PC Gaming VS Console Gaming - What's your opinion

What do you think is the best type of gaming? Do you prefer PC gaming or Console gaming?

Here's the things to focus on

Do you agree that mouse control is better with pc gaming when it comes to first person shooters, think of how the mouse controls the gun so much better than a console controler

Then there's the entire genre of (MMORPG Massive Multiplayer Online Role Playing Games where you need the keyboard controls to cast spells and to interact with the gameworld that I don't think consoles will ever be able to match

Then there's always going to be the overall graphics quality is going to be much higher on a computer

Comments

• The downside of PC gaming is that you need a good spec. PC to play the games. Console games are designed for the console so no issue as to whether your graphics card is good enough. I used to prefer PC gaming, but now solely use console for gaming, and PC is for email, internet etc. My PC is old now, but still works fine. Couldn't play modern games on it even if I wanted to.
    In terms of controls, console game designers seem to do quite well in designing the controls to suit the game. I've had no issue. Even playing Elite on PS4 is straight forward.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    edited 12 December 2018 at 11:54AM
    Hi Bigphil

You don't need to fiddle around with upgrades with a console. They just work.

Here is a good question. Has anybody ever played minecraft on both console and computer and does anybody have a preference?

Same question with regards to Call of duty? Any difference between console COD and PC COD?
  • PC will always win in terms of graphics, but this comes with a price tag attached.
    You'll get far more lifespan for your money with a console, take the last generation xbox 360. £300 on release day in 2006 got you a machine that runs GTA 4 in 2008 and GTA 5 in 2013. Even if you factor in £50 for each game, you'd never of got a PC for £400 in 2006/2008 or even 2013 that could do this.

I've never played Minecraft (apart from 10mins to see what the fuss was) but it will soon be possible to plug a mouse/keyboard into an Xbox One so if its enabled for Minecraft, then I can't imagine you'd see any difference between a PC and Xbox on the controller side of things.
  • El_Torro
    El_Torro Posts: 1,451
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    One great thing about PC gaming is all the mods you can install to games. This can drastically change the experience (for the better).

I agree that PC gaming comes at a high price though. My current PC is 4 years old, when it can no longer play the latest games I'll seriously consider buying a console instead of a new PC. Even if the console only lasts me a year or two I should still be quids in when compared to keeping up with the PC minimum requirements.
  • System
    Community Admin
    edited 12 December 2018 at 11:55AM
    So you'd say that console gaming represents better value for money!

So on one side PC gaming has better graphics and is more expensive and can play different games but console gaming is better value for money...

Yeah I have to say I've not actually ever played minecraft either. It is the kind of game I think I'd like though, it looks thoroughly absorbing :)

Are you saying that an Xbox 360 could play GTA V in 2013?? Is that true? Did they even make GTA V for Xbox 360?
  • System
    Community Admin
    El_Torro wrote: »
    One great thing about PC gaming is all the mods you can install to games. This can drastically change the experience (for the better).

but do you have to be quite savy to use Mods such as understanding a bit of code and so forth or not? I know youv'e got things like Garys Mod for CS GO.
    El_Torro wrote: »
    I agree that PC gaming comes at a high price though. My current PC is 4 years old, when it can no longer play the latest games I'll seriously consider buying a console instead of a new PC. Even if the console only lasts me a year or two I should still be quids in when compared to keeping up with the PC minimum requirements.

How much longer do you think you can squeeze out of your 4 year old pc machine out of interest? Do you mind sharing the specs? I've watched those youtube videos where they use the old components to see what games they can play and sometimes it's amazing what games can be played on really old hardware from 10 years ago or even more in some cases depending on the game

• Are you saying that an Xbox 360 could play GTA V in 2013?? Is that true? Did they even make GTA V for Xbox 360?

Most certainly did, didn't get the online upgrade, and took 2 discs to install it but its available.

The post about MODS is valid, but certain games are allowing these on consoles too now (Skyrim) I imagine its ones vetted however as opposed the vast mod communities available for far more PC games.
  • System
    Community Admin
    I didn't know that :)
    If you can get games that will work on hardware that old then that's getting best value for money for sure and then you can add in the fact of used games.
    Are you able to buy used games for consoles any more?
    For pc's the used game market is pretty much a non starter now I think to be fair.
    Does anybody remember when you could walk into CEX and there was always a que back in the 2007/2008/2009. Massive ques for buying and selling games hahah but now not so much
  • El_Torro
    El_Torro Posts: 1,451
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    That is a good point but do you have to be quite savy to use Mods such as understanding a bit of code and so forth or not? I know youv'e got things like Garys Mod for CS GO.

I imagine you need to be quite tech savvy to create good mods, I wouldn't know, I've never done it. Using existing mods tends to be easy though, just follow the installation instructions. There are also Mod Managers for popular games that make the experience even easier.
    How much longer do you think you can squeeze out of your 4 year old pc machine out of interest? Do you mind sharing the specs? I've watched those youtube videos where they use the old components to see what games they can play and sometimes it's amazing what games can be played on really old hardware from 10 years ago or even more in some cases depending on the game

My current PC:

i5 4690 CPU
    8GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 760 2GB Graphics Card

It's starting to get to the point that it's lower than the recommended specs for new games. I reckon I can squeeze another year or so out of it, by playing older games that I haven't got round to playing yet, and by accepting keeping the graphics toned down on newer games.
  • That's really interesting I definitely didn't know that :)
    You're right about value for money then. If you can get games that will work on hardware that old then that's getting best value for money for sure and then you can add in the fact of used games.
    Are you able to buy used games for consoles any more?
    For pc's the used game market is pretty much a non starter now I think to be fair.
    Does anybody remember when you could walk into CEX and there was always a que back in the 2007/2008/2009. Massive que's for buying and selling games hahah but now not so much

People have got to price Savy now. CEX are charging more for a used copy of a game than you can buy it from digitally from a foreign Xbox/Playstation/Nintendo store. The physical vs digital is another debate all together however, but personally having more options to where to buy games from with this generation of consoles, like you can with a PC has been a massive bonus for console gaming.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure