Minimum income floor

Options
13»

Comments

• Icequeen99
    Icequeen99 Posts: 3,775 Forumite
    Options
    Surely the income they count is the same regardless of other elements and work allowances? Those are separate parts of the UC calculation, as it were - the income is the same, but what they do with it (i.e. how much they take off, if any) is what differs. I'd have thought, anyway.

E.g. to meet the NHS criteria, one must have a net income of less than £400-and something, but work allowances and other elements don't affect that - *except*, of course, where the MIF has been applied and UC substitute that amount for the income part of the benefits calculation.

It's things like this and the 'every overpayment is recoverable even if it's due to a catalogue of official errors' that make me understand why UC is so controversial. 'Draconian' springs to mind sometimes, honestly!

I think it depends. For free school meals and the £7,400 threshold it looks at actual UC income - not taking account of the MIF. I haven't looked at the NHS one.

IQ
  • tomtom256
    tomtom256 Posts: 2,217 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    There are two figure the NHS costs, one for those without children and LCW/LCWRA and one for this with children and LCW/LCWRA and I think they use the MIF assumed income figures in the calculation as it showes on the statement.

The whole idea of UC was to cut the welfare bill, which other than running costs and advance fraud, it is slowly doing, both via the MIF and from removing several if not most of the premiums.
  • sparker123
    Options
    It's confusing enough even if you are not self employed!

The trouble is the system wants you to take a 10 hour a week Tesco job and the the government adverts which say you will always be better off in work clearly are not true.

The only saving grace is that currently they seem to have given up 'work coaching' altogether, they can get sacked for recommending people claim UC apparently. Should be at least another year before they start moving people over, or perhaps never ( I'm voting labour for the first time ever :rotfl: )

my council web site seems to imply you need a valid UC claim to even get CTR ? …
    Help with Council Tax

You may be able to get help with paying your council tax. You will need to complete an application form for Council Tax Reduction from the council. Please call us on 01590 646121 to make your claim. You must inform our office of any changes to your circumstances and you will need to provide us with your Universal Credit award letter when you first receive it and provide the letter every time the award changes.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 10 November 2019 at 12:06AM
    Options
    sparker123 wrote: »
    my council web site seems to imply you need a valid UC claim to even get CTR ? …
    To be fair to your local authority the bit about Council Tax you have quoted is, I think, from the page about Universal Credit which is why it refers to UC claim. I agree it’s not very clear about CTR generally though.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Bohomofo79
    Options
    Sheramber, not long term no, just for another year or so. Don't see what's wrong with it given that I've never claimed a penny in my life! Building a business takes time, but the feeling I'm getting from you is that you are implying 'benefit scrounger'.
  • Bohomofo79
    Options
    Thank you all for your very helpful responses (bar one person who seems to be judging people without knowing their circumstances, probably a Sun reader).

It takes hard work and guts to build a small business especially in the current climate.

Up until this point in our life both myself and my partner have worked in jobs that involve supporting vulnerable people (which unfortunately doesn't pay very much), we have more than contributed both financially and morally to society.

It is for that reason that I was trying to ensure that we receive what we are entitled to as we are basically on the breadline.

Your responses have clarified my questions.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure