The "What would be your ideal job?" question at an interview

I'm not sure how often I've been asked "What would be your ideal job?" question at an interview, but I have been asked it before. My answer has tended to be along the lines of climbing the career ladder in my occupation.

In reality though that wouldn't be my ideal job at all. I think that most of us would rather be a footballer, rock star, movie star etc than do the jobs we do.

It's got me thinking though, when you get asked that question are you expected to give the sort of nonsense answer I gave or do they expect you to say my ideal job would be a footballer for example?

I know if I asked a candidate that question and they told me it was the job they do but higher up the career ladder I wouldn't believe them.

Comments

• asajj
    asajj Posts: 5,123 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Rampant Recycler
    I think more often than not, it is how you answer the question. i.e. if you say, your ideal job would be an international rock star, you should explain why and properly. At least, that's what I look at during interviews.
    ally.
  • ThemeOne
    ThemeOne Posts: 1,471 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    I agree - probably more how you answer it that matters, but it's still hard to know what they might be looking for. Some might just want to be entertained (interviewing candidates can be quite boring), some might try and make a real or imagined connection between how you answer and your personality, some might use your answer to try and relate it back to the job you're applying for.

For most people, the real answer is probably something like "not this job, that's for sure" but, whatever they're looking for, that's probably the wrong way to answer!
  • Don't know but had 2 crazy interviewers couple of months ago, who seemed to be having an 'in joke' giggled and said doesn't everybody say CEO (!?) when I was just saying I wanted to work frontline customer service.
    Though to be fair they were having to interview for the sake of it (it was a PC interview which finished with a pleased with the calibre of applications received and please don't be put off applying for future roles which may be coming up - I knew then that I was had)

Personally I would always want to be cheeky and say "the job you aren't trained to do" I especially wanted to say that to the interviewer who said rather presumingly kids now weren't likely to be my issue, at least given my age. Sadly this was in 2019.

Then there was the time when someone in a group interview said they knew nothing about the finance product at the company we were interviewing for, they even went on to say they didn't watch tv when it was said surely you've seen our ad so I suppose people say strange things heat of the moment. I just couldn't imagine going for an interview knowing nothing about the company/service.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    An ideal job is one you can do well, make a difference and enjoy doing.

It may well require more research, education, experience and training to get there.

Jobs you may like to think are ideal you can't and will never be able to do are far from ideal.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,680 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Never been asked.
    Would be tempted to say "sagger makers bottom knocker" just to see the response.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    elsien wrote: »
    Never been asked.
    Would be tempted to say "sagger makers bottom knocker" just to see the response.

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

President of the Wheel Tappers and Shunters Social Club, just so I could ring that freaky-looking bell and say, "We've had a meeting of the committee" (Translation: So do what I say but don't moan to me about it)
  • Lomast
    Lomast Posts: 848 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Ideal job doesn't necessarily mean dream job it could be they are asking about what you think would be the best job that suits your skill set.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,014 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    elsien wrote: »
    Never been asked.
    Nor have I, but my answer would be "I used to have it."

I always said I'd like to be a proofreader, so I could read all day. After university, I was a proofreader, in a very niche market, and I mostly loved it. But I loved my then boyfriend more, and needed to move out of London to be with him, and the journey would have finished me.

In my line of work, another good and honest answer would be to do a job which enables others to do theirs without distractions. Fixing, supplying, sorting, facilitating.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    One I got asked at Sainsbury's

" Why have you chosen to apply to work for us?

"Marks and Spencers wouldn't take me"

I got the job
  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,270 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    The ideal question for me at an interview would be. “You’ve got the job. When can you start?” :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure