The Simple Bare Necessities feat. Gratitude & Recipes

Options

Comments

• beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,270 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    My achillies heel is not asking for help :(:(
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Greying_Pilgrim
    Options
    EH - I have to use my underbed drawers for the sheets and blankets :( We didn't keep our 'airing' cupboard when we had a new boiler. In our case, it made much more sense to demolish it and incorporate more space into what's become BG's room. If you'd seen how shonkily the cupboard was built - you'd have pulled it down too :D Hence the need for a specific box, of a specific length and specific specification......... ;) *wheresthetongueincheeksmiley?*

Ah Taxi - of course, of course. I remember her from karma's thread and Pippi's thread when I first started reading DFW diaries (those being the first two I read), and then obviously read her own diary following on from there.

redo - I'm allergic to housework (*wheresthetongueincheeksmiley?* ;)) and so don't frequent that thread, but you're right, gone but not forgotten. We've lost Rosieben and Squeaky too. Lovely, lovely people, who left their mark through selfless service and kindness to others.

*lobs a warmed wheat bag in beanie's direction* - have you hurt it recently? or does it play up in the colder weather? BOOO to recalcitrant achilles heels! Seek help achilles! and get ye mended soonest! Hear ye the word of the MSE brigade, achilles! Look for support, that you in turn, achilles, may support our friend beanie! :D really hope you can find some comfort soon, beanz - we need you on our threads, urging us on :D

Well, I got lucky up the high street and got some Cr1cket $t Th0mas somerset cheeses from h3r0n f00ds. I went for the capricorn goats cheese 100g for 39p b/b 7th Dec '17 and the camembert 140g for 69p b/b 9th Dec '17. I didn't select the brie (not a huge fan) but that was...... 39p I think for a thin wedge (don't quote me, it would be 69p if it wasn't 39p - iyswim) b/b 25th Nov '17. i couldn't not at those prices. I have no idea what to do with the camembert (rtandon & EH - don't say *lob it to us* ;):D), but I'm going to enjoy looking up some recipes to make good use of it - I have until the 9th dec at least.

I also got a 'traditional' Cmas ornament from a chazzer - you know, the chap who's birthday it is, his ma & pa, a lamb and a moo cow - oh, and the inn-keeper's got in on the act for some reason. Anyway, it's a bit shonky, is old and dusty and looks like it's come from Emily's shop for broken & lost things, but for some reason, I wished to own it...........

Right, BG went down for a nap a while ago, so I best make hay.

Ta for popping in and remembering good people with me. Appreciated.

Greying X
    Pounds for Panes £2,590/£10,000 - start date Dec 2023

Coins for Camping (April) -  £7/£15  (Camping TTD - £60/90)

Grocery spend April £184.08/215
    Non-food household spend April £27.83/25
    Bulk Fund April 0/£10

Knitted items for charity 1/24 (inc. Blankets 1/6)
  • EssexHebridean
    Options
    Aww Bagpuss reference - today is a GOOD day! :D
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • rtandon27
    rtandon27 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Cheese bargains?!?;):D:j:j:j

Well done on scouting out those bargains GP...

If you truly are not going to lob the cheese to where it would have a good home then try this with the camembert...

Easy & delicious! :T (We've done it with chopped cooked greens instead of the peppers!) Nothing nicer than some gooey warm cheese at this time of year!

Goat's cheese is good in one pot pasta - again with greens of your choice!:D

How lovely that you have rehomed the bday boy & his entourage -
    I've a soft spot for a creche at xmas too - have over the years accumulated three miniature sets - one of which gets set up on my desk at work to counteract the bah humbugness of the season, when secret santa, glittery tinsel & xmas lunch plans try to invade my universe:eek: :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    4 YEARS 10 MONTHS DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    ...and now I have a mortgage! (23 AUG 2021)
    17 YEARS 4 MONTHS LEFT OF 20 YEARS
  • apple_muncher
    Options
    We have a nativity that we store in a shoe box. All the characters are made out of loo roll innards, crepe/tissue paper and paint. With a bit of pipe cleaner possibly. Made it several years ago with dd and it comes out every year. Dd often sets it up on the floor and wehave to be careful not to be constantly kicking characters around the room!
    NST March lion #8; NSD ; MFW9/3/23 Whoop Whoop!!!
  • EssexHebridean
    Options
    Goats cheese also makes an amazing topping for a pizza - in fact would go rather splendidly with black olives, I would think?

Those pastry parcels though RT - oh my! Oozy cheese indeed! Possibly my favourite use for gooey sorts of cheese (other than just to eat, with crackers!) is cut into pieces and thrown into a warm salad with some bacon and croutons - just perfect, and good no matter what the time of year!
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • WannabeFree
    WannabeFree Posts: 4,438 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Can always rely on popping in here to find the chat about delicious food :drool:

Hope BG is feeling better and you both get a good nights sleep x
    “Once you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the way.”
  • UncannyScot
    UncannyScot Posts: 2,070 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    We used to have a nativity thingy at our high school with an Action Man for Joseph and a barbie or a sindy doll for mary and a wee babby jesus and the farm animals...
    I think it lasted all of three days...
    Pupils took great delight in... erm positioning the various figures :eek:
    BUGGRITMILLENIUMHANDANDSHRIMP I TOLD EM! - Foul Ole Ron
    It is important that we know where we come from, because if you do not know where you come from, then you do not know where you are, and if you don't know where you are, then you don't know where you are going. If you don't know where you're going, you're probably going wrong.
    R.I.P. T.P.
  • Greying_Pilgrim
    Options
    Good Evening :hello:

Visitors, how luverly :D

rtandon - that recipe looks lush :D Deffo going to try that out :D Ta. I expect that at the back of my mind, somewhere in the deep, dark recesses there is a connection between 'simplicity' and what Cmas is supposed to be about - depending on points of view, natch. But I thought the lad and his ma & pa needed to represent....... ;)

apple - thank goodness you've not got a golden labrador puppy - the family would be all over the place! :D

EH - red onions and black olives may well become bestest pals with my capricorns and adorn a bit 'o homemade dough :D

WannabeFree - ay up lovely :D The downside of virtual nosh is i can't serve it to anyone! Wish we had a caf, that y'all could come to and sit at the table, when you needed someone else to just take the food prep reins for a bit, for whatever reason :D Stick with us hun, stick with us :D

UncannyScot - norty :naughty: :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Argh, right. So. Baby Greying decided to be awake crying for much of the night last night :( DH and I shouldered the burden, but we're both a bit bleary :( I suspect the matter was made worse by the snotti snuffles, but also I think we're moving on developmentally and BG is finding that the world doesn't always work like they thought it did and they're getting a bit stampy of foot about it........ ho hum. This too shall pass, this too shall pass.............. BG was a bit better (snotti snuffles wise) today, so I'm hopeful they are on the mend. We had a lovely time in the playpark (free) the upside of crappy weather is that there were very few others there, so plenty of choice of things to play on :j Wrapped up warmly, I can't think of a better place to be with a tiny tot :D

Tea last night was 'bitsa' - curry in this case - from the freezer, augmented by some dhal and basmati rice. I love dhal, I really do. I should make a vat of it, everytime I cook it. So satisfying, so yummy, so filling and packed with protein :j

Tea tonight was leek and potato soup, using 2 of the leeks i got in the mrAl S6 on the weekend. And I know that I don't have to tell you, but good, tasty leeks make good, tasty soup. FArm F00ds please take note! I also made some nigella seed flatbreads to go with. A really nice tea, filling and yet inexpensive :D Gotta be my mantra, as the budget is dwindling quick smart :(

I have spent some time crafting today (a luxury I know). And I have just finished the item off :D The pattern was 'free' via rav3lry. I've only just recently signed up. I seriously think if I signed up to p1ntrest too, y'all may never see me again! :think:

Voices Off: maybe zis iz a good sing Greying. U should give more consideration we feel .........

Today I am grateful for these 3 things;

well written crafting instructions that work
    -and may even fit! :j:rotfl:

a handwritten letter arriving from a friend :j

A hilarious email response from a friend who shares the same sense of humour and 'gets' the jokes
    - it makes for good correspondence :D

Thanks for popping in and sayin' howdy. It's always appreciated. Always.

Greying X

Bulk Fund April 0/£10

• Greying_Pilgrim
    Options
    Good Morning :hello:

BG slept through the night and is still currently snoring :j:j <--- I'd like to say that those are DH and me, but we're both a bit weary still.......LOL :rotfl:

Lots of itty bitty chores on the agenda today. Definitely need to get out and about for some fresh air and exercise too. Weather dependent, that one though :(

I'm pretty sure it is parsnip risotto on the meal plan for tonight. Utilising the last HUGE gifted parsnip. Gotta hammer those expenses down and make every penny squeak! :) We will need some staples today, but DH can be in charge of getting those - and nowt else - from mrL.

I forgot to say, I was in HB yesterday in the 'food' bit and there was a corned beef tin 'key' on the floor. I do hope that it got reunited with the tin it came off - just in case someone hadn't a spare. Do people keep them? Is it easy to unravel (without cutting yourself to shreds) the tin strip from the key once you've opened the tin? There was a 'key' in our cutlery drawer 'at home' when I was growing up - we rarely, if ever, had corned beef, but I remember the key. I still can't fathom mrL's logic on not supplying a key at all with their tins of corned beef. Can't fathom it at all.

Right, best get a tail feather shifting. Time waits for no MSE'r! :D

Greying X

Bulk Fund April 0/£10

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure