "cash" because it is more convenient. "Cash in hand" is a term made up by those who think paying in cash is inherently wrong.
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I pay for some services in "cash" because it is more convenient. "Cash in hand" is a term made up by those who think paying in cash is inherently wrong.

"Cash in hand" is a term used when you want to pay cash so that you can avoid paying VAT.

It doesn't have anything to do with saying paying in cash is wrong.
  • Quite agree senseicads

MrsSD
    Be Kind. Stay Safe. Break the Chain. Save Lives. 

2024 Savings Pot Challenge: As a monthly amount, running total = £116.85
    Jan £5; Feb £13; Mch £25; Apr £31:65; May £42.20; Jun £??; July £??; Aug £??; Sep £??; Oct £??; Nov £??; Dec £??.  Grand Total £??
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure