Halifax's cheque scanning gives me backache!

I recently realised that I could pay in cheques using the scanning facility in the Halifax app (Android) - I was quite excited as I get the occasional cheque and always like a bit of tech!

Well - how on earth do you get the app to scan the cheque quickly?! I have the cheque on a dark background and I hold the phone over the cheque, I make sure it's flat and within the L shaped corner markers, square on etc etc but it takes up to five minutes before the thing will suddenly go green and accept the scan.

I've never managed to work out exactly what the secret is to a successful scan, it just seems to do it eventually but by the time it does I've got backache!!!

Is there some secret to this that I've not yet discovered?!

Comments

• Murmansk wrote: »
    I recently realised that I could pay in cheques using the scanning facility in the Halifax app (Android) - I was quite excited as I get the occasional cheque and always like a bit of tech!

Well - how on earth do you get the app to scan the cheque quickly?! I have the cheque on a dark background and I hold the phone over the cheque, I make sure it's flat and within the L shaped corner markers, square on etc etc but it takes up to five minutes before the thing will suddenly go green and accept the scan.

I've never managed to work out exactly what the secret is to a successful scan, it just seems to do it eventually but by the time it does I've got backache!!!

Is there some secret to this that I've not yet discovered?!

It's an excellent app. Never had an issue and it takes me around 90 seconds from start to finish.

You do need to be quite precise and hold the phone steady but other than that there's no problem.

TBH even if it takes you 5 minutes it's still quicker and cheaper than taking a trip to the premises :)
  • northwalesd
    northwalesd Posts: 1,150 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Works very quickly for me too, and I don't even bother with a particularly dark background (though obviously different to the cheque colour). So no idea why it doesn't work quickly for you OP.
  • Works better than the Barclay's one which I used to use.

I don't use a dark background, but it seems to like a lot of light. Not sure if this is due to the device or the app.
    Keef - Sheerness, Kent UK
  • What phone are you using OP?
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Never had a problem with Halifax cheque imaging, I suspect perhaps your camera isn't resolving sufficient detail or isn't up to the task.
    ====
  • diggingdude
    diggingdude Posts: 2,445 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    It takes me a while as my camera won't focus properly and keeps blurring, however my brother has it and it works quickly
    An answer isn't spam just because you don't like it......
  • Just wrote myself a cheque (m&s bank) and paid it into Halifax by scanning: almost instantaneous. ;)

Quite why M&S can't move into the 21st century and offer online banking is beyond me, but good to know there are other ways to bank. :)
  • Murmansk
    Murmansk Posts: 906 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Well it seems others certainly find it easier than I do. Phone is a decent enough one - Honor Play less than a year old and £230 when bought.

I'll have to persevere - not that I get THAT many cheques!
  • redux
    redux Posts: 22,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    The only problem I've had with it is it's hard to get a decent scan of the number on the back.

But I submitted the last one even though I couldn't read the back in the picture, and it cleared anyway.
  • Number on the back?

None of the cheques I pay in have anything on the back. Why would they?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.9K Life & Family
  • 247.6K Travel & Transport