Refused Refund by Argos for Faulty Laptop

I’ve had my laptop less than 30 days and the mouse pad keeps sticking, not scrolling. I just know it’s going to break if I keep forcing the pad down to scroll. So I reset it and put it back in its original packaging.
I contacted the Live Helpline and they refused refund stating...
“As t's been used, we're unable to arrange a collection and refund. To return items, they must be in an unused sealed resalable condition in order to have a refund issued -Simon”
Then when I said I’m within 30 days and it’s faulty I am within my rights for a refund he said...
“If you believe there's a fault we'd need you to contact the dedicated helpline Acer 0371 760 1000
Monday - Friday; 9.00am - 6.00pm so they can find and rectify the fault. -Simon“

I don’t want it fixed I’m asking for a refund. If it happened once it’ll probably happen again. Am I within my rights for a refund? It says noting in their website about laptops being unrefundable.
Total debt 12/18 £9365.74 | Now: DEBT FREE
House Deposit 11/21 £11,192 | Need £25k

Comments

• I’ve had my laptop less than 30 days and the mouse pad keeps sticking, not scrolling. I just know it’s going to break if I keep forcing the pad down to scroll. So I reset it and put it back in its original packaging.
    I contacted the Live Helpline and they refused refund stating...
    “As t's been used, we're unable to arrange a collection and refund. To return items, they must be in an unused sealed resalable condition in order to have a refund issued -Simon”
    Then when I said I’m within 30 days and it’s faulty I am within my rights for a refund he said...
    “If you believe there's a fault we'd need you to contact the dedicated helpline Acer 0371 760 1000
    Monday - Friday; 9.00am - 6.00pm so they can find and rectify the fault. -Simon“

I don’t want it fixed I’m asking for a refund. If it happened once it’ll probably happen again. Am I within my rights for a refund? It says noting in their website about laptops being unrefundable.

If it is indeed faulty you able to reject it within 30 days for a refund. However Argos are allowed to confirm it is indeed faulty first. They can get Acer to confirm this .
  • Diamandis
    Diamandis Posts: 881
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    You can use your short term right to reject within 30 days but they are entitled to check a fault exists and they may do this through acer.
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I had a Chromebook which had the same issue when I used it whilst it was charging. When it wasn't charging the touchpad worked perfectly, whilst charging it was very difficult to get it to scroll, maybe that's the problem ? Just a thought.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure