Pregnancy / Benefits - Advice Please

Hi all,

I'm after some guidance please.

Me & the OH have been together for 20yrs+, we are not married but live together and have a mortgage. Unfortunately, he no longer works and is in receipt of DLA & ESA (Support group). I work full time (40hrs a week / £21k) and have savings put by for retirement (over £16k).

We are hoping to start a family and i wondered where we stand with financial support if and when we have a baby. It's all a bit "what if" at the moment as we are trying to work out what our money situation will be before we take the plunge....

My Employers offers the standard SMP rate 2 weeks full pay, 4 weeks at 90% then following months on SMP Rate.

Any advice much appreciated xx

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    If you have savings over £16,000 you are excluded from means tested benefits (Universal Credit and Council Tax Reduction). From the way you have phrased your question I suspect you know this. Once your savings drop below £16,000 you will become eligible for UC. Whether or not you are actually entitled to receive anything will depend on your circumstances https://www.entitledto.co.uk/.

The capital limit for CTR will depend on your particular local authority.

Note that if your 'pension savings' were actually in a pension plan they would be ignored as capital.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Rubyroobs
    Rubyroobs Posts: 866 Forumite
    It's your savings that would prevent you getting any Uc for now. however once they drop below 16k you would get Universal credit if just on smp. You would get couples element, child element and your partner would get LCWRA element and you could get carers element assuming your partner gets at least middle rate DLA care component. You would also get higher work allowance whilst on maternity leave as you would still be treated as working . Your partners ESA ( assumed to be contributions based) would continue to be paid separately and then deducted from UC and DLA is not affected by UC.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,472 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    As others have said, money 'put by' for any reason but still accessible is still counted when your capital is calculated. You might want to consider putting it into a pension scheme but that would mean it's not accessible if it is required.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    TELLIT01 wrote: »
    As others have said, money 'put by' for any reason but still accessible is still counted when your capital is calculated. You might want to consider putting it into a pension scheme but that would mean it's not accessible if it is required.

Not sure whether moving some money into a pension plan now could be seen as 'deprivation of capital'.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • WhenIam64
    WhenIam64 Posts: 1,052 Forumite
    What about Maternity Pay

https://www.gov.uk/maternity-pay-leave

and a Maternity Grant (not a lot but something

https://www.gov.uk/sure-start-maternity-grant

See also Maternity Allowance if you’re not eligible for Statutory Maternity Pay, though you should be.

Also employer should keep your job open for you in case you decide to return at some point. I believe Amber Rudd (DWP) was off for all of 6 weeks before she returned,
    Unlike some here, I am not omniscient. If I am wrong correct me. I won't take offence.

The law is like an ocean - have a swim but don't drown.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure