PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Comments

• meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Grrrrr was up at 6am to have a bath wash my hair and get dressed up for a day out with my DD She was picking me up at 9am. Right 9.20 and message to say its now 11.15. So here I am wondering what I can do that wont mean me getting messy. The garden is calling but will get dirty, likewise housework.

Soooooooooo decided on a freezer sort out and menu plan for next week. I really really want to get rid of this freezer and buy a fridge freezer but everytime I think I`m getting there it gets filled up again.

Have now set myself a deadline of 18th August, my Birthday, to do this .

By a dint of shuffling about, taking out what I can use up in next three days and putting in fridge, I have one empty drawer. As I was putting it back in I thought Nooooo it will just get filled up again so have put it in the greenhouse to hold pots. Lol I cant fill a drawer that's not there, can I?
    Slimming World at target
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    meg72 wrote: »
    ...As I was putting it back in I thought Nooooo it will just get filled up again so have put it in the greenhouse to hold pots. Lol I cant fill a drawer that's not there, can I?

Seeing it missing every time you open the freezer will continually remind you not to buy food to freeze, or buy frozen food, or freeze food too.... as you say, if the drawer's there it's easy to just slide something into it.
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,059
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    meg72 wrote: »

By a dint of shuffling about, taking out what I can use up in next three days and putting in fridge, I have one empty drawer. As I was putting it back in I thought Nooooo it will just get filled up again so have put it in the greenhouse to hold pots. Lol I cant fill a drawer that's not there, can I?
    Oh er that's brave meg:eek:, love what you've used the drawer for:)
  • caronc
    Forumite
    Forecast was right it's absolutely tipping it down now, hope it lets up a bit so I can put my recycling bin out without getting drenched.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Still scorchio here :)

I've not bothered checking the weather ... so I'll take a peek now ...

It says sunny/cloudy for the rest of this week, then it'll rain Friday, Sunday and Monday.

19° now, rising to 21° by 1pm.
    Wednesday and Thursday will peak at 14° at lunchtimes.
  • caronc
    Forumite
    My outdoor thermometer is showing 12C, I have a jumper on....
    Wet for us for the rest of the week apart from Thursday. Hopefully it will be showery spells rather than continually wet. I think the fleecy blanket will be getting popped over my duvet tonight as it's supposed to drop to about 6C. Thankfully no sign of frost forecast so hopefully my recently planted plants will be ok.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 8 May 2018 at 1:03PM
    Very grey and threatening weather here again today - after 2 days of decent weather (cue for taking the opportunity quick to get the garden sorted). Temperature down some degrees again:(

Re uses for freezer drawers. I had precisely one detachable freezer drawer from the fridge/freezer I had to bin just after I moved here. Cue for keeping it "in case it came in handy" and it has now been re-purposed to put spare cosmetics in and keep in my (former) airing cupboard. So I've got spare soap/toothpaste/etc/etc all readily to hand and can just pull it out from where it's sitting on the floor.

Though the airing cupboard itself has basically been re-purposed in the first place. There was a very odd mixed set-up (par for the course then on this house:cool:) set-up when I bought this house. So there was an airing cupboard sitting in my hallway that had a water tank in that was storing water for "Oooh....I don't know...summat or other out of the odd cobble-together system the house had when I bought it". Cue for previous boiler (elsewhere in house) being ripped out and replaced with "normal Do Everything boiler" in that place. So airing cupboard was left sitting there half-filled with slatted shelves. Duly ripped out and re-purposed with all "gaps" filled with new slotted shelves floor to ceiling in it and it's been repurposed as a storage cupboard.

Lunch today - well voluntary work stuff again this morning and included an unexpected "ambush". Sorted/done and dusted/dealt with successfully - and lunch today was 2 squares of expensive luxury chocolate and a couple of glasses of wine - as reward for "staying Cool/staying firm" after no preparation whatsoever. Unexpected ambush stuff seems to be the "name of the game" in recent weeks on the voluntary work front - hopefully all will now finally "calm down and go back to normal:cool:". It was one of those "buy a lottery ticket or scratchcard with BIG prize" mornings - lottery ticket for this Wednesday's draw duly sitting there in purse thinking "I know exactly which house I shall buy if The Universe smiles on me":cool: Yep....it's about £400,000.....right road/right house/right area/looks pretty good to me. Any positive vibes going for Wednesday night and I shall put in a generous bid sight unseen for that house and then get a train ticket/hotel reservations to go and check it out - as I know the area well enough to know it would suit me rather well.

My mother has a phrase she has used occasionally of "I'm sure this is all very good for Character Development - well haven't I developed enough Character by now?" Well - I guess I'm learning to "think on my feet" by now...
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,116
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Weather today was supposed to be cooler, feels even hotter to me, sun out & hot. Killjoy hoping for rain some time this week, water my beans & bedding plants

Yesterday's baked spud / cheese & LO beans was ideal CBA food, and tasty

Nil breakfast, not much luck in L's either, I was hoping for some YS inspirational bargain, nothing I fancied.

However my luck changed at volunteering, I was given some small, new style, spuds, which changed my planned dinner from LO cauli cheese to steamed salmon

Lunch was another PB baguette, with cheese salady filling
    kittie wrote: »
    That salmon, I made a foil package around it, the gathered sides at the top and I stood it in the steamer and started adding veg after 10 minutes and then different veg after another 10 minutes. All on one hob and it had to be one of the nicest, easiest meals ever. I love these spring veggies and only ever want them steamed or raw

I mentioned I fancied salmon yesterday, and now with the free new spuds, today is the day the dream becomes reality.

I'll cook it same as Kittie, steamed, but with new spuds in the base of the pan, with fresh mint from my volunteering patch
    I'll have it with salad, not got fresh veg and frozen just does not seem the same

Salmon is defrosting, extra spuds prepped and will be cooked to give some left overs

No GnT, but there is a bottle of posh ginger beer in the fridge, part gift from dog sitting volunteering the other week
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    its dull here, perfect for my new plantings and rain expected tomorrow night. Ok did the plantings this morning but nothing much else today, didn`t feel like cycling, just read my book. It feels cold now, I need wool around my neck so will have to change from a thin scoop neck jumper to a warmer thin polo. I think I have inertia and certainly could gobble up lots of crisps, good job I don`t live near a shop. Maybe a big mug of hot tea will satisfy my mouth

I do think we need to rest every few days, body certainly thinks so today
  • caronc
    Forumite
    edited 8 May 2018 at 8:26PM
    Good evening everyone,
    Must be "salmon/new spuds" season as I'm planning on having that tomorrow.
    Farway - happy to send the wet & cool weather here to you:).
    It's decidedly on the chilly side here tonight, not cold enough to have the heating on but I've added a gilet on top of my jumper!
    Wintry meal here tonight of root veg mash, sprouts, shallots, beef olive and gravy. I reckon this will be the last of this type of mash I'll make until Autumn though there will be a few portions from this batch frozen for bubble & squeak etc.
    The rain eventually stopped early evening, too late to do anything outside but at leadt I got the recycling wheelie bin out without getting soaked. It would seem the rain stopped just in time for the midges to appear in force, the first time I've noticed them this year and they are hungry wee beggars...:mad:
    I've done very little today, following kittie's advice of listening to my body which was very much in don't move too fast or much mode.
    Did get my next batch of pea & bean trays sown and a load of laundry done so not a completely wasted day.
    For reasons unknown when I did my last shop I forgot to get milk and loo roll. :o My sister was heading to the SM so she kindly got some bits for me including more fresh stuff. I'm beginning to wonder if shopping only every 9 & 10 days will work as well in the warmer months or at least at the moment when my garden isn't producing anything edible yet as salady veg really doesn't keep as well as winter veg. One I'll think on and see how it goes.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback