Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • theaugusto
    • By theaugusto 19th May 17, 8:54 PM
    • 8Posts
    • 0Thanks
    housing benefit , boarder/lodger
    • #1
    • 19th May 17, 8:54 PM
    housing benefit , boarder/lodger 19th May 17 at 8:54 PM
    Hello everyone,
    I have been living in a big city for a few years and have been receiving housing benefit, but due to the deterioration of mental health I've decided to move out my flat in the city and move to the country side , I've asked a family friend if he could rent me a room in his house and he agreed. what i wanted to know is would I still be able to claim housing benefit If I am a boarder in someone's house.
Page 1
    • GotToChange
    • By GotToChange 20th May 17, 10:39 AM
    • 1,255 Posts
    • 1,315 Thanks
    • #2
    • 20th May 17, 10:39 AM
    • #2
    • 20th May 17, 10:39 AM
    I think you can - it might be a lower rate, probably "shared house" rate vs. whatever you were getting as a sole occupant in your own apartment (which may not have been the full rent anyway?) And also it may be affected by moving from one Local Authority to another.
    Last edited by GotToChange; 20-05-2017 at 10:43 AM.

    • tboo
    • By tboo 20th May 17, 10:48 AM
    • 652 Posts
    • 3,922 Thanks
    • #3
    • 20th May 17, 10:48 AM
    • #3
    • 20th May 17, 10:48 AM
    How old are you?
    started on the No Clutter thread - 25/01/2018
    “You’re only here for a short visit. Don’t hurry, don't worry and be sure to smell the flowers along the way.” —Walter Hagen
    I don't have a diary but I do aim to be mortgage free by the beginning of August 2018
    30/04/18 £3600 to go // 15/05/18 £2349.37 to go
    • theaugusto
    • By theaugusto 20th May 17, 12:11 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    • #4
    • 20th May 17, 12:11 PM
    • #4
    • 20th May 17, 12:11 PM
    I am 28 years old
    • pmlindyloo
    • By pmlindyloo 20th May 17, 12:18 PM
    • 11,473 Posts
    • 13,366 Thanks
    • #5
    • 20th May 17, 12:18 PM
    • #5
    • 20th May 17, 12:18 PM
    You can claim HB as a lodger as long as you have liability for rent. Your landlord must not be a close family member.

    Your landlord would have to write a letter stating that you were a lodger in the house and that your rent was *****.

    You would be assessed for HB based on the shared accommodation rate. You can check what this is on the council's website.

    How much you got would depend on your financial circumstances,

    Are you claiming any means tested benefits? Are you claiming PIP or DLA?

    Your landlord may also be affected if you live in their house re: tax implications, if they are on any benefits.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

90Posts Today

1,272Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line?

  • RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

  • Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

  • Follow Martin