PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Debtor traced, pre-action sent, what next?

Comments

• They are saying I owe them money, and that they won't carry on until I pay up.
  • aneary
    aneary Posts: 921 Forumite
    They are saying I owe them money, and that they won't carry on until I pay up.

In that case ask for an invoice and pay.

They can hold onto your case file including all the debtors details until you pay.
  • mrginge
    mrginge Posts: 4,843 Forumite
    They are saying I owe them money, and that they won't carry on until I pay up.

Drip drip drip. It's like pulling teeth with some posters.

Surely when they said you owe them money, you asked them what for?

Care to share the outcome of that conversation?
  • aneary
    mrginge wrote: »

I bet the solicitor said that you need to pay £x to cover costs up to now and costs going forward.

The OP decided that is was too much because solicitors spend 3 years at uni, a year doing an LPC then two further years of training just to work for free.
  • "I bet the solicitor said that you need to pay £x to cover costs up to now and costs going forward. "

The above is basically the case. My point is that:

1) These costs differed widely from what I had been told at the outset.
    2) They've never sent me an invoice.
  • aneary
    "I bet the solicitor said that you need to pay £x to cover costs up to now and costs going forward. "

The above is basically the case. My point is that:

1) These costs differed widely from what I had been told at the outset.
    2) They've never sent me an invoice.

Ask for an invoice then.

Btw how many times did you call, email etc?
  • Jenniefour
    Jenniefour Posts: 1,393 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Ask for an itemised invoice. I recently had some work done by a solicitor, bill came in a couple of hundred pounds more than I expected but as they'd sent a properly itemised bill I could see that their charges were correct and fair. There was an item on it that I'd forgotten about.
  • ReadingTim
    ReadingTim Posts: 3,970 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 17 July 2017 at 12:51PM
    Jenniefour wrote: »
    Ask for an itemised invoice. I recently had some work done by a solicitor, bill came in a couple of hundred pounds more than I expected but as they'd sent a properly itemised bill I could see that their charges were correct and fair. There was an item on it that I'd forgotten about.

+1.

And be aware that unless they were working on a fixed fee basis, the final bill is going to be different from any general 'quotes', 'estimates' etc you thought they gave you.

Finally, if you drip fed your solicitor info in the same way you've drip fed it into this threat, it's hardly any wonder they've racked up a massive bill simply try to extract the full story out of you!
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Solicitors will keep itemised time records. The more time you've used the more it's going to cost.
  • mrginge wrote: »

I suggested on another board that this site should advertise a full time vacancy for a dentist to scan new posts in a sort of triage process before new posts are allowed.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure