SOA advice please

Hello I'm posting this on behalf of a friend who is having trouble logging in to the forum. Her monthly expenses add up to £915 right now and she has a job where she earns £900. No IPA at the moment. She has the opportunity of a new job earning the dizzy heights of £1000-1100 but is worried about taking it because she may get an IPA. Crazy really, considering her low wage.

Does anyone have experience of the OR's treatment of relaively low earners? Any ideas for areas which could be increased a tad? She has no dependents, unmarried etc.

Rent inc. bills in a house share 450
Medicine 10
Dentist+opticians 35
Public transport (for work-no car) 75
Phone 25
Presents 10
Groceries 130
Toiletries 70
Hair 10
Domestic expenses 20
Clothing 50
Holidays 20
Emergency fund 10
TOTAL £915 /month

INCOME £900 / month

Comments

• I was a low eaner approx £1,000 and my examiner moved items around to avoid an I.P.A.
    The groceries can certainly go up by another £100, another £10 on hair.
  • Nice to hear a positive story! My dealings with the OR have been positive too so I hope my friend has a similar experience to yours.

As she submitted the above SOA at the beginning is there a possibility the OR would take a dim view of food suddenly increasing by £100, for example? Or is each one taken on its individual merits?
  • they put down what they could afford for food...now more income they can afford to eat better.
    When do they become discharged?
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 14 December 2017 at 2:06PM
    LincsPaul wrote: »
    Rent inc. bills in a house share 450
    Medicine 10 For what? She can get a prescription certificate if she needs a lot of prescription drugs.
    Dentist+opticians 35 NHS dentist and opticians
    Public transport (for work-no car) 75
    Phone 25
    Presents 10 Broke, can't afford them.
    Groceries 130 Far too much for a single person, £10-£20 a week for food shopping should be the target
    Toiletries 70 Again far too much, should be less than £20 a month. Needs to cut back on the smellies.
    Hair 10
    Domestic expenses 20
    Clothing 50 Needs to stop buying some for a while. What she has should last a few years.
    Holidays 20 She's broke, she can't afford to go on holiday
    Emergency fund 10
    TOTAL £915 /month

INCOME £900 / month

So adjust what I've mentioned in red and there's between £150 and £200 in savings. Whilst I understand that she wants to increase what she puts down the truth of the matter is that she is already above what you can live for. I doubt that she'll get an IPA on an income of £1000 a month.
  • Tarambor, the OP has made it clear that their friend does not want an IPA. To try to ensure this they are asking for advice on whether or not they are putting all allowable expenses.

You advised them to lower their expenses. This is bad advice as it would most likely result in an IPA. Just because someone can live on less doesn't mean they have too, especially when trying to avoid an IPA.

To say that it's unlikely they will get an IPA if they earn £1,000 per month is also bad advice. An IPA will likely be given if you have £20 or more per month left over after expenses regardless of how much you earn.
  • Firstly, the question was: what allowances will the OR agree to, not how cheaply can a single person live. The original numbers above have already been accepted by the OR so ask yourself why on earth would she or they be looking to decrease them?

Secondly, she isn't broke, she's an undischarged bankrupt with a job, liveable salary and no debt.
  • IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    Tarambor, the OP has made it clear that their friend does not want an IPA. To try to ensure this they are asking for advice on whether or not they are putting all allowable expenses.

You advised them to lower their expenses. This is bad advice as it would most likely result in an IPA. Just because someone can live on less doesn't mean they have too, especially when trying to avoid an IPA.

To say that it's unlikely they will get an IPA if they earn £1,000 per month is also bad advice. An IPA will likely be given if you have £20 or more per month left over after expenses regardless of how much you earn.

Freeing up money to pay towards debts is never bad advice.

OP £70 a month on toiletries is ridiculous, what is she buying? They might allow a little more on food but that should include toiletries.
  • LincsPaul
    LincsPaul Posts: 131 Forumite
    edited 14 December 2017 at 3:39PM
    Food is quite low so I presume toiletries includes all the house cleaning products, personal cleaning, toilet rolls and laundry (not cheap these days).

From my recollection the forms do not contain definitions for each category, unfortunately. I'd ask for clarification here but my thread seems to be mainly attracting the burn-them-in-hell brigade, who I suspect have no experience of bankruptcy, so I'm not sure how much help they can offer. Thanks for the [STRIKE]advice[/STRIKE] opinions though chaps! ;o)
  • debt_doctor
    debt_doctor Posts: 4,595 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi,
    Those expenses are more than reasonable and could be increased if the income allowed. No justification for an IPA.
    DD
    Debt Doctor, Debt caseworker, Citizens' Advice Bureau .
    Impartial debt advice services: Citizens Advice Bureau Find your local CAB *** National Debtline - Tel: 0808 808 4000*** BSC No. 100 ***
  • NekoZombie
    NekoZombie Posts: 1,664 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Tarambor wrote: »
    So adjust what I've mentioned in red and there's between £150 and £200 in savings. Whilst I understand that she wants to increase what she puts down the truth of the matter is that she is already above what you can live for. I doubt that she'll get an IPA on an income of £1000 a month.

Unnecessarily harsh post. Assuming the person seeking advice is going bankrupt, this is a fresh start for them. That means living within their means, yes, but it does not mean following the same approach as someone looking to free up money to clear debt ASAP.

Even bankrupts have the right to a certain quality of life once on the other side.
    BCSC Member 70:j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport