NHS Pension and MPAA

Hi,
I am running rings around myself so I thought I would ask on here so I can hopefully get some clarity.

I am currently in the 1995 section of the NHS pension and still contributing. I have also recently discovered a private pension pot of £19k that I had forgotten about (how I did this is beyond me!).

I would like to drawdown this pot in two lumps ( I understand the tax situation regarding emergency coding and claiming the overpaid tax back) in different tax years to avoid going into the higher tax band . I would like to buy additional NHS pension with this money. The NHS pension is a final salary scheme but I am able to buy additional pension.

I am utterly confused, no sorry clueless, around where the Money Purchase Annual Allowance fits into this. I THINK that if I drawdown the private pension I will be liable for tax on my NHS contributions above £4K,including the amount that the employer contributes-is this correct?

Can someone please explain in English how this MPAA thingy will fetch my plans?

Many thanks

Simon

Comments

• Mnd
    Mnd Posts: 1,699
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    As I understand it, you can take the 25% taxfree lump sum and as long as you don't take any taxable money then you don't come under the MPAA rules
    As long as you don't take over £7.5k you will also not fall foul of the recycling rules.
    However I don't claim to be an expert and if I'm wrong somebody will correct me
    No.79 save £12k in 2020. Total end May £11610
    Annual target £24000
  • greenglide
    greenglide Posts: 3,301
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!
    Forumite
    edited 29 November 2017 at 11:10PM
    The MPAA only applies to DC schemes so you can continue contributions to the NHS scheme.

Any contributions to personal / private pensions will be subject to it.

See here https://www.aegon.co.uk/support/faq/pension-technical/MPAA.html
  • cloud_dog
    cloud_dog Posts: 6,026
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    OP, are you sure you want to put all your eggs in your NHS pension basket?

Is it possible you may want to retire early, or before you are able to access the NHS pension? This PP might prove very useful in allowing some flexibility.
    Personal Responsibility - Sad but True :D

Sometimes.... I am like a dog with a bone
  • cloud_dog wrote: »
    OP, are you sure you want to put all your eggs in your NHS pension basket?

Is it possible you may want to retire early, or before you are able to access the NHS pension? This PP might prove very useful in allowing some flexibility.

Fair point, but the OP is a member of the 1995 section of the NHS pension and therefore has a normal retirement age of 60.
  • cloud_dog
    cloud_dog Posts: 6,026
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Fair point, but the OP is a member of the 1995 section of the NHS pension and therefore has a normal retirement age of 60.
    Ok, fair comment but, the question still stands.

If they are planning / happy to work to 60 and if any transferred in monies can buy additional years, and in what NHS scheme, what is the implication of this?
    Personal Responsibility - Sad but True :D

Sometimes.... I am like a dog with a bone
  • I am intent on early retirement in a couple of years. I want to use the drawdown money to buy added pension-you buy it in lots of £250, £500 etc. I have enquired at NHS pensions but they are yet to respond in a form of intelligible language. It is very frustrating. It looks like I’ll have to see an IFA as HMRC were useless as well. The lady on the end of the phone at HMRC had to ask a colleague what the tax bands were. Hopeless.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure