The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

Renovations and Repayments II: New Year, New Start, New Diary.

Comments

• maddiemay
    maddiemay Posts: 4,978
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    beanielou wrote: »
    [/B]

I have no idea what has happened to you in the past.
    Anyway what has happened in the past does not matter.
    It is what is happening now that is important.
    FRom what I read you seem lovely & caring.
    You have a lovely family.
    Far far more important that being a so called high achiever.
    Whatever that is!!
    Be proud of you & your life.
    Just my thoughts.

Nicely put Beanie, seconded by me. x
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Loving this feedback on positivity to Alex, and seconding all of it - you can be very proud of yourself and your achievements, Alex, including rounding and maturing and loving.
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • AlexLK
    AlexLK Posts: 6,125
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    Thanks all. :)

Not having a great evening / night. Already tried to go to bed once but been feeling nauseous on and off. Wife and son have been fine so either my not so great lunch has unsettled my stomach or my current concerns are making me ill. Struggled with a lot of self doubt over my solutions to a work problem today. Got to a solution as a team which was good to be part of but questioning the initial route I was taking before the meeting. Spent this evening listening to music with Mrs. K. until she went to sleep so only spent an hour being productive this evening as a result.

Wishing: Not proud to say I've been one of those 'horrible' people. Hopefully not anymore.

I think contentment is hard to achieve but used to think it came later in life. Not so sure that's the case anymore, though.
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
    Mortgage Overpayments £5,500
  • AlexLK
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    Managed to have a much better evening and a good day. :) Got to sleep not long after writing the post last night and knew for certain in the morning it was psychosomatic. Realise just how ill I've made myself over the years as these last few months have been a lot better. Depression stole so many opportunities (financial and non-financial) from me; the more I let opportunities go, the worse I felt. Very glad something has switched and I'm starting to take opportunities when I find them. :)

Finances wise, we are a bit below target for April but will save some personal money and will make an overpayment. Keep reminding myself every positive step we take financially is a step in the right direction, a move away from spending more than we earn no matter the income. I spent a long time angry with my parents for not continuing to provide a lifestyle for me. They spent a long time waiting to see me become responsible enough to run and take the property business to the next level. Looking back I would've found a way to bankrupt my family had I not learnt to live to a budget. Would not have been able to reinvest profits.
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
  • AlexLK wrote: »

Wishing: Not proud to say I've been one of those 'horrible' people. Hopefully not anymore.
    i think the mere fact you are more self aware says a lot.

I think contentment is hard to achieve but used to think it came later in life. Not so sure that's the case anymore, though.
    Contentment is hard to achieve, but I think it's a conscious act, I don't think it just happens. So I don't think it occurs at a certain age, whether that's old or young.
    Am I content? Not always no, but more often than not I am. But, it's a decision I make, minute by minute sometimes.
    Outstanding mortgage: £23,181 (December 19)
    MFW 2020 Challenge Member #10 0/£2318
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,306
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    I hope you are feeling OK Alex, I just wanted to pop in and ask if you are following any of the Osprey web-cams at the moment? I am catching three - Loch Garten RSPB, Manton Bay at Rutland Water, and Loch Arkaig (Woodland Trust). All got birds on nests.

We stayed near Loch Garten on our recent Highlands trip and saw the female, who was awaiting a mate then. We also saw a wild nest, only about 4 miles from the house we were staying in. Another singleton, rumoured to be a male. Such marvellous birds
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 16.02% spent or £480.73/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • AlexLK
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    Had a busy working day and cooked a rather delicious dinner. Seem to have got back into cooking since coming back. :) Pleased about that as eating out a lot is expensive and in the usual pub whilst I have no qualms about the food (locally sourced, cooked to order and good) they serve helpings of quite epic proportions. :rotfl: I know I was putting weight on. Not touched the weighing scales though as I don't really want to know. :o No desire to become the fat old man Mrs. K. fears I will become though, to be honest, so back to the kitchen it is.

Wishing: that's a very interesting idea re. contentment being something to continually work on. I'd not considered it to be such a thing you can work on, rather something which just 'happens' for some and not for others.

SL: I'm good, thank you. :) Following Manton Bay, son won't go to bed without the update. :rotfl: They are indeed marvelous birds. :D How was holidaying in Loch Garten?
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
  • shangaijimmy
    shangaijimmy Posts: 3,796
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Contentment is hard to achieve, but I think it's a conscious act, I don't think it just happens. So I don't think it occurs at a certain age, whether that's old or young.
    Am I content? Not always no, but more often than not I am. But, it's a decision I make, minute by minute sometimes.
    AlexLK wrote: »
    Wishing: that's a very interesting idea re. contentment being something to continually work on. I'd not considered it to be such a thing you can work on, rather something which just 'happens' for some and not for others.

Contentment certainly is thought provoking and one to be mused on. I kind of agree that in the main it has to be worked on, though how consciously you are able to do that i'm not too sure. Equally the realisation that you are content does seem to just happen, and i suspect out of nowhere rather than increasing month by month... possibly?!?!?

Not to sure what i have said there, very abstract thinking for a Saturday morning (good job i wasn't drinking last night!).
    MFW: Was: £136,000.......Now: £61,892.24......
    Mortgage Neutral Deficit: £43,082.90... Mortgage Neutral Savings: £18,809.34

MFiT-T6 #13 - £3,517 of £15,500 (22.69%)
    1% Mortgage Challenge 2022 - £157.59 of £650
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,306
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    AlexLK wrote: »
    Had a busy working day and cooked a rather delicious dinner. Seem to have got back into cooking since coming back. :) Pleased about that as eating out a lot is expensive and in the usual pub whilst I have no qualms about the food (locally sourced, cooked to order and good) they serve helpings of quite epic proportions. :rotfl: I know I was putting weight on. Not touched the weighing scales though as I don't really want to know. :o No desire to become the fat old man Mrs. K. fears I will become though, to be honest, so back to the kitchen it is.

SL: I'm good, thank you. :) Following Manton Bay, son won't go to bed without the update. :rotfl: They are indeed marvelous birds. :D How was holidaying in Loch Garten?

Loved it! 13 of us in a large house that was warm and comfortable. There was a large bird-feeder outside the kitchen window and we saw all sorts of small birds on it; siskins, long-tailed tits, great tits, blue tits, chaffinches, coal tits and a regular red squirrel. We had stayed at the house before and only I saw a red squirrel then but he is obviously a regular visitor now and he gave us a huge amount of pleasure. It dumped about 5-6" (up to 15cm) snow every night for the first four and that is not my kind of walking weather but we had a super glen walk on the first warm sunny day and I spotted a distant pink-footed goose standing sentinel beside a nest on the ground with the female in it. Also explored Grantown on Spey for the first time. I never mind going back to the Cairngorms.

Ref the first part of your post, I am away a bit at the moment and my weight has crept up just enough so that the odd blouse feels snug or too short so I agree. Back to meat and veg or meat and salads for me now it is a bit warmer. And I must stop drinking the delicious bitter at the local when we go there - a glass of red wine is so much less fattening :( :beer: but still a pleasant social experience. I've posted the other two web cams in case your son would like to see them too

here is the woodland trust

Loch Garten is here
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 16.02% spent or £480.73/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 89,801
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Ambassador
    Loch Garten is lovely.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure