PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Rolled over into periodic tenancy - giving notice of 6 weeks rather than 4 weeks?

Options
I had an annual AST which rolled over into a periodic tenancy last September. There wasn't any new contract, it just rolled over and continued merrily along.

Rental period is 13th of each month to 12th of next month; paid monthly.

I understand I can give 4 weeks notice to move out before e.g. 13th Feb. What if I want to move out not on 13th Feb or 13th March, but say e.g. 1st March instead?

Can I just give notice now that I wish to terminate the contract but on the 1st March? Or will I have to terminate/pay up to 13th March? I understand rolling over means that any terms about giving notice in the original contract are irrelevant.

Ta for any advice!

Comments

• Lysimache
    Lysimache Posts: 192 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've helped Parliament
    edited 5 January 2018 at 9:56AM
    Options
    Not a fixed term, btw. There's no end date at the moment...

From looking online it seems I can only try to negotiate to try to get an end date inbetween the months, I can't just give lots of advance notice and end it in the middle of the month? Hm.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Lysimache wrote: »
    I had an annual AST which rolled over into a periodic tenancy last September. There wasn't any new contract, it just rolled over and continued merrily along.

I understand I can give 4 weeks notice to move out before e.g. 13th Feb. What if I want to move out not on 13th Feb or 13th March, but say e.g. 1st March instead?

Can I just give notice now that I wish to terminate the contract but on the 1st March? Or will I have to terminate/pay up to 13th March? I understand rolling over means that any terms about giving notice in the original contract are irrelevant.

Ta for any advice!

No, your notice must be a minimum of 1 month (if rental period is monthly, which it sounds like it is) and it must end at the end of a rental period.

You can give as many week notice as you want, assuming it's more than one month, but it must end on the 12th in your case. (the 13th would take you into the next period)

- the above can be negotiated, but you cannot force the issue.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Not a fixed term, btw. There's no end date at the moment...

From looking online it seems I can only try to negotiate to try to get an end date inbetween the months, I can't just give lots of advance notice and end it in the middle of the month? Hm.

yep, correct.
  • saajan_12
    saajan_12 Posts: 3,621 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

I understand I can give 4 weeks notice - that would be 28 days.. you can give one rental period notice ie a block 13th -> 12thto move out before e.g. 13th Feb-
    no, 12th feb.. 13th would be the first of a new period, meaning you're liable for an extra period rent.
    . What if I want to move out not on 13th Feb or 13th March, but say e.g. 1st March instead? - you can ask the LL and you can both mutually CHOOSE to terminate the tenancy on a particular day.
    However the LL doesn't have to agree.

Can I just give notice now that I wish to terminate the contract but on the 1st March? - noOr will I have to terminate/pay up to 13th March? - that's the starting point, yes. From there you can try to negotiate something with the LL. I understand rolling over means that any terms about giving notice in the original contract are irrelevant. No. Terms such as the method for serving valid notice, address carry on. Also are you on a CPT or SPT? If the contract mentioned what happens AFTER the fixed term, then you're likely on a CPT and the terms in the original contract are exactly what matter.

Ta for any advice!

Check if you're on a CPT - ie if the original contract outlines the terms of a periodic tenancy after the fixed term, then the notice is as per those terms.

Otherwise, you must give 1 full tenancy period notice to terminate if on a SPT. So serve notice by the 13th of a month and vacate by the 12th of the next month.

To alter this, you may negotiate with the LL and mutually surrender IF they agree. Both parties can dictate whatever terms (e.g. extra rent/fees)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure