Amigo loans

Hi im new to this forum but looking for some advice.
About a year and half ago i took a loan out with amigo loans and everything was running smoothly untill i found out that my guarantor added not 1 but 2 members of the family without my consent!!. Obviously i wasn't happy with this and put numerous complaints in, but amigo seems to close the complaint with no othet means of replying and need to make another complaint and wait a further 8 weeks for another reply. So i looked in the loan agreement and unless I've missed it i can't see anywhere where it states the guarantor can add as many people as like without informing me see if im happy. So im now at my wits end and a top up and i can't have one due to the person who was added putting a stop to it.

So where do i stand and who i can contact in order to get these people off the loan agreement?

Any hejp would be highly appreciated.

Thanks Marcus

Comments

• Candyapple
    Candyapple Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    I would have thought that the more guarantors you had (didn't even realise you could have more than 1 with Amigo so have learnt something new) that Amigo would be more than willing to accept because it means they have more people to chase should you default on your payments.

Have you asked your original guarantor why they decided to add more people?
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
  • AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic

Dont get a "top up"
  • StopIt
    StopIt Posts: 1,470 Forumite
    About a year and half ago i took a loan out with amigo loans and everything was running smoothly untill i found out that my guarantor added not 1 but 2 members of the family without my consent!!. Obviously i wasn't happy with this and put numerous complaints in, but amigo seems to close the complaint with no othet means of replying and need to make another complaint and wait a further 8 weeks for another reply. So i looked in the loan agreement and unless I've missed it i can't see anywhere where it states the guarantor can add as many people as like without informing me see if im happy. So im now at my wits end and a top up and i can't have one due to the person who was added putting a stop to it.

So where do i stand and who i can contact in order to get these people off the loan agreement?

Thanks Marcus

You're looking at the wrong issue.

Why are you having to rely on Amigo Loans and why do you need yet more money from them?

Head to the DFW board as people can assist you there, and if you're in debt trouble speak to a debt charity like StepChange ASAP.

In debt and looking for help? Look here for the MSE Debt Help Guide.
    Also, If you need any free and impartial debt advice, the National Debtline, Stepchange, and the CAB can help.
  • National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi Welshman2017

Welcome to MSE. According to the Amigo Loans website you can only change your guarantor if you have paid off your loan in full or you become eligible for a top up. A top up is a new loan you may be able to get on top of an existing one if you meet certain conditions.

https://www.amigoloans.co.uk/question/can-i-change-my-guarantor

There is no mention of being able to have additional guarantors. It also doesn’t seem it would be possible as the loan has to be paid into the guarantor’s account to avoid any fraud, suggesting there can only be one.

Have Amigo loans confirmed that there is more than one guarantor on the same loan? I would suggest you try the complaints website Resolver to follow the complaints process all the way through to the Financial Ombudsman Service if necessary. Hope this helps.

https://www.resolver.co.uk/companies/amigo-loans-complaints

Susie
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • Brock_and_Roll
    Brock_and_Roll Posts: 1,207 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post

Thanks Marcus

Also from a legal perspective, you do not need the consent of a borrower to issue a guarantee. For example, if I was sufficiently mad, I could agree to "guarantee all current liabilities, if any, of Mr XYZ to Amigo".

Happens all the time in commercial financial/insurance transactions.
  • Gambler101
    Gambler101 Posts: 580 Forumite
    You wont have 2 guarantors on your loan with Amigo, thats impossible.
    The instructions on the box said 'Requires Windows 7 or better'. So I installed LINUX :D:D
  • Another Amigo loan story.....

Just pay the loan off, do not get more!
    "All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered, the point is to discover them."

• MataNui
    MataNui Posts: 1,075 Forumite
    Or is it just a case of you wanting to top up the loan and the current guarantor not wanting to do that and they are just telling you a story?

Not that there is a problem with that. Its 100% their choice if they want to guarantee additional borrowing or dont want to.
  • Richey_
    Richey_ Posts: 334 Forumite
    You could argue it's not actually your loan but the guarantors, that's why they pay the money to the guarantor on approval of the loan and not you. You are just the payee until you fail (harsh but they expect you to) and then they chase the real person who took the loan out and they paid the money to....... the guarantor.

I am not sure how they can allow you a second guarantor with out giving out more money, are you sure you don't have more than one Amigo loan with different guarantors?
  • SnowTiger
    SnowTiger Posts: 4,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post

This doesn't make any sense.

Who told you two other guarantors have been added to the loan agreement? The guarantor? Perhaps they (the original guarantor) don't want you to extend your loan and is using that as an excuse.

https://www.amigoloans.co.uk/question/when-am-i-eligible-for-a-top-up:
    What is a top up?

A top up loan is a way of customers with an existing loan borrowing more money from Amigo.

You don't need to have cleared the balance of your original loan, because we would use the top up loan to settle the outstanding balance, and pay out the difference. However, you can't have more than one loan at once.

You can apply for a top up loan using either the same guarantor or a completely new one, as long as they are aged 18-75

Can't you apply for top up loan using your original guarantor as a new guarantor?

The top up loan would pay off your current loan and give you the extra dosh you want.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure