Student Finance Overpayment Help

Benji7
Benji7 Posts: 1 Newbie
I've recently withdrawn from doing a HNC course at my old college due to not being able to get the work in time (I'll get into the reasons later).
When speaking with teachers and the head of the course, we could either withdraw or ask for an extension and then try to meet that deadline.

The initial plan was to ask for the extension simply so we (there were 3 of us left on the course by this time and all 3 of us have now left on college's advice) could stay on the course and keep our maintenance grant as we'd just received the final payment.
After discussing this with the head of the course, she said she'd looked into it and that if we left on X date (it was the Friday after college received their last payment) then we could leave and we would still get to keep the money and not have to pay anything back right away.

I've just received a letter from Student Finance to say they've been notified I've withdrawn and my maintenance loan has been recalculated to about £800 less than it was. I've not been asked to pay that £800 but I suspect the next correspondence from will ask me to.

The reason for not getting the work done in time was partly us not doing as much as we should've in the start (obviously) but also there was poor organisation from the College's side of things.

It was initially meant to be a 2 year but then turned into a 1 year course (they informed us of this the day the cool down period expired to withdraw and didn't inform if we were entitled to anymore time to decide whether to come off the course or not).

We spent a month on one unit to then be told we actually couldn't submit that unit because it was level 3 not level 4.

We put all units on hold apart from 2 to try get the work up to date (and both teachers were confident that our work was up to scratch) and once submitted, the way we'd presented the work wasn't to the examiner's liking which left us with 1 month to do 5 units which then lead to missing the deadline mentioned earlier.

We went through the usual withdrawal procedure (I think we signed something that said we're responsible for any outstanding fees or something along them lines).

Is there anything I can do or get college to do so that I don't have to pay the £800 immediately. It's going to cause a bit of difficulty on me until I can get more hours on work.

I know it's partly my fault but I just feel a bit cheated given there was an option there where we could've stayed on and not been in this situation but then college told us that we could leave and still not pay anything back immediately. Any advice would be great.

Comments

• Becksies
    Becksies Posts: 15 Forumite
    Give the student finance company a ring, they'll ask for an SOA (statement of affairs that shows in-comings and outgoings) and they should agree an affordable repayment plan with you - they did with me and my over-payment was much higher than yours.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure