PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Help to Buy ISA Closed Incorrectly

Options
Hi,

My partner and I are due to exchange on a flat this week however we have found out today that my partner's bank incorrectly closed his Help to Buy ISA (they transferred the funds before closing the account so the closing balance is zero) therefore he is not eligible for the bonus. They transferred the funds last Tuesday and said they closed the account but could not immediately provide a statement, they actually closed the account last Wednesday and only provided the closing statement today (Monday).

My partner has been in the bank every day since last Tuesday as we were hoping to exchange last week so he's been trying to rush them along. They provided an apology letter for the delay last week including the account details and balance (before anyone realised it had been closed incorrectly) and have now basically admitted that it was closed incorrectly due to their error. But how do we actually go about ensuring that we can still get the bonus?

Our solicitors have mentioned an expedited application process that they can make without having a closing statement but that the bonus will not be guaranteed. I wonder if anyone who has been through the same could advise on the best approach.

Thanks

Comments

• Yalpsmol
    Yalpsmol Posts: 222 Forumite
    Options
    I went through the exact same thing a month or two ago. Search my name and you'll find my thread. I was advised to make a complaint in writing and did so. Within 48 hours someone called me and it was sorted within another 5 working days. I was given £100 compensation. I did all this online/by phone as I couldnt visit any branches.
  • Yalpsmol
    Options
    They reinstated my balance and then had to leave it for 48 hours to "register" as it were hence why it took 5-6 working days to receive the closing statement. That was Natwest.
  • Yalpsmol
    Options
    Although...sorry so many posts. They never closed my account the first time. The eejit just transferred the balance. So maybe its difference. I would kick off and demand your money ASAP.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Could you not edit the last post Yalpsmol ?
  • AKG23
    AKG23 Posts: 27 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks for your response, Yalpsmol. I think because they transferred the money and closed the account it might not be as easy as putting all the funds back in. They've sent an apology letter admitting it was their error and including what the closing statement should have been plus some instructions to our Conveyancer of how to claim the bonus. I'm really hoping this can be resolved quickly and that we can still exchange and complete this week.
  • Samm91
    Options
    I am currently going through the exact same situation. I’m currently awaiting the apology letter including what the closing balance should have been.

What was the outcome in your situation? Did this suffice and did it cause any delays?

Thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport