Voice Dialling or other legal in-car options?

Hopefully you bunch of knowledgeable people can help me out here...

I'd like the option to legally use my phone whilst driving.

My car doesn't have bluetooth. My phone is a Sony Xperia X Compact, and Sony seem to offer the App 'Voice Control', but this can only be used with another piece of Sony hardware (Smartwatch etc).

I thought I'd just be able to buy a mobile phone holder, sit my phone in it, and be able to make calls using voice command(s) etc, but I can't figure out if this is possible or not?

I have looked at the Supertooth Buddy system, but cannot find if it enables voice commands, and how easy it is to make calls, not just receive them.

Or does anyone have any other suggestions of how to go about this?

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Undervalued
    Undervalued Posts: 8,844 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    TangoFiver wrote: »
    Hopefully you bunch of knowledgeable people can help me out here...

I'd like the option to legally use my phone whilst driving.

My car doesn't have bluetooth. My phone is a Sony Xperia X Compact, and Sony seem to offer the App 'Voice Control', but this can only be used with another piece of Sony hardware (Smartwatch etc).

I thought I'd just be able to buy a mobile phone holder, sit my phone in it, and be able to make calls using voice command(s) etc, but I can't figure out if this is possible or not?

I have looked at the Supertooth Buddy system, but cannot find if it enables voice commands, and how easy it is to make calls, not just receive them.

Or does anyone have any other suggestions of how to go about this?

Thanks in advance :)

Keep in mind that even with the correct kit you can still be driving without due care and attention or worse!

Related to your question, but not directly answering it, some Garmin SatNavs will act as bluetooth hands free systems.

Certain older models still need you to press the SatNav screen to answer a call so, as I understand it, they would not be legal. Newer ones will voice answer and dial from your contacts so are presumably OK (subject to my first paragraph of course).
  • Jivesinger
    Jivesinger Posts: 1,221 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Certain older models still need you to press the SatNav screen to answer a call so, as I understand it, they would not be legal.
    Don't think so - it's only illegal to use a hand-held phone so as long as the phone is in a cradle or similar it's not illegal under that rule. (Although the point is valid about other offences such as careless driving applying if your phone distracts you.)

For instance this site (and it's gov.uk so it should be official) says you can use your phone as a satnav as long as it's hands free:
    The law
    • It's illegal to use a handheld mobile when driving. This includes using your phone to follow a map, read a text or check social media. This applies even if you’re stopped at traffic lights or queuing in traffic.
    • Using hands free (e.g. for navigation) is not illegal. However, if this distracts you and affects your ability to drive safely, you can still be prosecuted by the police.
  • TangoFiver
    TangoFiver Posts: 94 Forumite
    some Garmin SatNavs will act as bluetooth hands free systems.

Yeah I have one which does just that, but I don't want to have to take it with me just for the very rare occasion where I may need to make a call. (It's cumbersome, an advert for thieves - even just the suction mark - and have to have the volume at MAX to hear other person).

I guess it's not possible to voice command my phone then?

And how about things like the Supertooth Buddy, is that legal/easy to MAKE calls rather than just receive them?
  • RumRat
    RumRat Posts: 4,782 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Plenty of BT car kits out there.....Some of the better ones that don't need any wiring can be found HERE.
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
  • TangoFiver
    TangoFiver Posts: 94 Forumite
    RumRat wrote: »
    Plenty of BT car kits out there.....Some of the better ones that don't need any wiring can be found HERE.

Yeah I thought the Parrot Minikit+ would do me, but it's only got 3.5 / 5 off the reviews on Amazon, I know it's the budget-end of the Parrot devices, but it's still around £50 :(

I just thought I'd be able to get an app for my phone, then stick it in a phone holder and jobs a goodun :o
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,549 Forumite
    Plenty of quality handsfree kits of ebay. I paid under £20 because they listed it for one particular model of car. But its a kit where you can change the cradles and uses standard connector blocks.

So the only fits Golf with VW stereo, it fitted my Ford with a Sony stereo. Just required 2 additional pluy and play cables for the steering wheel controls.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• LadyDee
    LadyDee Posts: 4,293 Forumite
    Somehow we managed for decades without phones in cars so just WHY is it ever necessary to make/take a call whilst driving? If my phone rings in the car I ignore it. Important? They'll ring back or leave a message. Emergency? Pull over, stop and make/take the call.

Anybody caught texting whilst driving should have their car impounded, not be fined. Likewise using a phone in anything but an absolute, life and death emergency.
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    LadyDee wrote: »
    Somehow we managed for decades without phones in cars so just WHY is it ever necessary to make/take a call whilst driving? If my phone rings in the car I ignore it. Important? They'll ring back or leave a message. Emergency? Pull over, [STRIKE]stop[/STRIKE] park up, switch off the engine and make/take the call.

Anybody caught texting whilst driving should have their car impounded, not be fined. Likewise using a phone in anything but an absolute, life and death emergency.
    Amended that slightly for you ;)
  • RumRat
    RumRat Posts: 4,782 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Somehow we managed for decades without phones in cars so just WHY is it ever necessary to make/take a call whilst driving? If my phone rings in the car I ignore it. Important? They'll ring back or leave a message. Emergency? Pull over, stop and make/take the call.

The moral high ground is all very well, but, it didn't answer the 'Tech' question asked by the OP....:think:
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
  • Uxb
    Uxb Posts: 1,340 Forumite

The world has changed
    You are EXPECTED to be contactable.
    Some people work on emergency call out type jobs - that is to say they do what they want while being ready on call; and when and if that call comes in to fix whatever it is they are expected to answer it immediately.
    Another example - recruitment. Short list for interview/job is x people long. Agency will go down list contacting them- if you don't answer they will move onto the next person - and indeed they will not come back to you.
    Same for tradesmen if they don't answer the client will simply move on to the next one on the list to do the job.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure