PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

The NEW waiting to exchange thread...

Options

Comments

• Surrey_EA
    Surrey_EA Posts: 2,042 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'm so glad I found this thread today - we are now nearly 5 weeks on from accepting an offer and it's nice to hear other people's stories and experiences.

The survey on our house came back fine and we are now waiting for the results of the searches to come back. I think it's been 2 weeks now waiting for the searches to be done, so I'm hoping that next week we will be able to exchange, as our EA said they usually take 2-3 weeks.

I'm not the most patient of people, so I can't wait for all of the waiting to be over and done with! We are lucky that our buyer is no longer part of a chain, as his house sale completed a little while ago so he is staying somewhere else temporarily. We're hoping to complete early November.

Natbag - sorry to hear you've been going through a tough time with your sale - I really hope everything works out well for you in the end
    The average property transaction takes 12 weeks. Please prepare yourself for not exchanging next week.

Just because the searches are back does not mean that everything else will be ready. There could well be information contained within the search results that requires further investigation, or additional documents to be produced by the seller. If so, this could easily take another couple of weeks.

As hard as it is try and be patient, these things rarely happen as quickly as we would like.
  • Natbag
    Natbag Posts: 1,563 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks everyone. There's some confusion about whether the lack of mortgage offer is down to the lender thinking they needed to see the electrician's report (they don't) or whether it's the missing reference/detail that's the issue. No idea, but all we can do it wait until Monday to find out the score.
    Property buying/selling timeline - currently into week 21
    04/12/20: Both properties listed for sale
    11/01/21: Offers accepted on both sales & on our joint purchase
    25/01/21: Identity checks completed, solicitors instructed
    27/01/21: Purchase survey & valuation complete, mortgage offer received 
    05/02/21: Reduction agreed on partner's sale (under-valuation) & on purchase. Mortgage offer amended
    08/02/21: Buyers pack returned to solicitor - sellers packs already returned
    26/02/21: Partner's sale contract signed
    10/03/21: Purchase searches all back
    16/03/21: My sale contract signed
    28/03/21: Purchase enquiries satisfied, Title Report & contracts issued, contracts signed & returned
    11/05/21: Still waiting on final enquiry in the adjoining chain to be resolved. Consent to break the chain granted, instruction to move to exchange given.
    17/05/21: All parties agreed to June 3rd for completion
    27/05/21: Exchanged on my sale only
    28/05/21: ALL EXCHANGED!
    03/06/21: Completion
  • Fiesto88
    Fiesto88 Posts: 137 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Surrey_EA wrote: »
    The average property transaction takes 12 weeks. Please prepare yourself for not exchanging next week.

Just because the searches are back does not mean that everything else will be ready. There could well be information contained within the search results that requires further investigation, or additional documents to be produced by the seller. If so, this could easily take another couple of weeks.

As hard as it is try and be patient, these things rarely happen as quickly as we would like.

One thing I’d add from my own experience is, being patient doesn’t mean being silent. It is reasonable to want to know exactly what’s happening and whose court the ball is in. Had I not regularly got the EA to check this, we’d still be waiting for our seller to realise there was a list of enquiries sitting in his junk email box. And, subsequent to that, probably still waiting for his solicitor to get round to sending the response to our solicitor. And subsequent to that, still waiting for their solicitor to inform the seller that additional paperwork was needed that would require contact with the local council to discharge an outstanding condition on a conditionally approved planning consent.

Never assume everybody else is being efficient as, in my experience, they almost always aren’t and had I chased more aggressively at the start, we might have completed by now.
  • Upsy_Staffordshire
    Options
    Surrey_EA wrote: »

Don't worry, I'm not presuming it will definitely happen! Just being optimistic :o

We have already dealt with additional enquiries, so we will see if they have anymore. I'm hopeful that the searches will be fine, as ours came back fine when we bought the house, so we will see.

We aren't able to move until the start of November, so we have plenty of time yet, but I can't help but want to get the exchanging part out of the way so we can settle on a completion date :D

Fiesto88 I totally agree with you. I've found that chasing for information and trying to be super efficient has helped the sale to move quickly :)
    Thank you to everyone who posts on here :)
  • Pumpkim
    Pumpkim Posts: 214 Forumite
    Options
    A letter from the solicitor today to confirm that the two outstanding issues on our purchase are resolved. Just waiting to hear that our buyer is satisfied with our answers to her final few queries, got a feeling she will want a gas safety check on the boiler. We had it serviced before putting it on the market in April but didn't get a gas safety certificate for it, wish I had now!
    Going to contact the solicitor on Monday to see if we are any closer to agreeing an exchange date. I hate not having a definite moving date, I like to be in control!
  • Natbag
    Options
    Pumpkin, can you not ask the company/tradesperson who serviced the boiler to issue you with a backdated certificate - they/you should have a record of the work to go on.
    I'm in the same boat, I just want to know all is set and to get a date. I've been keeping busy this weekend having a clear out and putting some stuff away - not packing as such, but getting a bit more organised. Still nervous about Monday, but trying not to think too much about it and keep positive!
    05/02/21: Reduction agreed on partner's sale (under-valuation) & on purchase. Mortgage offer amended
    28/03/21: Purchase enquiries satisfied, Title Report & contracts issued, contracts signed & returned
    11/05/21: Still waiting on final enquiry in the adjoining chain to be resolved. Consent to break the chain granted, instruction to move to exchange given.
  • benlan_2
    benlan_2 Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    6 weeks after mortgage offer and there has been no movement at all. Apparently, the cause is the developer hasn't sent through the contract to the solicitor for the entire development, let alone individual houses!
    I have £800 worth of optional upgrades which I am being chased for, but don't feel confident in handing over that amount of cash when contracts haven't even been seen.
  • Pumpkim
    Pumpkim Posts: 214 Forumite
    Options
    Natbag wrote: »
    Pumpkin, can you not ask the company/tradesperson who serviced the boiler to issue you with a backdated certificate - they/you should have a record of the work to go on.
    I'm in the same boat, I just want to know all is set and to get a date. I've been keeping busy this weekend having a clear out and putting some stuff away - not packing as such, but getting a bit more organised. Still nervous about Monday, but trying not to think too much about it and keep positive!

I was thinking I should just go back to him to ask what he can do.
    We've started packing easy things like books, and I've also been ruthless and given lots to charity so not so many to take with us. We started on our wardrobes yesterday, having a good clear out and I'm tackling my sons toys today :eek:
    Trying to get rid of as much as we can, there's just so much STUFF!
  • Natbag
    Options
    Pumpkim wrote: »
    I was thinking I should just go back to him to ask what he can do.
    We've started packing easy things like books, and I've also been ruthless and given lots to charity so not so many to take with us. We started on our wardrobes yesterday, having a good clear out and I'm tackling my sons toys today :eek:
    Trying to get rid of as much as we can, there's just so much STUFF!

It's definitely worth a try, as otherwise you may be asked to pay for indemnity insurance.
    That's what we have been doing too this weekend. Spent the whole day yesterday sorting through drawers, wardrobes and under the stairs. While our new house is bigger, it doesn't have as much hidden storage (no hallway, no under-stairs cupboard, no room above the wardrobes and the loft isn't yet boarded), so trying to be ruthless.
  • Fiesto88
    Fiesto88 Posts: 137 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    We’ve been for an initial look around furniture places today. The majority of our current stuff is decade-old IKEA that would be lucky to survive the move and, even if it did, would look ridiculous in the new house.

We thought, let’s just go for gold, pick out the things we really like and cost it all when we get home. We now have and i’m mortified at how much it’s going to cost. So i’m now rethinking and looking for cheaper alternatives for some rooms. Also need to budget for splitting an open plan living room, diner, kitchen into two rooms and no idea how much it’ll cost.

Everything’s seems so easy when it’s still a fantasy and not imminent reality.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback