Finally I have a mortgage I can start to pay off!

Comments

• themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,885 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Osteo helped a lot yesterday, so hopefully we're getting there. When I saw the Dr earlier in the week he referred me for an MRI (which I'm pleased about). Osteo suggested I could get this done privately - it was 'only' £250 for her husband to have his knee scanned!! Clearly she doesn't realise I don't have insurance and am paying her out of my own pocket!

Work continues to be busy, which is so nice after the quiet months earlier in the year (I know I'm repeating myself but it's so nice to be busy!). In addition have done a couple of surveys and the usual click and pieces. Sold another small item on the bay yesterday - really need to pop to post box, will do that after this.

Have loads of bits and pieces to do now as we're away at a wedding this weekend and our holiday is fast approaching. Feeling more in control (and sleeping better) now I have lists in place! Have received first bits of RM stuff in post and logged them - I think this is going to be fun!

Oh, and carpet arrived today - wahoo! Can't get it fitted until next weekend though... it's two 4-metre long rolls of it.... taking up living room at moment but can't leave it there with cats around (one will eat the plastic wrap; if we unwrap it the other will scratch it!). That will be fun to sort out!

Gratitudes:
    :) Sunshine
    :) Spent a few hours yesterday nosing through archives
    :) Which reminds me - free Ancestry this weekend - worldwide!
    :) Three eggs on the Osprey nest
    :) Homemade hot cross buns

Have a good evening all!
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• try_harder
    try_harder Posts: 1,527 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Love the sound of the hot cross buns and home made ,yummy .Glad you have your carpet at long last .
  • ch4rly2002
    ch4rly2002 Posts: 460 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion
    Glad the osteo helped :) Can the Dr refer you for a scan on the NHS? When my in-laws have paid for private consultations from BUPA in the past, they have been referred to NHS for treatment so it might be worth ringing and asking as you don't have insurance. Either way, an MRI should highlight what the issue is and hopefully should lead to a resolution. Fingers crossed it's something not too difficult/painful/slow to fix. Here's hoping for a speedy fix!

I'm glad work is picking up, it did sounds to have gone a bit quiet so I'm sure the extra income will be welcome. Any news on the Ukraine money?

Yay, carpet! I bet you can't wait to have it fitted. I love my cat, but less so the dilemmas he causes, such as where to keep things so he doesn't destroy them - I feel your pain.

Thanks for the info about Ancestry, I'll take a look this weekend.
    Mortgage: Mar 2018 -£300,000 / Jul 2021 -£255,000
    Student Loan: March 2011 -£18,275.04 / Jul 2021 -£10,425.28
    Joint Savings: Aim £13.5k. Dec 2016 £1,700 / Jul 2021 £36,600
    Loan to In-Laws: Sep 2010 -£48,185.82 / Apr 2019 £0
    Car Loan: Sep 2018 -£16,265 / Apr 2019 £0
    Credit Card 0%: Nov 2016 -£4,500 / Apr 2019 £0
  • themadvix
    Sorry Ch4rly, I wasn't very clear - Dr has referred me on NHS, but it'll be about 2 months. Osteo was suggesting I went privately so it would be quicker. I don't feel I need to do that at the moment, especially not at that price.

Having cats was definitely an adjustment in terms of what we can leave around! No more flowers, unless they're in the kitchen, was the biggest disappointment I think. Although the cats more than make up for it :)

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• ch4rly2002
    ch4rly2002 Posts: 460 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion
    Hmmm, yes £250 is a lot to speed up something that doesn't feel urgent. As I said before, health is so important and is worth paying for when something urgent is needed to find out the issue or put it right, but if it's not urgent then waiting to have it done for free on the NHS is definitely a good option and one I would take every time! I'm afraid I don't have the luxury of being able to throw away 'only £250' on non-urgent treatment either. I know the NHS get a bad press, but I am really grateful for living in a country where we have access to free health care, and yes there may be a bit of a wait, but it's there when we need it. That said, I hope you don't have to wait too long :)
    Mortgage: Mar 2018 -£300,000 / Jul 2021 -£255,000
    Student Loan: March 2011 -£18,275.04 / Jul 2021 -£10,425.28
    Joint Savings: Aim £13.5k. Dec 2016 £1,700 / Jul 2021 £36,600
    Loan to In-Laws: Sep 2010 -£48,185.82 / Apr 2019 £0
    Car Loan: Sep 2018 -£16,265 / Apr 2019 £0
    Credit Card 0%: Nov 2016 -£4,500 / Apr 2019 £0
  • themadvix
    Totally agree!

• Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    themadvix wrote: »
    Totally agree!
    Me too! And one time, when I had an investigation done privately (my mother sent me the money :o) integrating that into NHS treatment was horrendous - the receptionists were very aggressive, and politics and political beliefs played a much larger part than they had any right to :( Grim, but true. It was only a scan for arthritis too, and could only have sped up the process by a month or so. Definitely wasn't worth the upset - I'm sure your decision is right.

Interesting about the adjustment when having cats. The biggest that I had to make was standing still while chopping veg etc in the kitchen - they had a habit of sitting right behind me :happylove
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • themadvix
    I've often wondered how/whether NHS and private treatment dovetail KC, so thanks for that illuminating tale :(

I think it's our cats - one is completely food obsessed, they're both big boys and they're both in the house all the time (that wasn't the original plan, but the situation changed). So they're liable to knock things over, break into the kitchen and eat anything that is lying around. We have to be very very careful with the occasional plastic bag that makes it into our house - if left around it will disappear until it reappears a couple of weeks later (it doesn't through, just comes back up - sorry, TMI!). It's very frustrating. I now worry that when we do move and I want to let them out, the plastic eater will eat things that we don't know about :( Other people's cats always seem so well behaved!!

• themadvix
    Still here, just very busy all of sudden - both work and life! Had a lovely Easter weekend - wedding on the Saturday, halfway up the country, so away Fri-Sun, not cheap but a really good time and bargainous Premier Inn instead of posh wedding hotel (even with cabs it was cheaper for 2 nights at PI than one night at hotel!). Spent Monday with DH's family and new niece.

Planning on doing car boot on Saturday, so making sure I've been through everything to check there's nothing else to get rid of! Carpet being fitted Fri evening - at last!

Too many things to be grateful for to list at the moment, but I am noting them!

• themadvix
    Two together railcard renewed, with 10% discount code and a month later than it expired as we weren't going to use it! Excess money from budget will be transferred to OP fund.

Forgot to mention earlier that I've been duly posting and receiving things as directed :) Getting the hang of it now!

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback