Sports Direct - purchase online, possible to exchange at store?

Options
I ordered a rucksack online at Sports Direct. It arrived and the colour is awful.

So I really want to exchange it for the same item, but in a different colour.

Rather than all the hassle of posting it back to their returns department, is it possible for me to go to their local store and simply exchange it for the same item in a different colour?

Please no replies saying things like "probably". I'd appreciate replies only from people who have already done this or have tried to do this in the past. Thanks

Comments

• brettcta
    brettcta Posts: 4,693 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    probably not, no. you may have to return it to their online store, wait for the refund and re-buy at a store

or

learn by doing
    helpful tips
    it's spelt d-e-f-i-n-i-t-e-l-y
    there - 'in or at that place'
    their - 'owned by them'
    they're - 'they are'
    it's bought not brought (i just bought my chicken a suit from that new shop for £6.34)
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 14 October 2011 at 6:26PM
    Options
    I assume you have not read this yet...

http://www.sportsdirect.com/CustomerServices/Returns.aspx

But on this page it says...
    Unfortunately unwanted online orders cannot be returned back to our stores for a refund but can be returned to our stores for an exchange or a gift card providing that they are unused and you have your original invoice the packaging and any tags still attached. For information on your nearest store please visit our storefinder find a store here section on our website.
    Sorry, just re-read your last sentence.
    Please note I have not actually done this or tried to do this in the past.
    Hope that doesn't upset you too much. :D
  • wattc
    wattc Posts: 108 Forumite
    Options
    wealdroam wrote: »
    I assume you have not read this yet...

http://www.sportsdirect.com/CustomerServices/Returns.aspx

But on this page it says...Sorry, just re-read your last sentence.
    Please note I have not actually done this or tried to do this in the past.
    Hope that doesn't upset you too much. :D

I get annoyed when I ask a question and people respond with unhelpful stuff like "yeah, maybe", "probably not", "I dunno" and "learn by doing " :rotfl:

But you, wealdroam, I love you. Thanks for spotting that paragraph in the returns policy.
  • bris
    bris Posts: 10,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    wattc wrote: »
    I get annoyed when I ask a question and people respond with unhelpful stuff like "yeah, maybe", "probably not", "I dunno" and "learn by doing " :rotfl:
    What if it is the correct answer, when it come to stores CS some have different views, maybe one will refund, maybe another won't.
    In this case you really do learn by doing.
  • texranger
    texranger Posts: 1,845 Forumite
    edited 14 October 2011 at 8:31PM
    Options
    bris wrote: »
    What if it is the correct answer, when it come to stores CS some have different views, maybe one will refund, maybe another won't.

they come on here and say they dont want answers like "yeah, maybe", "probably not", "I dunno" and "learn by doing "

if it was me rather than come on here i would find their phone number and call them to find out.

the time it took the OP to find this site, find the correct forum to post in, they could have called them and then exchanged the item in store
  • chelle230
    Options
    I've ordered online then exchanged in-store before. I think it does confirm this on the delivery note if I remember correctly, was a while ago
  • SnowWhiterThanWhite
    Options
    Can definitely exchange in-store for different size/colour. If the store does not have the same item in your preferred size/colour, they will give you a credit note.
    Alternatively, you still have the option of returning item on-line for refund

HTH (I have exchanged shoes in-store which were purchased on-line)
    "Hope for the Best
    Prepare for the worst"
  • wattc
    Options
    texranger wrote: »
    if it was me rather than come on here i would find their phone number and call them to find out.

Check their website - they don't have a phone number.

They only have a page where you can email them. Any time I email them, I have NEVER recieved a reply. So they are pretty useless overall, hence me "coming on here" and asking my question
  • wattc
    Options
    In case anyone reads this thread in the future, here is what happened.

I went to my local Sports Direct store. They said they could exchange the rucksack for a different colour, no problem.

Then they tried to charge me extra! The difference between the price I paid online (which was about £11.20) and the price instore for the same item (£14.99).

I said I only wanted to exchange one colour for another, I didn't think it was fair to charge me extra. The lady behind the counter got the store manager. The store manager spent about 5 minutes explaining to me why she had to charge me the full instore price. And I explained I thought it was unfair to charge extra just to exchange one colour rucksack for exactly the same rucksack in a different colour.

Eventually she got the message I wasn't going to pay the extra. So she did some "price match" thing on the receipt and didn't charge me any extra.

A lot of hassle to change a rucksack for a different colour. But a lot quicker than posting it back to SP headquarters for a refund and ordering another online. Got there in the end, but they always make it difficult!
  • brettcta
    brettcta Posts: 4,693 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    bris wrote: »

i pretty much live my life by this adage. as a man of science, if i want to know what happens, learn by doing.
    helpful tips
    it's spelt d-e-f-i-n-i-t-e-l-y
    there - 'in or at that place'
    their - 'owned by them'
    they're - 'they are'
    it's bought not brought (i just bought my chicken a suit from that new shop for £6.34)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure