DMP mutual support thread part 13 !!

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    edited 15 February 2019 at 10:10PM
    I had 2 identical letters from L**k today, referring to each of the old MBNA debts they have bought. I'm self-managing now after almost 5 years on a SC DMP.

One of the debts is UE, they told me this over a year ago after they couldn't produce any CCA paperwork, and I'm still paying £1 a month. Yes, I know I don't need to but I keep getting hassle about how the debt still needs to be paid even though it is UE. I'm now paying the enforceable one @£6 a month because when they asked for bank statements at the time I discussed my last I&E with them (stupidlly done over the phone:o)they said any payment of £5 and under had to be referred to a senior manager. I was previously paying £1 a month token payment on it. I have no intention of sending bank statements and that kept them quiet for a while. I told them that as the other debt is UE I don't need to pay anything but will keep up the £1 for the time being

All my other creditors have accepted F&Fs but my offer to L**k at the end of last year for the enforceable one resulted in an unacceptable offer from them of 65% payable. It isn't impossible for me as my other creditors have settled at a very acceptable price:j but on principle I don't want to pay this amount as they've already had about £10k paid off when on the DMP:(

Someone from L**k phoned me a couple of weeks ago to discuss my payment plan and said there wasn't one on place:eek:. We'd only agreed the last one at the end of last year:doh:. I reminded her of that and after a bit of a wait she said as a special concession she would OK the arrangement. Then I received the letters today to confirm that and was a bit concerned by the wording. They both said:

'We are writing to confirm the informal arrangement agreed in relation to your account. This arrangement has been agreed with you on a concessionary basis and without either full disclosure of your current financial circumstances or because you will not distribute your available income equally in line with the amount outstanding to each creditor.....'

This arrangement stands for a year from now. Should I be worried? I have no intention of ever sending bank statements or paying more than £1 to the UE debt so I can't see what is likely to happen from their side when the year is up. Or sooner, knowing them:mad:

Any advice welcome:beer:
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,825 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Hi carbootiness,

Why on earth are you paying it at all ?

If they can’t provide the correct paperwork, it’s unenforceable, your giving them credibility when they have non.

My response would be if you can’t provide what you are supposed to provide under the terms of sec 77/79 CCA, then I’m not paying any further sums of money to you until you do comply with the law.

Thank you and don’t bother me again.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • sourcrates wrote: »
    Hi carbootiness,

Why on earth are you paying it at all ?

If they can’t provide the correct paperwork, it’s unenforceable, your giving them credibility when they have non.

My response would be if you can’t provide what you are supposed to provide under the terms of sec 77/79 CCA, then I’m not paying any further sums of money to you until you do comply with the law.

Thank you and don’t bother me again.

One of the debts is enforceable though, the one I'm paying £6 a month to. They are forever giving me hassle about that one and I don't want them to cut up rough if I get stroppy about the UE one at this stage.
  • sourcrates
    One of the debts is enforceable though, the one I'm paying £6 a month to. They are forever giving me hassle about that one and I don't want them to cut up rough if I get stroppy about the UE one at this stage.

Hi,

There’s no rough or easy treatment, they must treat you fairly, there ultimate weapon is the courts, they won’t make you pay more than u can afford, I favour a tough stance, I know it’s not for everyone, but in my books, the UE one gets nowt, and the other gets what’s affordable, if you stop paying these UE debts they usually tend to fall quiet and end up getting written off or just forgotten about or ignored.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • sourcrates wrote: »
    Hi,

There’s no rough or easy treatment, they must treat you fairly, there ultimate weapon is the courts, they won’t make you pay more than u can afford, I favour a tough stance, I know it’s not for everyone, but in my books, the UE one gets nowt, and the other gets what’s affordable, if you stop paying these UE debts they usually tend to fall quiet and end up getting written off or just forgotten about or ignored.

Thanks, as ever, sourcrates, for your good advice:T

I know what you said makes perfect sense but I find a tough stance nigh impossible. I'm a wimp:o

Also, this creditor, L**k have always been the most difficult and unhelpful of all my creditors.

You may recall that I've cleared over £50k of debt without OH or anyone else knowing a thing about it. I'm so near the end now and just want everything to be done and dusted quietly and as quickly as possible. I can't cope with hassle or playing mind games at this late stage with this creditor.
  • Hi,
    First of all, thank you very much all of your invaluable contributions to this forum.
    I have been reading this forum for the last four weeks and I can't explain how relieved I'm to see there is a light at the end.
    I have about £50K outstanding with 9 credit cards, 1 overdraft, and PayPal credit. None of these are default yet, but I have been struggling to pay minimum dues with borrowing money from elsewhere. I realized this is not sustainable and to go with self-managed DMP with Citizen advice site.
    I have opened an account with first direct and switch will complete on 11th March 2019.

Could you please advice me on below options? with relation to sending holding letters to creditors.

1. Should I wait until creditors contact me due to default payments? then I send holding letter
    2. Should I send the letters before stop minimum monthly payments to the creditors?

Also, what are UE credits? and how to identify them?

Many Thanks
  • sourcrates
    SJW68 wrote: »

Could you please advice me on below options? with relation to sending holding letters to creditors.

1. Should I wait until creditors contact me due to default payments? then I send holding letter
    2. Should I send the letters before stop minimum monthly payments to the creditors?

Also, what are UE credits? and how to identify them?

Many Thanks

Hi,

With regard to letters, it makes little difference, best to time it all together, so send straight after you stop making contractural payments.

I think your refering to unenforcable accounts, these are accounts where the creditor has failed in its duty to provide correct paperwork in response to a sec 77/79 (CCA Request).
  • Suseka97
    Suseka97 Posts: 1,562 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Thanks, as ever, sourcrates, for your good advice:T
    I know what you said makes perfect sense but I find a tough stance nigh impossible. I'm a wimp:o
    Also, this creditor, L**k have always been the most difficult and unhelpful of all my creditors.
    You may recall that I've cleared over £50k of debt without OH or anyone else knowing a thing about it. I'm so near the end now and just want everything to be done and dusted quietly and as quickly as possible. I can't cope with hassle or playing mind games at this late stage with this creditor.

I just wanted to say - well done CBC and you are a true inspiration to others for sure. I can understand why you would want to keep paying the UE one. I also intend, when the discounts are right, to clear my UEs simply because I want to draw a line under them and not worry that one day they (the DCAs) might just find that paperwork within the statute barred period, which for me is still 2 - 3 years away.

As to the way L*nk worded their letter- I wouldn't worry. It's just their standard blurb and written in such a way as to keep you on the back foot. They have no right to insist on you sending them anything, only the courts have that right. I have to admit that I would drop even the enforceable one to a payment amount you are happy with and ignore that stupid comment that anything below £5 needs a managers sign-off. That's just baloney. I have 3 enforceable debts with L*nk and still haven't paid them a penny since I sent off the CCA request back in 2017. They have received money from Barclaycard in the last few months, a refund that I was apparently entitled to for mishandling my account at the beginning of the DMP- and they sent that money to L*nk. What the little beggars then did is apply that to the account and remove an earlier 10% discount they'd applied, which increased the amount owed and are now chasing me for the balance. I'm playing letter tennis with them as I refuse to pay what they claim I now owe and from time to time I get a standard letter that offers me a payment plan to pay the balances over 4 years at piddly £s per month (and well below £5) - it's simply ridiculous and yet another example of their complete lack of professionalism.

Happy Sunday :j
  • sourcrates
    Suseka97 wrote: »
    They have received money from Barclaycard in the last few months, a refund that I was apparently entitled to for mishandling my account at the beginning of the DMP- and they sent that money to L*nk. What the little beggars then did is apply that to the account and remove an earlier 10% discount they'd applied, which increased the amount owed and are now chasing me for the balance.

Happy Sunday :j
    Oh that would really push my buttons that would, these !!!!!!s use the letter of the law to trip you up wherever they can, and yet it absolutly amazes me when we suggest using sec 77/79 to your advantage, against these massive conglomorates, all of a sudden its immoral.

You cannot bring a knife to a gun fight, they will have no hesitation in screwing you, you gotta screw them first.
  • I have a DMP with StepChange and have received a letter from one of my creditors - Lloyds Bank - advising that there is a refund due on my account of £140 following a review of their internal collections processes in 2014/2015. Their findings were that they did not always take the appropriate course of action. The refund is being applied directly to my account which is now with Cabot Financial.

My question is, should I challenge this? Might there be a larger refund due?

TIA
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure