Housing Association Plumber caused flood, HA refusing to cover damages

Plumber from my HA came because we had no water, messed around with the valves in tank in attic and left. Within 10 minutes of him leaving it started to overflow and HA didn't send someone till 7hrs later to fix it.

Ceilings, Carpets, Flooring and Walls are damaged from the flood and HA are refusing to pay or compensate for damages. Had no contents insurance. HA say should have had contents insurance even though they acknowledge their plumber caused all the damages and so refusing to pay. Where do I stand?

Comments

• for what are they refusing to pay? its their property
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Well in law you'd need to prove your landlord (even vicariously through their agents) were negligent. If they weren't negligent then I'm afraid there would be no claim.

That means that whatever the plumber did, that no reasonably skilled plumber would have done the same thing. So have you had someone diagnose what actually caused the flood?
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • zoob
    zoob Posts: 573 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    I’m assuming the buildings is insured either by yourself under your obligations as the tenant or by the HA
    Ceiling, carpet, walls and flooring are normally covered under building insurance and not contents
  • Carpet and Flooring
  • POPPYOSCAR
    POPPYOSCAR Posts: 14,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    zoob wrote: »
    I’m assuming the buildings is insured either by yourself under your obligations as the tenant or by the HA
    Ceiling, carpet, walls and flooring are normally covered under building insurance and not contents

In my experience carpets are covered by contents and not buildings.
  • The HA plumber admitted that the entry valve wasnt attached properly and the overflow pipe wasnt adjusted or something like that. They further confirmed this over the phone and agreed it was their plumbers fault.
  • How quickly did you turn the water stop valve off?
  • carpets and flooring purchased by yourself? or is it HA owned?
  • How quickly did you turn the water stop valve off?

The one they advised, straight away but that didn't turn the water off. They later said that stop valve is only for the kitchen tap.
  • Carpet HA, Flooring myself.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport