BUDGET INSURANCE: WARNING if you insure high value jewellery with them

Options
Declan1979
Declan1979 Posts: 4 Newbie
edited 21 January 2020 at 8:51PM in Insurance & life assurance
If you insure high value jewellery via Budget Insurance, please take a minute to read my horror story.

In 2018/19 I insured my fiancees engagement ring via my home and contents insurance with Budget Insurance with an agreed and certified valuation of £5000, I paid a premium for this level of cover. When the worst happened and my fiancee lost her ring in May 2019 I was devastated by what happened next.

Budget gave me three settlement options;

1. A replacement ring from their preferred supplier (who have admitted they cannot replicate the proprietary design of the ring, nor the craftsmanship of the Hatton Garden jeweller where I purchased the ring from),

2. £4000 high street gift vouchers, or,

3. A £3174 cash settlement, minus £150 excess.

None of these options “put me back in a pre-insured event position” as their claims handlers have quoted at me throughout this process.

For the past 10 months me and my fiancee have been subjected to a lengthy and stressful complaints procedure, we have been passed back and forth between Budget and their TPA claims handler (Integra), we have been fed ambiguous responses to our questions and have been shown no empathy or pragmatism. I have had to invest over 50 hours of my own personal time in this process and have developed emotional and physical stress symptoms.

In desperation for a fair outcome, have been forced to raise this matter with the Financial Ombudsman (FOS). Whilst I am still awaiting their formal response, the FOS have many case studies on their website detailing their previous (upheld) responses to this exact claims scenario.

To add insult to injury, Budget decided to increase my policy premium by c40% in December, despite no claims outcome having yet been determined. I have appealed to their CEO, Matt Donaldson, in hope he may understand and empathise with our situation. The matter was escalated to a senior level within Budget, yet today they called me and they dismissed my appeal as if I was nothing!

I just want my fiancee to once again wear the same engagement ring that she wore when I proposed to her. As any person would understand, jewellery design and craftsmanship holds important sentimental value. Due to this on-going saga we’re also now worried we may have to postpone our wedding which is planned for May this year.

As an honest and loyal customer who has paid a premium to have a specific item with an agreed value insured, I simply want to be “put back into a pre-insured event position” as Budgets claims handlers have quoted at me throughout this process. I’m not asking for anything else….. surely I am not being unreasonable?

Any advice appreciated, I'm desperate for a fair outcome and a satisfactory ending to this claims nightmare!

Thanks in advance.
Declan

:beer:

Comments

• Zorillo
    Zorillo Posts: 774 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    How much did the ring cost in the first place, and can you prove what you paid for it?
  • Declan1979
    Options
    Zorillo wrote: »
    How much did the ring cost in the first place, and can you prove what you paid for it?

Thank you. Of course, I supplied an agree valuation certificate to Budget when I took out the policy with them, it was supplied with the ring when I bought it from the Hatton Garden jewellers
  • annabanana82
    annabanana82 Posts: 3,023 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Why would you have to postpone your wedding?
    Make £2023 in 2023 (#36) £3479.30/£2023

Make £2024 in 2024...
  • annabanana82
    annabanana82 Posts: 3,023 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Why would you have to postpone the wedding?
    As emotive as it may be the most important part of the wedding is you and your Bride.
    Make £2023 in 2023 (#36) £3479.30/£2023

Make £2024 in 2024...
  • Declan1979
    Options
    Why would you have to postpone the wedding?
    As emotive as it may be the most important part of the wedding is you and your Bride.

You are quite correct.... and it may sound trivial to some people, but we want our wedding to be 100% perfect :(
  • Zorillo
    Zorillo Posts: 774 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Declan1979 wrote: »
    Thank you. Of course, I supplied an agree valuation certificate to Budget when I took out the policy with them, it was supplied with the ring when I bought it from the Hatton Garden jewellers
    Forget the valuation for a moment. How much did it cost and can you prove what you paid for it?
  • Declan1979
    Options
    Zorillo wrote: »
    Forget the valuation for a moment. How much did it cost and can you prove what you paid for it?

Hi Zorilla, I can, it's what the ring was valued at when I bought it (£5000). I sent the valuation certificate to Budget, which was the only requirement of the policy.

There is a whole separate discussion about the value of the ring now, as the price of gold/diamonds may have gone up over the past 3-4 years. But the bottom line is, I was paying a premium to have this piece insured at a specified and agreed value - and that's what I believe I am entitled to.
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,615 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Do the fos case studies give you hope?

Your options are fos of legal action.
    Unfortunately you can’t use your home insurance legal cover to sue your insiurer. This is one of the reasons I buy standalone legal insurance.

You might be able to use the small claims court (check limits) otherwise you need to wait for fos.

You won’t get anything for delaying your wedding in terms of compensation.
  • paddyandstumpy
    Options
    Declan1979 wrote: »
    Hi Zorilla, I can, it's what the ring was valued at when I bought it (£5000). I sent the valuation certificate to Budget, which was the only requirement of the policy.

There is a whole separate discussion about the value of the ring now, as the price of gold/diamonds may have gone up over the past 3-4 years. But the bottom line is, I was paying a premium to have this piece insured at a specified and agreed value - and that's what I believe I am entitled to.

What does the policy wording say about how they settle claims?

I do empathise with you OP, my wife's engagement ring was handmade by a bespoke jeweller and I'd only trust him to rebuild it in the event of a loss.

As such, I did my research, discussed claims settlement with my home insurer and wasn't satisfied with their response. So, I took out specific jewellery insurance on the ring, knowing they would pay to have it remade where it was made, not by a volume or high street jeweller.
  • BooJewels
    BooJewels Posts: 2,863 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    As the OP hasn't answered the question as to how much he paid for the ring, just what the valuation certificate says, it would be my suspicion that the insurers have contacted the Hatton Garden jeweller, asked what was actually paid and have offered this in settlement.

Perhaps he's embarrassed that he's been rumbled for not spending as much on the ring as he's claimed to his bride-to-be. And perhaps if something is so precious to the extent that without it they're contemplating the significant loss of money that postponing the wedding would incur - maybe you shouldn't entrust such preciousness in a company with 'Budget' in their name.

And that's not even taking into consideration how on earth your fiance lost the ring in the first instance. I got engaged about 39 years ago and can count on the fingers of one hand how many times that ring has been off my finger - and it was hand crafted by a local goldsmith to my own design, so very much a one-off - and is insured with photos lodged with the insurer. My wedding ring never has been off.

The price of gold and diamonds might also have come down - precious metal prices fluctuate daily.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure