A major bank has been refusing to let me withdraw £10k of family savings for over one month

Comments

• Oh yes, apparently the Republic of Yorkshire is particularly ......... :)
    Keef - Sheerness, Kent UK
  • Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    Let's back track a bit first. Why do you think they have done this? It's your account what have you done to make the bank suspicious? Multiple payments in from different sources? Allowing a third party to use the account? Running a business through a personal account? Banks don't just block access for no good reason.

I agree with this response. Banks do not do this sort of thing on a whim.and would have raised the same question.
    The OP has answered this by saying that they had their account 'hacked' a couple of months previously. No details. No further explanation. Just that the account had been 'hacked', an extremely vague and ambiguous term which is in itself meaningless.
    Now most people dont have their accounts 'hacked' so we have the answer to why.
  • I’ve just purchased a house and transferred a nigh-on 6 figure sum from a savings account, to my bank account, then straight out as a CHAPS payment.

No questions were asked and nothing was put in hold.

£10,000 took 10 years to save?
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 30,938 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Ben8282 wrote: »
    I agree with this response. Banks do not do this sort of thing on a whim.and would have raised the same question.
    The OP has answered this by saying that they had their account 'hacked' a couple of months previously. No details. No further explanation. Just that the account had been 'hacked', an extremely vague and ambiguous term which is in itself meaningless.
    Now most people dont have their accounts 'hacked' so we have the answer to why.
    OP didn't actually say they'd been hacked, that was just some blind speculative hypothesising in the absence of any indication as to why they're blocking access....
    I can't think of anything other than my account being hacked at some point between when I last checked it successfully and when I found my access to be blocked (could have been a couple of months)? I don't have any reason to think this has happened though as I've always been very careful with my passwords etc. and never had anything hacked before.

[...]

Let's say my account was hacked (or something else I haven't thought of), why is it taking them so long to resolve this? Wouldn't they want information from me?
  • Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    Rather unusual hypothesising though.
  • Can you tell us which bank it is, OP?
  • I have noticed a from recent threads of frozen accounts that the first insinuation is that the OP is suspicious. I don't think that line of tone is particularly nice or helpful!
  • SingleSue
    SingleSue Posts: 11,699 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Ben8282 wrote: »
    Rather unusual hypothesising though.

It's the one my parents automatically jump to if anything (and I mean anything, it doesn't have to be banking related) happens.

The latest one is that their broadband router finally gave up the ghost after 11 years this weekend, their immediate response was not "Oh well, it's old, outdated and probably knackered", nope it was "We've been hacked!"

I think they read too many magazines and scare stories in their daily newspaper....
    We made it! All three boys have graduated, it's been hard work but it shows there is a possibility of a chance of normal (ish) life after a diagnosis (or two) of ASD. It's not been the easiest route but I am so glad I ignored everything and everyone and did my own therapies with them.
    Eldests' EDS diagnosis 4.5.10, mine 13.1.11 eekk - now having fun and games as a wheelchair user.
  • warby68 wrote: »
    Not sure how far you took your enquiries with the bank in the first instance.

If you took the call handler at their first word and went straight to the Ombudsman, it may be worth making another call to the Bank starting with I seem to be locked out of my account to see if the response is the same.

Slim possibility, but the call handler may have got it wrong. Online access can be suspended for a number of reasons quite separate from access to the account itself. Its a slim chance but if you genuinely have not undertaken any activity at all just maintained a long term savings account via inter account transfer, might be worth a try.

I've been on the phone to multiple people with the bank. My account is definitely locked out (they call it "under review"). They say that I can't speak to the people performing the review. I've made a formal complaint and been assigned a "complaints officer" (I think they're called) but that doesn't seem to have made any difference as they also say they can't do or tell me anything...
  • User1234567
    User1234567 Posts: 12 Forumite
    edited 14 October 2019 at 3:50AM
    meer53 wrote: »
    It's been to the FOS, if it wasn't blocked they would have told the OP so.

FOS have given me advice and information but they said they have a "new system" that could take up to a month for them to "see" my online-submitted complaint, and even once they've seen it it'll take [a further] one to two months for them to reach a decision...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure