Child Maintenance Advise

Good Evening all,

My ex partner currently pays me direct the agreed amont each month which the csa advised him from his P60. Today he has told me that he is facing redundancy and has been offered a settlement payable to him by cheque. Therefore this will not show on his P45. He is saying he wont be able to pay me anything until he finds a new job of sign on. Am i able to claim some of his settlement amount?

regards

G

Comments

• It doesn't have to show on his P45 for him to pay you.
    Overactively underachieving for almost half a century
  • ? so i can ask the csa to investigate
  • I don't think he will have to pay child maintenance out of his redundancy/savings. How much is he likely to receive anyway. To be fair, he has said he will pay as soon as he gets another job so I don't really understand what the issue is here?
  • Redundancy payments aren't earned income for child maintenance purposes. As you say you're with the CSA, I'm making an assumption you are on the 2003 scheme.

If with this redundancy payout his capital, investments and equity in assets (excluding any home in which he or a child of his lives) exceeds £65k, you could apply for an assets variation to have the notional income on the assets included in your calculation.
    I often use a tablet to post, so sometimes my posts will have random letters inserted, or entirely the wrong word if autocorrect is trying to wind me up. Hopefully you'll still know what I mean.
  • MataNui
    MataNui Posts: 1,075 Forumite
    Nope. CSA website states that Redundancy payments are not earned income you you wont be entitled to any of it. The variation mentioned above may not amount to much if anything. CSA will assume a % to add. Not sure what the current figure is, it used to be 8%. That will be added to his income (you dont get it) thats used in the calculation.

Unless the payment is over 65K then you will get nothing. If its 100k then that would probably mean they adjust his weekly income up by around £150 (but remember if he is unemployed that will be all it is) then you get get whatever % of that after allowances etc as per the normal calculation. Also remember that he is entitled to use this for anything he wants and it will reduce anyway (if he is using it to pay you) so if you do get anything initially i would be pretty damn sure he will end up spending enough of it so you dont get anything next year.
  • i would be pretty damn sure he will end up spending enough of it so you dont get anything next year.

Really?????

Think you're judging people by your own standards there. Most non resident parents do everything they can to support their kids, financially and otherwise.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport