Neighbours roof leaking into my property

Hey everyone,

I live in a terrace house and recently noticed a damp patch on my bedroom ceiling, and followed it up to a leak which is coming from somewhere in the roof. Called insurance and roofers went up, they told me that it’s long term damage so not covered. Then the roofer said that the problem is coming from the valley where mine and the neighbours roof meets, which is actually on their side. (The neighbour has a council house).

I’ve spoken to the council who tell me if the neighbours house is not leaking they won’t fix the roof, even though it is their roof which is causing problems in my house. I just wanted to check if this sounds correct? I’d rather my pay for someone else’s problem if I can help it.

Many thanks,
Sam

Comments

• Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Sorry you have not had a reply for a few weeks. :(

Identify the manager at the local council who is responsible for repair and maintenance issues in their housing stock. Write ('Signed For' letter or e-mail) to that named individual, enclosing a copy of the roofers' findings.

If that fails invoke the council's formal complaints procedure (again in writing). If that fails copy all correspondence to your ward councillor(s).

HTH! :)
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family