Spend Nowt, Buy Nowt, Owe Nowt

Comments

• My boyfriend's dad gets a prescription for GF foods, not sure if you would be able to get the same? Once a month he gets an enormous box full of GF essentials such as bread, crackers, biscuits etc that gets him through the month.
  • Toni'sfriend
    Toni'sfriend Posts: 4,029 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Hi
    Have you looked at Lidl weekend offers for wine, They only last Saturday and Sunday but we got some lovely Orvietto a couple of weeks ago for £2,99 (£2.00 off I think). Limited to 4 per person. Also agree with GC Aldi's wine is good. I really like their cava and cremant de jura.
    Have adventures. laugh a lot and always be kind.
  • apple_muncher
    apple_muncher Posts: 14,701 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! First Post Name Dropper
    They stopped prescribing gf food here earlier this year, so we now have to buy the pay-through-the-nose prices for dd. When I was diagnosed, ooooh about 9 years ago, I decided to go down the 'eat foods that naturally do not contain gluten' route, instead of substituting.

Loking at sites for paleo ideas, primal blueprint, ketogenic things have helped me. Plus I try to keep things simple if they work.

Would dh take a pot of hummous + crackers/oatcakes and carrot sticks to eat?

Or sliced ham rolled up with cream cheese/brie inside it, along with a salad?

Although there is a microwave I can use at work, I never do - too much faff to get there and it is in demand. So I have become very used to eating my thick chunky soups cold. My dh thinks it is disgusting :rotfl:!

But please do not be too harsh on yourself re your food budget. We are fortunate to have aldee and sainz near enough to walk (and we have no car, so no choice but to walk), and we have time to check prices. You will get there.

Go girl!
    NST March lion #8; NSD ; MFW9/3/23 Whoop Whoop!!!
  • XSpender
    XSpender Posts: 3,811 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 12 May 2017 at 9:48PM
    Thank you Mitch2509, On a Shoestring and Toni'sfriend for your suggestions on GF food and wine. I used to get a prescription for GF flour mix mainly but didn't get on well with it so cancelled it last year. As GF prescriptions are under review I would not want to sign up for an annual prescription again for them to stop prescribing it. I have the Coeliac UK app on my phone.

I very rarely buy GF cakes and biscuits and never GF versions of things like pasta sauce from the free from aisle, it's been able to buy normal stock cubes and cereal (the big 4 own brand cereal is usually GF) and that kind of thing that just happen to be GF that I can get from a bigger supermarket.

My DM and Step Dad bought us a lovely selection of wine for Christmas from Lidl and it was good stuff, we have only a bottle of white left. We do have 4 bottles of wine, 4 bottles of prosecco, 3/4 of a bottle of gin and a litre of Baileys in the house so I should be drinking this up before I buy more beer!

Applemuncher I do think it's wrong that kids (and those on low incomes/benefits) can't get GF items on prescription like bread. You can buy paracetemol cheap in the shop and people still get those on prescription. Don't get me on my soapbox! :mad:

DH loves hummus and would eat all of your suggestions but only if it was made up for him and handed to him in a bag in the morning ready to take to work.

DH and I have had a discussion tonight about the mortgage protection insurance and have decided to cancel it so that's another £72 to go the debt :)
    Save £10,500 - £2673.77 - 25.5%
    Pay off £7000 - £1743 - 19.4%
    Make £2021 extra income - £99.75
  • XSpender
    We had some bad news about the health of a close family member today and I am feeling a little emotional.

I didn't take the mince out of the freezer to make tacos as planned for dinner as was a bit all over the place but have rustled up dinner using some odd bits of stuff from the freezer i.e. 1 x GF pie and 2 non-GF sausages

Spent today on haircuts for all 3 of us but the good news is my hairdresser has recommended that I now wait 8 week between cuts as I grow my hair out. That will reduce the £80 in my SOA for haircuts to £45/month :)

I checked my soap powder earlier in the week and it seems to have evaporated as I haven't done any washing during the week and it has now gone! Spent £21.73 on a big 70 wash box of powder on offer at Mr S and also 2 YS GF loafs, GF cereal, crisps and a bottle of alcoholic dandelion and burdock for DH.

DH also bought a new charging cable for his PS4 at £4.99 and I spent £4.25 on parking in the city for my haircut.

Update on to do list for this week:

Spend no more than £40 on food (excluding beer) - yes on the Mr T order but have spent on other food and a takeaway on top of this
    Stick to the meal plan - nope but most food from freezer
    Meals and snacks to work for me and DH everyday (I'm working at home 3 days, lunch provided 1 day, travelling 1 day). May try and get DH to take some breakfast in the car. Yes I will have to make it - I haven't made DH breakfast but have made all lunches except DH's when I was away 1 day

Use my evening meal allowance from work to buy groceries and eat main meal at home at lunchtime. Plan what to buy beforehand. Done
    Sort out and iron and/or put away all clean laundry - made a start and will finish this tomorrow as it is doing me 'ed in
    Keep the heating turned off - It has been cooler this week so we have had it on for a couple of hours on an evening but a lot less than normal and I haven't used the TD in 2 weeks :T
    Have a TV/PS4/internet free night Not done

Send off pack to sell 2 x iPhone for the 3rd time Not done
    4 NSDs - Lost count possibly only 1 if I include when DH spent his tenner
    Pluck up the courage to post a SOA Done and with the suggestions made by people on here I have made some progress with this

Positives this week

:) Spent less on food than in previous weeks
    :) We haven't used the TD once
    :) Increased interval between haircuts (saved £25/month)
    :) Used comparison site via TCB to compare home insurance quote (saved £20/month)
    :) Used MSE energy club to review energy provider (saved £55/month)
    :) Agreed to cancel PPI on mortgage as redundancy cover for me is biggest part of policy and I'm unlikely to qualify for it (saved £72/month)
    :) Avoided DH buying a fire TV stick thingy on impulse. Need to research first.
    :) Reminded DH that we agreed no personal spending this month ;)
    :) Read lots of DFW diaries and feeling positive that we can do this

DH turn for a lie in tomorrow so I plan to clean up downstairs before sister drops in for a cuppa and make progress with the massive pile of ironing before he gets up. When DH up and Sister has visited will take dog for a walk in the woods, potter in the garden and play with DS's birthday presents.
  • apple_muncher
    You seem to have saved a whopping £172 per month, earthgirl. Or £ 2064 per year. Awesome result!

Ps some of the aldi sausages are gf, and much cheaper than other places.
  • XSpender
    You seem to have saved a whopping £172 per month, earthgirl. Or £ 2064 per year. Awesome result!

Ps some of the aldi sausages are gf, and much cheaper than other places.

I wish my finances were as healthy as earthgirl's ;)

All the new DDs will be set up next month which will take some pressure off. What doesn't show on my SOA is the PT we already cancelled last month that was costing us £140/month. Unfortunately that £140 has been converted to lbs and is now stuck to my tum :eek:

I like the GF sausages in Aldi, they are much better than the T3sco premium ones that are GF.
  • apple_muncher
    Oops! Too much flitting around with my reading and commenting! Sorrrrrrrry x
  • XSpender
    My other parent lives abroad and we have been invited over for a hol as we haven't seen them in some time but DH and I have decided that we can not afford it this year. We have also confirmed that we are going to cancel the NY trip. We will lose the £300 deposit but wont have to find the remaining balance and spending money.

We spent £10 on some reduced plants today and £45 on a reclaimed wooden fish box that we intend to turn into a planter for herbs in the conservatory. We also gave DFIL some money for some work he has done in the garden over the last couple of weeks. I am £65 over my home maintenance and refurb budget for this month but have clawed back £20 from the family entertainment budget so still £45 to find.

DS and DBIL popped in this morning and we sat in the conservatory which has the previous owners furniture, our old kitchen table and our old coffee table in it as well as our weights set! It was the motivation I needed to sort it out the coffee table went to the charity we bought the box off and the furniture has been rearranged so that our kitchen table and the chairs (which have been in the garage since we moved in) have been turned into a dining area. It is looking fab :D

The previous owners had left a broken old garden seat beside the shed which DH was going to take to the tip last week but decided to keep the metal legs from as they were cast iron. I suggested we took it to the reclamation charity to see if they could re make the seat. They can and when the manager and DH looked at a similar seat on line they were selling for £500, one with the same legs as ours was £800 :eek::T He would have bought the legs off us for £100 alone if we wanted to sell them!

I am away with work for the next couple of days so will not be spending anything although I probably wont be able to say the same for DH ;) I will have 2 x lunch allowances and 1xdinner allowance and will make the best use of this to get a couple of bits for home.
  • Hiddenidenity
    Hiddenidenity Posts: 5,423 Forumite
    Amazing progress :)

Shame about the deposit though :(
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income