Compensation for delayed flights Discussion Area

Comments

• Hi all. Can anyone tell me how far back I can claim for a flight delay
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,533
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Hi all. Can anyone tell me how far back I can claim for a flight delay
    6 years for England and Wales, 5 for Scotland. You can claim for flights further back but the airlines know that they can ignore or reject your claim and there is nothing you can do about it after these times (deadlines for going to court)
  • williduck
    williduck Posts: 17 Forumite
    Hi

I have been denied compensation for a delay due to extraordinary circumstances for ATC issues, however I do not believe our flight was subject to ATC restrictions more that it was earlier flights in the day affecting the plane?

If the lane had been delayed earlier in the day due to ATC restrictions thus affecting our flight is this justification to deny compensation?

Thanks

Will
  • DrA_Harrogate
    DrA_Harrogate Posts: 341
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 2 March 2017 at 12:29PM
    Briefly, if the restrictions did not affect your flight then compensation is payable. Download and fully digest Vauban's guide and proceed accordingly. Do come back for further advice - post in the the relevant airline thread as it keeps the place tidy!
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,533
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    williduck wrote: »
    I have been denied compensation for a delay due to extraordinary circumstances for ATC issues, however I do not believe our flight was subject to ATC restrictions

you can use the free NWNF checkers - EUClaim / bottonline and they will give a good indication on whether there should be compensation due
  • symphony63
    symphony63 Posts: 105
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Tyzap wrote: »
    It sounds like this could be a case of denied boarding.

In which case this is what should happen.....

Any new right to compensation according to Article 7 will apply to the re-routed flight accepted under Article 8(1)(b) or (c) if it is also cancelled or delayed at arrival (see Section 4.4.11). The Commission recommends that options are clearly spelled out to passengers when assistance is to be provided.

Good luck.
    This is exactly my question. Article 7 (2) "When passengers are offered re-routing to their final destination on an alternative flight pursuant to Article 8, the arrival time of which does not exceed the scheduled arrival time of the flight originally booked".
    That seems to me as the airline being correct refusing compensation. The flight arrived 1hr 32min later than the original scheduled arrival time.
    Or, that paragraph in the Notices could mean that there is now a new right for compensation ie if there is a delay on the re-routed flight, Article 7 (1)comes into force. Article 4 (1) states "Volunteers shall be assisted in accordance with Article 8, such assistance being additional to the benefits mentioned in this paragraph. The Notices add to this that Article 7 also applies as a new right for compensation. Therefore Article 7(2) is not relevant.
    And where is Section 4.4.11 quoted in the Notices maybe there it should give some clarification?
  • Tyzap
    Tyzap Posts: 2,112
    Forumite
    Reading the regs is as clear as mud sometime.

I have not seen your question raised before so it may take the CAA or a court to unravel it. El-Al have not appointed a conciliation company, according to the CAA website, and I doubt if any NWNF company would deal with it either.

Contacting the CAA for their opinion may be your next port of call.

Good luck.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,084
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Clearly the poster was denied boarding, not a cancelled flight, being shunted from 1 plane to the next (and an earlier flight)
    So claim number 1 under reg 261/2004. which could ( and should) have been claimed from the moment the flight was denied boarding.

What occurs next, to my mind becomes seperate incident.
    Said new flight was then delayed >3 hrs beyond the original flight arrival (and even more delay from the new flight arrival time)
    Claim number 2
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • Vauban
    Vauban Posts: 4,736
    Forumite
    If you voluntarily off-load yourself (for a free flight and voucher) are we sure that constitutes "denied boarding". I'm not sure it does ...
  • Hi,

My flight was delayed by 45 mins from Mumbai to Heathrow. This meant that I missed my connecting flight. BA put me on the next available flight (the next morning) so i arrived at my destination 12 hrs later than expected. Both flights were operated by BA and on the same ticket number, Can I claim compensation for this?

Thanks
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure