landlord informed?

Hi all!
thinking about a DRO but 1 or 2 worries, are landlords informed about DRO as we have just moved due to previous landlord wanting their property back and as we on benefits as hubby disabled after a stroke was hard to get a landlord to accept us! also i have had a bit of a gambling problem i.e. betting then trting to recoup losses but have stopped now, finally hubby gets DLA and this is spent on his personal care but some times we use my income support towards his expenses so wondering how to put that expense correctly and he also goes through a lot of clothes due to incontinence and way he walks so that would be a big amount. sorry for ramble, hope to get some good advice
Sharon

Comments

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,870 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Hi,

Only your creditors are informed about your DRO, no one else.

I suggest you contact the DRO advisers at stepchange to see how your budgeting should work.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi specialkay60,

You have raised a few queries in your message so I would like to try and address them individually for you. Your landlord will not be informed of the DRO unless you have rent arrears. Assuming that is not the case (because you say you have only just moved in), then the only other issues may be if there is an 'insolvency clause' in the tenancy that would require you to tell them about the DRO? And/or if the landlord checked the Individual Insolvency Register periodically. There would be no logical reason for them to do this, but the DRO will show there for 15months.

If you still struggle with the gambling on occasions, then you should try and get some help with this before starting a DRO. You could try somewhere such as GamCare - http://www.gamcare.org.uk/

And with regard to your SOA, an advisor/ intermediary will go through this with you as part of the DRO assessment. Your partners DLA is for his health needs (i.e. extra clothes) and if his health needs cost more than his DLA award then this may need to be reviewed. However, this something that can be discussed with an advisor, in more detail, when they have the actual figures off you. Please try not to worry.

Laura
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • If you still struggle with the gambling on occasions, then you should try and get some help with this before starting a DRO. You could try somewhere such as GamCare - http://www.gamcare.org.uk/

Or Gamblers Anonymous, which effectively has zero ties with the gambling industry.

OP, I go to GA regularly and if you need any support then feel free to message me, as gambling problems can be really debilitating even if you think you've shook it! That is my experience, anyway.
  • Mermaid89
    Mermaid89 Posts: 107 Forumite
    Whilst they are not informed they are free to check the insolvency register: https://www.insolvencydirect.bis.gov.uk/eiir/
  • AimOx
    AimOx Posts: 19 Forumite
    Hi OP - please also be aware the if you go through credit checks for future accommodation (or indeed renewal of a lease) then your DRO will show up, as it is a public record on your credit file for 6 years.

I had a panic when applying for a property, but told the estate agent I had a DRO on file. When the report came back they said had I not told them about the DRO before completing the application they would have failed me. They didn't ask any questions, and weren't bothered at all.

Honesty pays in this kind of situation.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport