Tax Credit overpayment.

Hi all,
I received a letter from HMRC today about an overpayment me and my (then) wife received between the years of 2010 and 2012. Turns out it's because my earning were higher than we'd declared.
As it's almost £20,000 (not a typo!) and clearly can't pay it all off in one go, and as we are now separated, I'm liable to pay half. They wanted £85 a month for 9.5 years. Impossible with all my other bills etc.
What I'm wondering is A) is there any way to appeal? And B) what will happen to her half? She doesn't work so is on benefits, it seems a bit unfair if I have to pay a huge wedge a month towards child maintenance AND old child tax credit, especially if her half gets written off or reduced. I won't be able to live.
Any advice or pointers would be most welcome.
Thanks
Tom

Comments

• Hi

A) Yes there is a formal appeal procedure that you can instigate. On what grounds will you be appealing though?
    and
    B) Don't worry about her half, it's not really any of your concern.
    £85 a month is just one extra shift a month, surely?
    Overactively underachieving for almost half a century
  • Tommyh2017 wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I received a letter from HMRC today about an overpayment me and my (then) wife received between the years of 2010 and 2012. Turns out it's because my earning were higher than we'd declared.
    As it's almost £20,000 (not a typo!) and clearly can't pay it all off in one go, and as we are now separated, I'm liable to pay half. They wanted £85 a month for 9.5 years. Impossible with all my other bills etc.
    What I'm wondering is A) is there any way to appeal? And B) what will happen to her half? She doesn't work so is on benefits, it seems a bit unfair if I have to pay a huge wedge a month towards child maintenance AND old child tax credit, especially if her half gets written off or reduced. I won't be able to live.
    Any advice or pointers would be most welcome.
    Thanks
    Tom
    Why was that ?
    Frankly you are getting off lightly, try taking out a £10k loan over 9.5 years for £85 a month.
    You have actually owed this money for five years, wont fully pay it off for another ten, all with no interest.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure