Mortgage free asap

Have been lurking on this board for over a year whilst we saved and house hunted, now we have a mortgage of our own thought I would delurk. The intro may be long, I'll try not to ramble too much.

So we bought our house 3 months ago, and took out a mortgage for £121,500 on a 10 year fix at 2.94%. 75% LTV when we bought due to savings etc,but I don't want to be paying this til I'm 40. First few months were very spendy as we had to buy washing machine etc, though thanks to OH's pathological hatred of shopping we were without any laundry devices for 6 weeks :eek:

Would like to try and pay off in 10 years, then use the equity to find our forever home/ save up and extend here as we do like the area. Am hoping this will keep me on track, even if I just end up talking to myself :rotfl:

Comments

• Jessy103
    Jessy103 Posts: 1,824 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Good luck with your MFW journey! There will be plenty of people here to give you tips and cheer you on.
    Jess
    Mortgage Balance as of Jan 24 £36,500 Starting Mortgage Balance (June 2019) £72,000. 2024 Overpayment Challenge: Jan £558.40, Feb £588.11, Mar £497.32
  • Lauralou79
    Lauralou79 Posts: 268 Forumite
    Before your 40! Wow I’ve just got a mortgage and I’m 38 so that’s never gonna happen. But I do aim for 55. Ours was taken out 6 months ago at 85,000 with less than 50% LTV. Just started overpaying, but with a mind to savings and actually enjoying life a little!( otherwise debt free)
    Good luck!
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,255 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Happy shiny new diary :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Tradcob
    Tradcob Posts: 102 Forumite
    Hi, welcome to the forum and good luck with your journey ��
  • Tjh1412
    Tjh1412 Posts: 158 Forumite
    Thanks everyone for the welcome :) set up the overpayment facility today, but payday seems a long way off. Can I ask, how does everyone keep motivated/ find extra ways to chip away at it during the month?

My only MSE moment for today was free alcohol and chocolate from Shopium, otherwise OH's birthday so rather spendy
  • bexster1975
    bexster1975 Posts: 1,576 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Hi

I don't know how old you are but trust me, as a " just over forty" year old who paid off her mortgage just after 40, doing it faster than that will be mighty impressive. As for keeping motivated, making sure you live as well as save money would be my very best advice. Being mortgage free offers great opportunities. Not to be a harbinger of doom or anything tho, you could drop dead six months after paying it off. No one knows what's in store, try to live as well as possible. By all means appreciate the small things, but make sure you treat yourself ( and your OH) along the way.

If you are a twenty something, you could consider putting any wage rise/bonuses straight into mortgage OP. That way you maintain your current lifestyle but pay more off the mortgage each year.

Good luck

Bexster :)
  • Tjh1412
    Tjh1412 Posts: 158 Forumite
    Hi Bex, thanks for taking the time to reply. I am currently 26, just while OH was 27 yesterday, cue many complaints about him feeling old:rotfl:.
    That does seem to be the hard part, balancing everything, what with all the advice about pensions, mortgages investments etc I sometimes get in a bit of a tizwas working out what to do :o

In mortgge news, tester payment of £1 overpayed so I am now (im)patiently waiting for account to update. Hard day back at work, the day off with OH was far too enjoyable :D though I've just been chased by our HR department to book my 10 outstanding days by March, so hopefully a few more relaxing days off to look forward to :T
  • bexster1975
    bexster1975 Posts: 1,576 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Hi

I don't think there is a " best thing to do" largely owing to the fact we don't know how long we have got, and in what sort of health ( I swear, I don't normally talk about pegging it so much!). All you can do is find the best balance for you - that will change over time. Paying off the mortgage by forty may seem a lifetime away, but it will go by in the blink of an eye. In the meantime, consider having some fun ( not too much, the other half at the grand old age of 27 may have a heart attack :rotfl:) and save for your futures.

Glad OP has worked

Bexster :)
  • Kittenkirst
    Kittenkirst Posts: 2,563 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Tjh1412 wrote: »
    Thanks everyone for the welcome :) set up the overpayment facility today, but payday seems a long way off. Can I ask, how does everyone keep motivated/ find extra ways to chip away at it during the month?

My only MSE moment for today was free alcohol and chocolate from Shopium, otherwise OH's birthday so rather spendy

I do various things to maintain momentum:
    :heartpuls I have a spending app that I update religiously and contains all bills etc already planned in so there shouldn’t be too many surprises- helps me feel in control of it all
    :heartpuls I do ‘tilly tidies’ where I overpay small amounts to round down our bills account, so if the balance is £41.22 I will overpay 22p or £1.22 (dependent where in the month we are).
    :heartpuls I do Prolific academy, Pinecone, YouGov and Onepoll surveys which soon add up with regular completion (on break times at work when bored or in the evening watching tv!)
    :heartpuls focus on making the most out of things I pay for e.g. I have gym and yoga memberships so I try to go regularly to get my money’s worth and also resist other spending.
    :heartpuls cashback apps- shopmium like you but also Quidco etc :)

There’s loads of others but these are the ones that spring to mind!
    First home- Oct’16 until June’21: £170.995- Overpayments made £13,784 (25% extra!).
    New forever home- Sep’21 £309,449 @ 2.05%. Plan to clear it before 30 years!!!!!!
  • I like to track how much difference there is interest payments as well as celebrating when we hit certain milestones. One of my favourite points was when I'd taken a pound a day off of the interest! I also keep a special book with notes of the balance over the year.

Welcome to the board x
    Onwards and upwards with the occasional kick up the butt required! ;)
    Mortgage '09 = £103k Feb '17 =£79.9k, Aug 17 = £69k Mar 19 = £61k
    Aiming for 10% OP in 2019 - £1320.95/£6100 £3420/£3520 credit card at 0%
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family