PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

meal planning - where do i start?

Comments

• Hi, I can really sympathsis. Could you perhaps invest in a slow cooker?. Also it maybe worth setting up a basic store cupboard like rice, pasta, bag of spuds., tinned tomatos, herbs, lentils, tomato puree and flour. Then its just a case of buying meat, locally if you can and whatever fruit and veg on offer from market/ green grocer. Also I discovered web book "How to feed a family a healthy balanced diet with very little money". The web link should be on Grocery challenge thread (about third post down). This gives good receipes and menu plans and shopping lists. I guess it can seem over whelming at first, but as you begin to eat better you and your bank balance will feel better:D HTH x
    Grocery challenge june £300/ £211-50.
    Grocery challenge july £300/£134-85.
  • DSmiffy
    DSmiffy Posts: 791
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Bit embarrassing really, I've have always been in the fortunate position that I've never had to scrimp and save on grocery shopping. If we wanted take away, we just had it, didn't even think about it.

However, due to the "current economic climate" OH and me are finding times much harder, plus there's a distinct possibility we may both be out of jobs in the next weeks or so, (we work together too!!)

I need to budget, but I've never had to do it before. I want to plan a months meals and buy all the ingredients at the beginning of the month. I don't even know where to start with this. In the process of running down the freezer at present but after that.....???

Had a look at the grocery challenge, but it's meal planning i need help with, also in the grocery challenge, does that include things like newspapers, toiletries etc?

Thanks in advance to anyone who has the time to help out a desperate parent.:o
  • Hi dsmiffy,
    my tip is only start with a meal plan over a few days. That way you know what works and what doesn't. I haven't been menu planning long but found what works for me was to pick meals with the same basic's ingredients i.e veggie mince cottage pie, spag bol, chil etc to buy. I have tin toms, rice, froozen veg, veg mince and pasta always in.

I did plan it as monday cottae pie etc but DH wanted to pick what he liked on the day ( I know, I know mr picky ) so I have my meals to have over a few days.

I have a good stock of herbs and spices. I get things that are reduced i.e carrots blanced and then froozen to use.
    I have started to save left overs more. Today I used all the left over veg from sunday dinner spuds, carrots, green beans and cabage and made veggie meat and potato pie. What was left over my DH is having it for lunch at work. I hardly used to do that as a had a dog that used to have over leftovers but now I don't I save them and try my hardest to use it up.

One thing I have stopped is the daily papers as you can get the information on line for free. I also found the threads on freezing foods very usefull.

Good luck
  • Olliebeak
    Olliebeak Posts: 3,167 Forumite
    Hello DSmiffy

I would echo what jimjam's mommy has said. Work a few days at a time until you get the hang of things.

Sort out what you're going to have for a meal and then work around any possible left-overs for the following day - or freeze them for another day if you don't want to be using the same stuff two days running.

Build your shopping list around your ingredients and then try to stick to it. However, don't forget that you need to be flexible enough to take advantage of any bargains that you find at the supermarket/market.

My son has got into the habit of going into Morrisson's (facing his house!) and checking out the whoopsies each evening to find out what's for his tea ;).

And always plan your meals around seasonal produce to get the best of what's available - eg at the moment potatoes and root vegetables are good value for money.

Don't forget to try Aldi, Lidl and Netto if you have any of those near to where you live - their vegetables are very reasonable, but you do sometimes have to get there early in the day to be sure of a good assortment.
  • I always have a stock pile of dried red lentils in the cupboard that I add to cottage pie, spag bol or chilli. It really helps to bulk the meat out and makes it go much further - possibly stretching to a meal for the next night as well.

If you live in the vicinity of several supermarkets, really use this to your advantage.....don't just give one your custom, become familiar with their prices and shop in each supermarket to obtain the best deals.
  • when you buy chicken, buy a whole one. tescos are three for £10 just now. and they are quite a good size. one whole chicken would do you probably four/five different meals plus a soup, then some stock to freeze. you could make all those meals and soup and stock in one day, and freeze the lot. start with a roast, then maybe a curry, then chicken in a cream and mustard sauce with rice, then chicken with a bit of bacon and pasta , the list is endless. and oh that home made chicken soup!!!
  • rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    some good advice here already. When I started meal planning I made a list of the meals that I like and eat regularly; I usually work to a weeks menu, check what I have in first, then do the meal plan around that, and finally make the shopping list

For a change, I also have a list of basics, my list is something like this (can't find my original, sorry) and I've just put a few of the options for each thing alongside

Roast (chicken, beef, lamb, turkey breast)
    Leftovers (bubble and squeak with cold meat or fried egg, pie, curry, meatloaf, soup, winter stew)
    Sausages or bacon (sausage casserole, toad, hot dog & chips, bangers & mash, egg saus &chips; fidgetty pie, egg and bacon pie, egg, bacon and mushrooms)
    Pie (home made, includes cottage pie etc, pastry pies and pizza)
    Pasta/Rice (lasagne, spag bol, pasta bake, savoury rice)
    Fish (fish pie, fish in sauce, fish in batter, home made fish cakes
    Meat (hunters chicken, braised steak and onions, liver and bacon)

I plan for leftovers (advice I found on OS) so if I do mash, I make extra for a pie topping or fish cakes next day; the day after a roast I make a meal from leftovers;

I'm only catering for myself so I can easily change my meal plan to suit. Some days I just want something light so might be just a couple of boiled eggs or cheese on toast. ;)

Edited to say, the Grocery Challenge can include whatever suits you. I include all food, toiletries, cleaning and laundry supplies. I dont include take aways (not too often). I think some people have different budgets for pet food, laundry and cleaning, entertaining (booze, meals out and take aways). Do it whichever way suits you best, as long as you're consistent you will still have a track of your money.
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • Magpie.
    Magpie. Posts: 125 Forumite
    I find it easier to plan one or two weeks rather than a whole month. I cook for me and one child.
    I also have a list similar to Rosieben where I list the meals we like under each meal category and start from there. I also make extra portions to be frozen, small pots for nusery packed lunches so DD gets a hot meal and use up leftovers if I possible can to stretch to meals for later in the month.
  • Jorgan_2
    Jorgan_2 Posts: 2,270 Forumite
    If you haven't got one already, it maybe worth buying a slow cooker. I've found we get another meal out of a chicken, for example. It may be only soup, but you stretch a chicken to three rather than two days just by adding a few veggies and you use less electric as well.

Don't forget to check out the discounted section in the supermarket, you can get some good deals.
  • champys
    champys Posts: 1,101 Forumite
    And if you are looking for inspiration on the sort of meals you might plan, just look at the weekly Menu Planning thread posted every Thursday. It certainly gives you ideas to see what other OSers are eating - and everyone is always happy to share their recipes if asked.

I keep seeing nice things and then put them in my desk calendar on the day after the last planned menu, and so on, so there is always a long list of meals written down - sometimes for weeks ahead. All I need to do on shopping day is create a grocery list to match. Really works!
    "Remember that many of the things you have now you could once only dream of" - Epicurus
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure