Money Moral Dilemma: Should I tell hotel staff the vending machine is dispensing free snacks?

Options
This week's MoneySaver who wants advice asks...
I regularly stay at a certain budget hotel, which has a vending machine near the entrance. Recently it's had an 'out of order' sign, but when I last stayed, I spotted some other guests using it. When I tried it out, I got a free pack of crisps. So the machine is working... it's just not asking for any money before dispensing items. Should I tell hotel staff?

Unfortunately the MSE team can't always answer money moral dilemma questions as contributions are often emailed in or suggested in person. They are intended to be enjoyed as a point of debate and discussed at face value.

:idea: If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

:huh: Got a Money Moral Dilemma of your own? [URL="mailto: mmd@moneysavingexpert.com"]Suggest an MMD[/URL].
[purplesignup][/purplesignup]

Comments

• maman
    maman Posts: 28,587 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'd hoped this board was a safe space from these anonymous, daft and pointless mse posts.:(
  • MSE_Kelvin
    MSE_Kelvin Posts: 341 MSE Staff
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    maman wrote: »
    I'd hoped this board was a safe space from these anonymous, daft and pointless mse posts.:(

Sorry to have upset you maman. Was tricky to find a suitable home for it as it doesn't fit easily under any of the usual MSE categories, but have moved the thread to the UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments board.

Cheers,

MSE Kelvin :beer:
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,479 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    If the fault has just occurred then I think the hotel should be informed. If it has been like that for days or weeks and they haven't noticed, I would be less inclined to do so, and more inclined to check if there's anything I fancy before it's emptied completely.
  • iclayt
    iclayt Posts: 454 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The late night reception staff are probably well aware :')
  • Davy_Jones_II
    Options
    Yes, you should,

It may also be worth speaking to a councilor to understand why you struggle to understand how decent people act.
  • JuliusCaesar
    Options
    Go down in dead of night and completely empty it.
  • joannebt
    Options
    No point vending machines are not run by the hotel and staff will just empty it, remember all the refunds you have been refused in the past because "it's not their machine", however you should take the chance to get all the purchases you are owed due to previous vending machines failing to give your previous purchases. :beer:
  • francophilissima
    Options
    YES. Next question?
  • REJP
    REJP Posts: 325 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I respectfully suggest OP looks up the meaning of the word dilemma.
    This is not a dilemma, it is a matter of not stealing from what is already a budget hotel, owners probably finding it hard to make a living. Tell Reception and pay up.
  • Matt8888
    Matt8888 Posts: 63 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    “Recently it’s had an out of order sign but when I last stayed I spotted...?!” It is hard to believe it has been out of order during several of your recent visits and on the latest occasion you saw it dispensing free snacks. This would have been picked up during the first restock since the fault, and restocks probably happens every couple of days. To add further doubt, if it had been dispensing free snacks, between those who discovered it, and those they told, it would have been emptied by morning, such is human nature. This all seems rather doubtful.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure