Anyone had good results with PPI firms?.

Hello all, I've been reading a bit about PPI and think there's a possibility I could be due a refund, is it only for the last 6 years or can it be back dated?.

I would like any recommendations for a firm to go through my case if possible, I do not begrudge them taking a reasonable fee but would like a recommended firm as there are so many!.

I have had 10+ cards, at least 4 loans, mortgages etc and just too much to plow through on my own!. Egg, Cahoot and Lombard seem to be mentioned a lot and I have had products from all three.

I think for me it will either be a claims firm or not claiming at all unfortunately.

Can anyone recommend a decent PPI reclaim company?.

Cheers, Keith.

Comments

• IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    No one should recommend a CMC, this is really nothing you can't do yourself.

You can go back further than six years if you or the lender can evidence PPI being in payment before then.

For what reason do you feel you may have been missold?
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,301 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    ello all, I've been reading a bit about PPI and think there's a possibility I could be due a refund, is it only for the last 6 years or can it be back dated?.

It all depends on the available evidence.
    I would like any recommendations for a firm to go through my case if possible, I do not begrudge them taking a reasonable fee but would like a recommended firm as there are so many!.
    You do realise that you will have to supply the CMC all the information. By the time you have done that, you would have spent just as long as doing it yourself.

I have had 10+ cards, at least 4 loans, mortgages etc and just too much to plow through on my own!. Egg, Cahoot and Lombard seem to be mentioned a lot and I have had products from all three.

Your data is not in the public domain. CMCs can check your credit record (as can you for free) but it only goes back 6 years. You will have to supply everything beyond that. Plus, your credit record doesnt tell you if you had PPI or not.

I think for me it will either be a claims firm or not claiming at all unfortunately.

I think you are overing expecting what a CMC does. Effectively they just collect all the information from you and put it in an envelope to the firms complaints address that they get from their websites. If you can put a stamp on an envelope then you are matching what the CMC does.

Can anyone recommend a decent PPI reclaim company?.

That is like asking what the shiniest turd is.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • LuxuryWoman
    LuxuryWoman Posts: 156 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Keith, the other posters are quite right.
    Claims firms have no special powers, there is no database they check and they literally take info from you and contact the firms on your behalf.
    Every bank and lender will have a dedicated link for PPI complaints on their websites, just look for them and fill them in as best you can then they will do the checking.
    Claims firms are no quicker, I have no idea why people still use them after all the publicity.

You may have good cases, you may not but you don't just give a claims firm your name and then sit back and wait for a payment.

I've been refunded over 20k across several accounts, I don't think in all I've spent more than 2 hours on my complaints.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,301 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Keith, the other posters are quite right.
    Claims firms have no special powers, there is no database they check and they literally take info from you and contact the firms on your behalf.
    Every bank and lender will have a dedicated link for PPI complaints on their websites, just look for them and fill them in as best you can then they will do the checking.
    Claims firms are no quicker, I have no idea why people still use them after all the publicity.

You may have good cases, you may not but you don't just give a claims firm your name and then sit back and wait for a payment.

I've been refunded over 20k across several accounts, I don't think in all I've spent more than 2 hours on my complaints.

And just think how much of that you would have lost had a CMC been involved? For the benefit of keith, that would be about £8000 of that redress going to the CMC and VATman (CMC services are subject to VAT @ 20% - So, you have to add that on to what you pay them).
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • keithmac
    keithmac Posts: 41 Forumite
    I assumed (wrongly) that the PPI claims company did all the digging and could trace all my accounts back but it seems not!.

Egg Card are no longer in existance so I'll have to do some digging on where they ended up (Barclays may have bought them out?), sounds like a dead end?.

Lombard are now part of RBS I beleive?, same again I can see me getting nowhere fast with that one.

Cahoot are still going, I had a flexible loan with them too.

Will have a look through the websites and see what turns up!.
  • LuxuryWoman
    LuxuryWoman Posts: 156 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    keithmac wrote: »
    I assumed (wrongly) that the PPI claims company did all the digging and could trace all my accounts back but it seems not!.

Egg Card are no longer in existance so I'll have to do some digging on where they ended up (Barclays may have bought them out?), sounds like a dead end?.

Lombard are now part of RBS I beleive?, same again I can see me getting nowhere fast with that one.

Cahoot are still going, I had a flexible loan with them too.

Will have a look through the websites and see what turns up!.

I had a refund from Egg via Barclays in January this year, the links are all on The Barclays homepage. The others, just do a bit of digging.

I found Barclays extremely helpful, 10 mins to fill out a form, after a couple of weeks they called me with some simple questions to clarify a few points and shortly after £2.5k landed in my bank.
    It's really ok to say you don't remember to questions asked BTW.

Please spend an hour or two at the weekend, it could be very worthwhile indeed.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure